A4 8K - Homelink retrofit

William

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238135
Hi,
I'm trying to retrofit Homelink garage door opener on my A4 8K, but I just can't find the way to connect the 3 button-unit to the J393 calculator.
This calculator is in the back of my car, and the cables I have don't go to the back...
The wiring guide indicates to connect the unit to the J393 by the B258 connector ("connector in the main wiring"), but I don't find this connector.

Anyone can help me ?

This connector is linked to the t32c connector of the J393 calculator (pin 32)...

William

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Ah, you're reading the Wiring Diagram (WD) slightly incorrectly. B258 is not a connector or plug-coupler; its a connection within the harness, somewhere. In your case it's the convenience LIN bus (LIN1 I think). Try probing round in your WD for something else connected to the LIN1 and make your connection there.

Have you already fitted J530?

supremo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245837
but attention is not b B258 but B528

William

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238135
Thanks for your answers...

I haven't already fitted the different components (J530 ou E284).. till I'm not sure the way to do it.

I was talking about the B528, you're right supremo !

I have an opening roof which might be connected there, but, if I understand the elsa schemas, it is directly connected in the back of my car.

I'll probably use a long wire to go and crimp the right pin of the J393.
The point that hurts my comprehension is the harness I received, dedicated to the connection of the homeland components into A4 8K, that provides 3 short wires equipped with pins, done to connect on or near the J519 (in the front of the car.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I have an opening roof which might be connected there, but, if I understand the elsa schemas, it is directly connected in the back of my car.

Yes, looking at my WD the LIN calls in to the sunroof controls and the anti-theft interior module; so find the violet/yellow wire in that housing and splice in there.

No, you're not understanding the WD correctly. It shows a direct connection to the J393 for clarity to let you know where it connects to. But the idea of the Bxxx connection points are to show there is a physical connection point somewhere in the harness that is a star spliced connection. They tend to be buried deep under all the black sticky harness tape and are a crimped connection that splices another wire into the main run.

Back to the WD, have a look at the page in Basic Equipment for 'Sliding sunroof adjustment regulator...' and you'll see the violet/yellow wire again, shown this time directly connected between J245 and J393. But also the offshoot with B528. This then goes to current track 353 and on 353 it goes to T6e/5. The *2 at T6e/5 says "see applicable current flow diagram" and I suspect this is for our Homelink.

If it was me, I'd not bother trying to find the physical B528, I'd create my own by finding the violet/yellow wire and splicing in to that. Much better still (utopia) would be to find that black 6-position plug coupler and paradise utopia would be if one chamber was empty and your wire with pin clipped in there. :)

I'm thinking of doing the exact same modification so might pull my sunroof controls to see what's there for you.

William

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238135
OK, I'll try to have a look this week-end directly from the J393.
And I'll tell you what I found...

supremo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=245837
ok the B528 connection you can connect to the mirror photochromic or motion sensor or roof I am attaching the diagrams

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Hello William,

I had a look at my car for you this afternoon:

PJstYXX.jpg

Open the sunglasses holder and you'll see a single torx head screw:

6bfUS9G.jpg

Loosen and remove screw, then gently get your fingers behind the mirror and gently but firmly pull down the overhead console:

XgQ8de8.jpg

Once down, the Homelink control button assembly resides under the Ultrasonic control unit (8K0 951 177 in my picture)

M1abmZ2.jpg

Look more closely, you'll see the LIN1 wire (violet/yellow) goes right to the Ultrasonic control unit. This is where I'd make my own 'B528' - don't worry about having to get a wire to the J393 in the back of the car when the wire is right there in front of you.

Yep, I bashed my thumb in February (jammed it in the car door actually). It's taking a while to grow out...

BeSYnym.jpg

How did he get in there...? :)

9SRWC4b.jpg

William

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238135
I'll have a look there this afternoon, but I don't remember this ultrasonic module... You have the OEM alarm option ?
I think this US module is part of it...

I also took off 2 flys last week from my front and rear lights... I within the problems I had to take them back, I wondered how they did to enter !!!

William

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238135
So I had a look...
I don't have the ultrasonic module, as expected...
But the opening roof control module in in the front... In its harness, a beautiful violet/yellow wire !

Do you think I can just crimp on it ?
Are you sure all the violet/yellow wires are to the J393 t32c / pin 32 ?

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
You have the OEM alarm option ?

Yes!

So I had a look...the opening roof control module in in the front... In its harness, a beautiful violet/yellow wire !

Yes, my iPhone was full yesterday, so I could not photograph it. My sunroof has the violet/yellow wire too.

Do you think I can just crimp on it ?
Are you sure all the violet/yellow wires are to the J393 t32c / pin 32 ?

Yes!

-and-

Yes!

I unplugged the plug-couplers and was able to bell (continuity test) the violet/yellow wire from the alarm module to the sunroof module to the J393.

When unplugging the coupler to the sunroof module, remember you have to slide the red clip back before you can press the release tab.

Reactions: Uwe

William

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238135
Good news !!!
I'll order the connectors and pins to make the "crimp" without braking the wires of my car...
I'll tell you !

Reactions: Uwe

William

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238135
Hello !
It works!!!
I did the retrofit 2 months ago, but on 2007 A5, my new second car :-) which is exactly the same... (Ok, you're right, I took all my time from june 2016...)
I bought connectors and pins to do the crimps properly.
It's just important to care to buy the rich reference for the homeland module (there is a US standard, and a french (at least) standard... (I first bought the US, doesn't work in France...)

Thank you all for your contributions !

If you want to do the same, don't hesitate to ask me.

Back