Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163752
Hi guys..just a quick question...today I get a random call to my business from a guy who is having issues with his mk5 abs...I ask him where he is based and he says 700 kilos from me...I'm quite shocked at this point and ask him where he got my number from and he says he was reading through the net and stumbled upon a thread I started on Ross tech forums...so I'm under the impression he owns a vcds cable and he is registered on here...but he then says he doesnt have a vcds and he had to register just to see my post...so my question is can anybody register on here and see all the posts?? I was so sure only registered genuine vcds owners could register and post/read here?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, anyone can register for the forum; they do not need not be a verified VCDS user. The only registrations we outright reject are obvious spammers. People register for the forum but are not verified VCDS users are somewhat restricted in terms of what sections they can post in, but they can still see they what's on other users' profile page. In your case, that includes your company name (which you put there when you registered) and in pretty much everyone's case, it includes their country. I add the country when people register because I think it's valuable for the participants here to know roughly where others are located; this tells us a lot about the cars you're working on and the type of resources you may or may not have available to you.

Now I'm quite certain the caller did *not* get your phone number from the forum or from us. Your phone number isn't here in the forum at all. It is of course in our internal CRM system, but that system not at all accessible from the internet, and we do not give anyone such information. Still, if I Google your company name, Google has no trouble finding you and puts your phone number on the search results page. ;)

If you wish to remain more anonymous feel free to remove your company name and obfuscate your real name in your profile. I ask however that you keep your country.

-Uwe-

Shafo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163752
Aah I see!! No biggie tho !! Now I know☺

Reactions: Uwe

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Back when I worked at the VW dealer, I use to chime in on the VAG-COM section of VWVortex. There was some guy was ranting on how about our kits not being made in the US and Ross-Tech has no right to charge what we charge... just dumb champagne taste with a beer budget kind of stuff. I posted something like, sell your car, get a bike and use the rest of the money for education.

The following day at the dealer, I get a phone call. When I go into the Part Dept to get the call, a co-worker says the caller said he was a friend of mine, out of state phone number.

I pick up, "This is Jef....."

SO YOU THINK I SHOULD SELL MY CAR AND GET A BIKE!?

I politely and calmly proceeded to "tear him a new hole", having to bite my tongue since I was within earshot of customers. Then he has the balls to ask me to help him figure out what was wrong with his car while he had me on the phone. I'm paraphrasing here, but I think my response was along the lines of:

5rpGZSS.jpg

So anyway, the point of all this was... it may not take that much digging to find a phone number.

Found the thread during my lunch hour:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Usb-to-9-pin-adapter-Will-it-work-with-vagcom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back