VW T6 4motion esc disable

mars2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263452
I would like to disable ESC on my VW T6 TSI but when I go on abs module and ask for long coding help it says that my car is not supported.
Attached a scan of it.I’m using vcds 16.6

On that one I have a lot of DTC because I try to change the last two digit from 00 to 01 ( 04 also do the same all the other digit are rejected). with that ESP is disable but I get orange light on dash for no esc,no abs, tyre pressure and all sort of DTC because of disable ABS.
Will you bring the Long coding helper for the T6 in futur?
If so when do you think it will be available?

The Esc on the T6 is very intrusive and you can't disable it with ASR switch like I could on my old T5.
I'm going crazy with that thing as on mountain road it activate the brake in every curve because it think's i'm too fast.
Also on snow when pulling brake to make tight curve the ESC make the Van pull straight. Already end up in a snow wall.

I would also like to know if it's possible to change some setting so that I can left foot brake?

Code:
Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104)       Labels: Redir Fail!
   Part No SW: 7E0 907 379 P    HW: 7E0 907 379 M
   Component: ESC           H05 0132  
   Revision: 00000000    Serial number: 43255000001382
   Coding: 557EC39865698485AA7EC377A6832196780001
   Shop #: WSC 02739 790 50316
   ASAM Dataset: EV_Brake1ESCCONTIVN75XGP2 011001
   ROD: EV_Brake1ESCCONTIVN75XGP2_VN35.rod
   VCID: 3FCE8820A62955BBE0-806B

3 Faults Found:
0039 - Front Left Wheel Speed Sensor 
          C101A 4A [137] - Incorrect component(s) installed
          MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 3
                    Reset counter: 14
                    Mileage: 12984 km
                    Date: 2016.07.27
                    Time: 18:03:30

0055 - Front Right Wheel Speed Sensor 
          C101B 4A [008] - Incorrect component(s) installed
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 54
                    Mileage: 12984 km
                    Date: 2016.07.27
                    Time: 18:09:10

0397 - TPMS Warning 
          C102D F0 [008] - Pressure Loss
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 21
                    Mileage: 11958 km
                    Date: 2016.06.30
                    Time: 17:14:40

Last edited by a moderator:

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
First of all, please change the coding back to it's factory setting - playing randomly with the values is really a stupid move.

Will you bring the Long coding helper for the T6 in futur?

Yes. ESC cannot be disabled via coding though.

If so when do you think it will be available?

Once we're satisfied that it covers all options/models and is ready to be in customer hands.

The Esc on the T6 is very intrusive and you can't disable it with ASR switch like I could on my old T5.
I'm going crazy with that thing as on mountain road it activate the brake in every curve because it think's i'm too fast.
Also on snow when pulling brake to make tight curve the ESC make the Van pull straight. Already end up in a snow wall.
I would also like to know if it's possible to change some setting so that I can left foot brake?

All T6s have driven so far (incl. my own) have actually a very good ESC setup and I have not had a single case where it acted up! Since you emailed us the full scan, I went through it but couldn't find anything obviously wrong with it.

Based on your description, I may be stating the obvious here - but did you consider that the problem is you and not the car?

mars2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263452
Hi Thank's for your answer.

So I just went for a test with the T6 on a dirt road with the ABS, esc, disconnected by putting 01 at the end off the long code and now it's finally nice to drive.
I can pass curves side way drifting on the dirt with no interference from tarction control.
I try to pull e-brake to take some tight curves and it's also finally reacting naturaly ( opposed as with esc on where it doesn't want to turn with e-brake).
So i think, like that it will work perfect for the winter where I leave in the french alps.
I'm fifty year's old and in the winter the e-brake turning on snow and left foot brake have save me so many time when having spirited drive on snow/ice on my 34 year's of snow driving.
Last week I went up to the alp's and in every tight curve driving fast it was breaking before me and when I want to go WOT at the apex their is no power until wheel's are straight.
My van is on OZ ultaleggera 19' with 4 michelin PSS 255/40 and KW V3 coilover's and at the moment it's making 280hp and 420Nm on Oem turbo waiting to fit a LOBA LOCO-04 turbo to get some real power.

Before that T6 I had a T5 V6 3.2 24Valve 4motion with schrick cam's, supercharger, AWIC, Methanol injection... running with E85 making 450 Horse power. On that old T5 when I pressed the asr switch it will also disconnect the ESC. that was great.
Could enjoy driving sideway's on snow and a bit fo drift on dry B roads
That's what I would like to be able to do with the coding, having ESC/ASR disable when I pressing ASR switch
Because at the moment it's so frustrating when you arrive full speed in a curve and that you want to brake at last moment to have a good weight transfer to front to initiate a bit fo drift and then go WOT at apex but the esc decide to brake before you!
So at the end it's not you who is driving and you get super slow compare to what you are used to.

My Esc have nothing wrong it's just that VW set it up for people who don't enjoy driving or don't know.
At the moment it's not even possible to have 5 degree of oversteer on snow without having the ESC kick in to put it back straight so if you are used to drive with some drift to initiate curve the ESC can then become dangerous
because it will open your trajectory.
So the solution I find now is not perfect but so much better for me than OEM.

mars2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263452
Before that I try some other solution:

-removing ABS 30 amp fuse in engine bay. It was really bad as then I also didn't have airbag and fuel gauge.
- disconecting one of the Abs sensor same effect as 01 in the coding but more time consuming to change.

