Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Testbench setup?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don, I got mine off Ebay from China for approx AU$115. It can be bought off AliExpress for a few $'s less. I initially thought it's a bit expensive for a breakout box but I've changed my mind since using it. It's well made, the activity LEDs are excellent, voltage display is useful, there's even an LED light on the OBD plug to help locating the socket in the car.

Matt

2. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    You've pretty much got it nailed there Don. In the 'olden days' of the VAG1551; the vehicle literally powered the test device from pin 16 and 4 for positive and negative respectively. You may also want to add a switch to simulate 'Terminal 15' and have a Terminal 15 to the DLC and another end to connect to the module, as some like to see 'ignition switched off' - as that is when they save stuff to EEPROM.

1) Not really. If you have to, a 120Ω should suffice
    2) VCDS needs + on 16 and - on 4, but add 5 too
    3) Yep, should be fine.
    4) No, and I don't think you'll exceed the maximum either...

(You're going 'SA Mining' - aren't you? )
    Zenerdiode: Got my ODBII socket today and I'm desperately trying to understand the pin-out on the 16 PIN connector for the VCDS dongle (in terms of your suggestion to include suitable terminal 15 points on my test-jig). I'm getting conflicting messages from various web sources, so I thought that I would seek advice from an expert!

My particular confusion relates to the status of PIN #1 on the scan tool. Lot's of websites say that PIN #1 is an "undedicated" pin. A few sites appear to indicate that PIN #1 is not connected at all, whilst others like the one on Wikipedia (see below) say that this is a Terminal 15 supply on VW cars and that it wakes-up the scan tool (I think this is what it's saying):

Question: Are you able to confirm whether a VCDS cable uses PIN #1 for the function indicated in the picture above? And if it is used for this puropse, whether it's wise to include a switch +12V signal on this pin in my test-jig?

Thanks in advance

Don

PS:Also, what is "DLC" (highlighted) in your response?
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Post Thanks / Like
    The HEX, HEX+CAN and Micro-CAN hardware does not utilize PIN1, however - the HEX-NET does. Since you do want Terminal 15 to be available for your modules and actually have a switch in your setup, it shouldn't be too hard to run that same Terminal 15 to PIN1.

DLC = Data Link Connector
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

5. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe, Eric, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sebastian: Many thanks for the information - and good suggestion. I'll run a T15 wire to PIN #1 just in case I ever upgrade to a HEX-NET (although I've kind-of developed a "special" relationship with my faithful HEX+CAN cable and abandoning it for a flashy new model seems like a mid-life crisis thing)!!
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    I've kind-of developed a "special" relationship with my faithful HEX+CAN cable and abandoning it for a flashy new model seems like a mid-life crisis thing

But who says you have to abandon it?

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

8. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ hmm............ It's very risky at my age to have a faithful wife (my current life-time partner) and a flashy new WIFI mistress - life would get very complicated!! Having two VCDS cables at the same time is kind-of similar - but I am aware of VCDS cable devotees that like to "live-on-the-edge" and have multiple cables (I'm not one of these folk).

Don

PS: Seriously, I assumed that the best option to upgrade would be to sell/trade-in my trusty old HEX+CAN cable (how could I be assured that my old cable would find a good new owner?)!

10. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Meh, VCDS interfaces are not like women; they do not get all bent out of shape if you have more than one to play with.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

12. Likes Bruce, Jack@European_Parts, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK - so I've now built and fired-up the first incarnation of my test bench based on the advice that I have generously received here- many thanks again to all who have contributed.

On the understanding that Sebastian and Jef agree to keep their laughter to a dull-roar (only kidding), it is with a certain degree of pride that I share the picture below:

During construction, it dawned on me that all that I really needed was a basic power distribution board and somewhere to anchor the Diagnostic CAN high/low wires from the OBDII socket! So that's essentially what the board does (hope that I haven't missed something vital).

Sebastian: I started to source DB25 connectors, but when I received the second-hand CAN Gateway (it came from your country), I found that the same jumper-leads that I use for Arduino circuits fitted the CAN Gateway pins perfectly (I've shown a bunch of these in the corner of the picture). I expect that I will need to find another solution for the larger pins on the BCM, but I'll persevere with this method for the time being. However, I did install the T15 switch that you (and others) recommended.

Jef:
    I tentatively hooked-up a 1 Amp variable power supply that I designed and built many years ago, and mercifully it seems to work OK - at least to supply the VCDS cable and the CAN Gateway. I measured the load with these two components connected and its only about 200 milliamps - and no problems yet with surge currents (thankfully). What is the current demand from a VCDS cable as a stand alone device?

Mattylondon: I haven't gotten one of those fancy break-out boxes yet - probably something that I can suggest in my next letter to the North pole as my present from Mr S. Clause!

Zenerdiode: Regarding your casual, but insightful aside "You're going 'SA Mining' - aren't you?", I couldn't resist connecting "the-cable-that-shall-not-be-named" to test how the SA search facility works. If I had-of given the issue greater thought, I would have realised, but I was surprised at the increased speed of the polling process. I guess that the simplicity of the set-up obviates the normal comms-crashes that doubtless occurs on the CAN bus when 20, or so control modules want to communicate with each other. Anyhow, with this simple set-up I was able to reduce the latency for re-connection to the module between polls, by 2 milliseconds. It seems that the overall time is reduced by about 10% on the test-jig. Still takes a while, but anything that reduces the end-to-end polling period is worthwhile (IMO).

Everything in VCDS appears to work OK, but I have a question for anyone who can help. After I removed the original control modules from the CAN Gateway list (to remove all the DTCs - I like a clean autoscan report), I tried accessing all of the RT screens. Only one problem - when I tried to access the OBDII Function screen, I got the following error:

Now, I probably should know the reason why this screen doesn't work and it's probably related to the fact that the only control module in the installation list is the CAN Gateway, but I would welcome a more informed explanation - please

Once again, your support and advice in my fledgling baby-steps is much appreciated - onward and upward!!!

Don

14. Likes delboy, mattylondon, Zenerdiode liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Don, it's looking good.

Only one problem - when I tried to access the OBDII Function screen, I got the following error:
    Ah, that's because OBDII is the function that the 'generic' fault readers will interrogate, at address 0x33 and physically lives in the ECU. So you'll need to expand your workbench to include an ECU.

T15 Switch -----------
    Love it

16. Likes Uwe, mattylondon, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don, that is excellent

When I don't have the original connector to fit the control module I also use the same jumper-leads for Arduino circuits. For the larger pins I have use crimp terminals, such as the below, as they are available in various sizes and cheap (roughly £3 for 100).

As for communicating with 0x09 (BCM / Central Electrics), I had problems but didn't investigate it further to understand why. My BCM was powered correctly and connected to the gateway via the convenience bus high and low. The gateway knew the BCM was connected as I could see via Adv. Meas. Values, and could also see when the convenience bus was in two or single wire mode when disconnecting the CAN wires from the BCM. With that I couldn't directly access the BCM from VCDS.

Off the bench and in a real A8 4E the convenience bus seemed to be a star bus topology with a CAN connecting block at the middle, overall termination resistance of about 100 ohms should be present on a star bus topology. So I don't know if I needed any termination resistors on my bench setup as I didn't test further.

I could connect with other modules that were on the Drivetrain CAN, ACC CAN, and Instrument CAN buses.

Don, what's next on the list to connect and test on the bench?