Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Testbench setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    how does Uwe find all these clever people?
    I've rarely gone looking for people. Most of them found us...

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

2. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a question: Do Component Protection issues arise with test-bench polling and if so, do you have any tips for a rank-amateur?
    Don
    In my case, not a concern since I'm working with Immob2 and Immob3 generation modules. But I'd say Component Protection would become an issue on a bench top pretty quickly on the newer generation of modules that have that feature.

The only way I'd know to get around it... take the rig to the dealer and use drunk ODIS and fake it. I used my first bench top rat's nest rig to with drunk ODIS and got the PIN out of a Immob3 ECM.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...e-hard-way-%29

I suspect the same concept would work with Component Protection as long as the needed modules were talking.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

4. Likes DV52, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Jeff: thanks again for the response:. Although I'm not surprised by your answer, I was hoping that somehow there was a way (on a test-bench set-up) to "trick" the CAN gateway into believing that the test module had been previously registered with it. My immediate interest is MQB platform modules and as you know, the CP "constellation" for this platform is not insubstantial (plus-for MQB, it appears that all the interesting modules are captured by CP-damn!). The thought of having to "get down on bended knee and beg" (this is the appropriate phrase down here because many VW dealers simply refuse do these tasks unless they fit the modules as well) and to pay a dealer for this task is deeply distressing! Hmmm............... don't tell Uwe, but I might need to investigate the CP capabilities of the "other cable"!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Post Thanks / Like
    CP is IMO not a big deal when it comes to a bench setup. If you truly need matched control modules, that can be overcome by putting them in a suitable car or even by hooking the bench setup to SVM/GeKo but really, CP doesn't block any diagnostic functionality in the first place and so doesn't the immobilizer in most cases.
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

7. Likes Uwe, DV52 liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally to keep things flexible, and simple for immediate fast expansion on a daily .........
    I use an OBD2 break out box with lit LED com identifiers, and switchable pull up resistors.

All with serial and banana plugs ........switchable, ground 15 and 30 or even wake. ( comes in handy depending on what sate of probing you are actually doing )
    Sometimes to add fast expansion I plug two or more break out boxes.

The lit LED breakout is the shit, because it lets you know what you have com on K or CAN and sometimes I add a tail end logger.

CP can be initiated/adapted on the bench with or without GeKo/ODIS online connections......further, termination resistors are a handy thing, especially when looking to meet a simulated criteria in the car...... on the bench.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

9. Likes DV52, Zenerdiode liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Personally to keep things flexible, and simple for immediate fast expansion on a daily .........
    I use an OBD2 break out box with lit LED com identifiers, and switchable pull up resistors.

All with serial and banana plugs ........switchable, ground 15 and 30 or even wake. ( comes in handy depending on what sate of probing you are actually doing )
    Sometimes to add fast expansion I plug two or more break out boxes.

The lit LED breakout is the shit, because it lets you know what you have com on K or CAN and sometimes I add a tail end logger.

CP can be initiated/adapted on the bench with or without GeKo/ODIS online connections......further, termination resistors are a handy thing, especially when looking to meet a simulated criteria in the car...... on the bench.
    JacK : Even more good ideas - thanks for the suggestions!

Is the LED box a commercial product? Sounds like it's something that I could build, but I would need to understand more about the loading limits for a CAN bus. As a preliminary solution (if I need to "see" if there is comms happening), I was hoping that I could use my trusty oscilloscope. I fully expect that my CRO won't be able to see the actual high/low states of individual pulses , but I'm hopeful that I can make-out the general activity on the comms lines in sufficient clarity to confirm that the test module is in discussion with the CAN gateway. Do you think that I'm being too naive?
    Don

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NZDubNurd View Post
    Does it's prove my "DubNurd" status, that I REALLY want to do this, but don't really have any use for it currently?

I like this thread.

I have pretty much the whole car loom from the A3 donor, so have all the OEM connectors. It'll be YEARS before I get a round to it though
    NZDubNurd: I'm reminded of the title to the old skyhooks song (I'm sure that you guys across the ditch have heard of skyhooks) - "Nurd" is not a dirty word!

Don

PS: remember - carp diem. My philosophy: it's important to feed and to nourish the inner nurd (the nurd and the opposable thumb is what separates us from the apes!- heaven help us all if the simian race ever learns how a CAN bus works!)
    Last edited by DV52; 04-09-2016 at 08:14 PM.

12. Likes NZDubNurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My philosophy: it's important to feed and to nourish the inner nurd
    I do that every day at work - We all hassle each other about it, because we're all the same.

I need to drag out "Revenge Of The Nerds" and watch it ;-) again ;-)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

New member and first proper post.

I kind of stumbled upon using an OBD breakout box linked to VCDS out of curiosity. I have been investigating CAN messages from various control modules within the A8 D3 platform and next on my list was to capture live messages on the CAN BUS between the J533 Gateway and J285 Instrument Cluster. Studying the current flow I noticed the CAN wires had a spur to the OBD connector (pins 3 & 11), which makes it easy to connect to my CAN analysing hardware via a breakout box.

Anyhow, since I had the breakout box I wondered if VCDS could communicate with the Gateway and whatever various other modules I had connected via CAN to the gateway on the bench, and yes VCDS works perfectly on the bench.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matty: OOOOH .... where did you get the OBD break-out box? And how much did it cost?
    Don