You say:
"Yes. ESC cannot be disabled via coding though."
But I see they can do it on Golf 7, their are different option off ASR switch.
see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is9i4KboP34

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Thanks for giving us some more background. It would have helped if you filled us in a little earlier than that, if the customer doesn't state otherwise we normally assume that a system is faulty - and start looking for the culprit. In your case it's working exactly as designed - except the problem is you and not the car. ;)

As for your solution/questions... What you changed in the coding is the type of wheel speed sensors, which results in an error being detected and the system going into failure mode. In that case, everything related is normally shut off - so ABS, ASR and ESP/ESC should now be completely offline. On MK60EC1/MK100 (Golf 6/7), there are options for different types of shut-off switches and their behavior - the reason for the existence of such options is simple, there are Audi/Seat models which have a rather aggressive target market while VW/Skoda is more on the conservative side (GTI/R models excluded). So while those systems need to cater to a broader audience, they contain options to do so. The T5/T6 doesn't have such variants/models, so there isn't a need for such options either.

That said, VW/Audi has always had the ability to disable systems when needed and since the T5/T6 is highly popular for all sorts of conversions those need to meet the requirements and also have proper ESP/ESC setup if required by law. An interesting read in that regard is the "Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge – Aufbaurichtlinien T6" (see chapter 2.2.6 for general information & chapter 2.2.6.5 for ESC disabling), which also explains what is possible (and possibly legal) and what isn't. To sum things up, what can be done is disable ESP/ESC but keep ABS/EDS/ASR working, if unavoidable this can be further degraded to ABS/EDS. Neither of these is done via coding though.

That said, any of these changes must comply with the European Union's regulations. In your case, disabling the system like this is simply not legal and while this may be your personal desire - you probably should take your driving skills to a closed track instead.

Please understand that Ross-Tech will not assist you with any of these steps for liability reasons and we specifically discourage others to use the above method as it has way too many unwanted side effects (aside from the legal concerns).

mars2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263452
Based on your description, I may be stating the obvious here - but did you consider that the problem is you and not the car?

Exactly the problem is obviously me wanting to use this Van as a rally car as I need to carry lot of ski's in winter. when I'm not carrying big stuff I have

- Audi RS2 full modded with V8 Torsen in rear wide front tyre and narrow rear tyre.
-Toyota GT86 with shitiest tyre I can find in rear and michelin PSS in front for drift.
- Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 310HP 620 nm rear wheel drive with rear LSD that one is in thailand where I go for work often.

Reactions: Uwe

mars2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263452
Thank's for the link unfortunately it's in German and even with google translator it's hard to understand

mars2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263452
From what I understand when I google translate this is no option to desacitvate the ESP.
So I guess the best for me is to put a switch on the dash that cut the connection of one of the 4 ABS sensor like that when I switch it off the ESP, ASR and ABS are out of order.
Perfect for slippery road's or when I want to have spirited drive.
And when back on highway cruising I flip that switch that abs sensor back on to get all the driving help's back.
I had something like that on An old Subaru STI

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I assume this is OK to post (since VW made it work on other models...), and it may not work, but try it :-)

Turn ignition onto position 1, turn on hazard lights, press the accelerator down and up 5 times... see if "ESC off" comes up on the dash :-)

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
That only works as long as you keep the hazards ON. Also it won't deactivate ASR. ;) It's essentially a roller mode...

Last edited:

mars2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263452
What about disconnecting steering angle sensor g85. This should only mess up with esp and leave the abs ok. At lest it what it did to my old t5 when I installed a golf 6 steering wheel before I did the steering wheel adaptation with vagcom. If I remember good I had no esp but abs was ok. I don't know why I did not remember that earlier. Will make a first test by messing up the g85 adaptation as soon as I got time towel on the van

mars2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263452
I'm surprised that on vw scene no tuner offer esp remap. On my Toyota gt86 i have esp remap and by pressing cruise control switch I can go through them and it will show by the needle of rpm gauges pointing on 3000 rpm for a few second to say I'm on map number 3 that is the drift map. This map allow wide angle of drift before it kick in. A bit like the drift position on focus RS

mars2

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263452
Some up date:

A frenchman like me from the mountain gave me an amazing trick for disabling ESP.
He told me to do the following: with engine running unplug and replug the ESP/ABS/.... Yellow 20A Fuse.
I did it work like a charm. Just ESP disabled and the warning light for tire pressure is on ( I don't care this one).
Then when you switch off the car and then back on every thing is back to normal with ESP in function again and no more warning light for the tire pressure.

So then I have install a switch on that fuse location so that I can turn it off and back on to disable the ESP from dash.
Work perfect.

Very important feature to be able to disable the ESP on snow.
I 'm finaly happy with my T6 TSI 4motion.

With that mode and ESP off I can still disable the ASR with the oem switch on dash and/or can activate the lock on the rear differential. that's great!
Should be deliver like that from Factory!!!

Last edited:
Back