Developer Mode Access on MIB-units

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
I see that security code 20103 isn't documented. I know for sure higher MIB units accept this and NEED this for to change adaption channels.
This unit is as entry level as it gets. It's got a bezel within a bezel :). Sebastian might have different label files for the higher units, or he might need to add that security access. In any case I'm sure he'll see that, but hopefully it's before we release the beta.

Reactions: Uwe

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
I see that security code 20103 isn't documented. I know for sure higher MIB units accept this and NEED this for to change adaption channels.

Can you give me a brief overview of which channels require that specific code? Just MIB1 or MIB2 (or both)?

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
After some hours playing around with developer mode and the green engineering menu in my Golf I discovered that I cannot save anything. I tried to disable Loudness, and it works as I can hear the difference in sound, but as soon as I reboot the MIB the setting reverts to default. I cannot find any save button either. It's odd if these settings actually cannot be edited and are just there for pure debugging reasons...

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
I believe the units are basically the same, Nvidia QNX boxes, but have different graphics / skins. I believe the VW's have a few nicer options than Audi also. For the most part it all looks the same once within the "Green" menu from the videos I have seen. My test car has a standard MMI system with SD Nav and DAB (VW small screen system MIB1 I believe) and all I can "play around" with is:

-A fair number of AM/FM radio tuner timing settings (kinda useless)
-Input gains for all available devices - DVD, AUX, BT, Radio, iPod etc etc (can be set from normal menus / settings anyway)
-Stand by, Time out and power down settings (kinda useful)
-Menu Positions / Page Orders (I think - Not tested)
-Auto Brightness (On / Off - The only setting I found useful)
-Loads, and I mean loads of on/off data logging options (for everything from Radio to Voice Control)

Would post up some screen shots but am not sure how...

There are a good number of other settings also but nothing that you cannot set via the normal menu / settings screens... like brightness, Lowering volumes etc. I had a play with a MMI TechPack System the other week (VW large screen with HD Nav Google Maps MIB1 - like the video you posted) and I was lost. The menu structor was totally different and there were no tick boxes. In fact the menu system looked more like a "file" structor with nothing contained within the folders.

Actually I do remember there being an option to turn off Loudness though, on the standard MMI system.

DJAlix: Can you tell me where you find the Standby/Timeout, Auto Brightness and the Input Gain settings... Actually I found Input Gain but I can just view the values, are you able to change them? If so, how?

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
DJAlix: Can you tell me where you find the Standby/Timeout, Auto Brightness and the Input Gain settings... Actually I found Input Gain but I can just view the values, are you able to change them? If so, how?
Sorry, only just seen this :( Will have a dig around in a little bit and update

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
So...

Standby = Main > Power > Standby (min) = Slider moved from 10 to 60 (max)
Auto Brightness = Main > HMI > Auto Brightness Enable = uncheck / unselect box
Input Gains = Main > Audiomgt > input_gain = Input Source Gain XXXX:

AM
FM
MUCD
CDC
DAB
DVB-T
TV
SDARS
TIM
AUX
AUX Adap
DVD MFP
BT

*These are all options form the Audi MMI Standard / Small. The MMI TechPack has none of these options.

pechspilz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=12861

Did I get this right, I have to prepend the login code with an "S" in order to get an engineering session?
I tried just the number and I was unable set the developer mode channel to active.
(I'm using the latest beta)

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Correct, as shown in the screenshot.

pechspilz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=12861
Correct, as shown in the screenshot.

But is it S12345 (statically) to trigger the development session or is it S<INSERT-CODE_HERE>, for instance S20103 if the login code used to be 20103?

PepeVr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=47704
Does anyone find a way to save the updates done on the developer mode? Maybe next Beta? :thumbs:

pechspilz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=12861
Did the engineering session feature make it into 16.8.0?
I'm getting "Key S12345 is Invalid! Key must be 5 numeric digits: 00000 - 99999"
This is a MIB2 5F unit, MY 2016.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Mind posting an Auto-Scan? The feature is there but it may not be enabled for your specific unit.

spyderboyant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65474
Did the engineering session feature make it into 16.8.0?
I'm getting "Key S12345 is Invalid! Key must be 5 numeric digits: 00000 - 99999"
This is a MIB2 5F unit, MY 2016.

I have a Q7 4M 2017 and hae enabled "developer mode" adaption channel successfully. Unofrtuantely I cannot bring up the Green Engineering Menu (GEM). I have the MIB2 touchpad with the rocker switches. Does anyone know the sequence to get the GEM to display? I can push the left rocker up, right rocker down and get the RED Engineering menu but cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the GEM.

any help much apprecated...

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I remember something that on these devices you must press and hold left lower button.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I remember something that on these devices you must press and hold left lower button.
... and to get into the GEM you have to hold it for a ridiculously long time IIRC about 50 seconds.

spyderboyant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=65474
I have a Q7 4M 2017 and hae enabled "developer mode" adaption channel successfully. Unofrtuantely I cannot bring up the Green Engineering Menu (GEM). I have the MIB2 touchpad with the rocker switches. Does anyone know the sequence to get the GEM to display? I can push the left rocker up, right rocker down and get the RED Engineering menu but cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the GEM.

any help much apprecated...

For anyone interested, push both rockers up at the same time and hold for 10 seconds. I tried to set SWDL to update a firmware image that they had forgotten to add an exclusion for my factory version but the "SupportedTrains = " was still validated... It appears the GEM is only good for diagnostics (unless there is another version??!?!?!)

Rubinlight

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=326879
After some hours playing around with developer mode and the green engineering menu in my Golf I discovered that I cannot save anything. I tried to disable Loudness, and it works as I can hear the difference in sound, but as soon as I reboot the MIB the setting reverts to default. I cannot find any save button either. It's odd if these settings actually cannot be edited and are just there for pure debugging reasons...

hello, have you found the system to deactivate the loudness? thanks

Back