Testbench setup?

mattylondon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219022
Don, I got mine off Ebay from China for approx AU$115. It can be bought off AliExpress for a few $'s less. I initially thought it's a bit expensive for a breakout box but I've changed my mind since using it. It's well made, the activity LEDs are excellent, voltage display is useful, there's even an LED light on the OBD plug to help locating the socket in the car.

Matt

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
You've pretty much got it nailed there Don. :) In the 'olden days' of the VAG1551; the vehicle literally powered the test device from pin 16 and 4 for positive and negative respectively. You may also want to add a switch to simulate 'Terminal 15' and have a Terminal 15 to the DLC and another end to connect to the module, as some like to see 'ignition switched off' - as that is when they save stuff to EEPROM.

1) Not really. If you have to, a 120Ω should suffice
2) VCDS needs + on 16 and - on 4, but add 5 too
3) Yep, should be fine.
4) No, and I don't think you'll exceed the maximum either...

(You're going 'SA Mining' - aren't you? ;) :D)

Zenerdiode: Got my ODBII socket today and I'm desperately trying to understand the pin-out on the 16 PIN connector for the VCDS dongle (in terms of your suggestion to include suitable terminal 15 points on my test-jig). I'm getting conflicting messages from various web sources, so I thought that I would seek advice from an expert!

My particular confusion relates to the status of PIN #1 on the scan tool. Lot's of websites say that PIN #1 is an "undedicated" pin. A few sites appear to indicate that PIN #1 is not connected at all, whilst others like the one on Wikipedia (see below) say that this is a Terminal 15 supply on VW cars and that it wakes-up the scan tool (I think this is what it's saying):

2aVA5KR.png

Question: Are you able to confirm whether a VCDS cable uses PIN #1 for the function indicated in the picture above? And if it is used for this puropse, whether it's wise to include a switch +12V signal on this pin in my test-jig?

Thanks in advance

Don

PS:Also, what is "DLC" (highlighted) in your response?

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
The HEX, HEX+CAN and Micro-CAN hardware does not utilize PIN1, however - the HEX-NET does. Since you do want Terminal 15 to be available for your modules and actually have a switch in your setup, it shouldn't be too hard to run that same Terminal 15 to PIN1.

DLC = Data Link Connector

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Sebastian: Many thanks for the information - and good suggestion. I'll run a T15 wire to PIN #1 just in case I ever upgrade to a HEX-NET (although I've kind-of developed a "special" relationship with my faithful HEX+CAN cable and abandoning it for a flashy new model seems like a mid-life crisis thing)!!
Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've kind-of developed a "special" relationship with my faithful HEX+CAN cable and abandoning it for a flashy new model seems like a mid-life crisis thing
tyFGzUy.gif

But who says you have to abandon it?

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^ hmm............ It's very risky at my age to have a faithful wife (my current life-time partner) and a flashy new WIFI mistress - life would get very complicated!! Having two VCDS cables at the same time is kind-of similar - but I am aware of VCDS cable devotees that like to "live-on-the-edge" and have multiple cables (I'm not one of these folk).

Don

PS: Seriously, I assumed that the best option to upgrade would be to sell/trade-in my trusty old HEX+CAN cable (how could I be assured that my old cable would find a good new owner?)!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
OK - so I've now built and fired-up the first incarnation of my test bench based on the advice that I have generously received here- many thanks again to all who have contributed.

On the understanding that Sebastian and Jef agree to keep their laughter to a dull-roar (only kidding), it is with a certain degree of pride that I share the picture below:

kTTgfAv.jpg

During construction, it dawned on me that all that I really needed was a basic power distribution board and somewhere to anchor the Diagnostic CAN high/low wires from the OBDII socket! So that's essentially what the board does (hope that I haven't missed something vital).

Sebastian: I started to source DB25 connectors, but when I received the second-hand CAN Gateway (it came from your country), I found that the same jumper-leads that I use for Arduino circuits fitted the CAN Gateway pins perfectly (I've shown a bunch of these in the corner of the picture). I expect that I will need to find another solution for the larger pins on the BCM, but I'll persevere with this method for the time being. However, I did install the T15 switch that you (and others) recommended.

Jef:
I tentatively hooked-up a 1 Amp variable power supply that I designed and built many years ago, and mercifully it seems to work OK - at least to supply the VCDS cable and the CAN Gateway. I measured the load with these two components connected and its only about 200 milliamps - and no problems yet with surge currents (thankfully). What is the current demand from a VCDS cable as a stand alone device?

Mattylondon: I haven't gotten one of those fancy break-out boxes yet - probably something that I can suggest in my next letter to the North pole as my present from Mr S. Clause!

Zenerdiode: Regarding your casual, but insightful aside "You're going 'SA Mining' - aren't you?", I couldn't resist connecting "the-cable-that-shall-not-be-named" to test how the SA search facility works. If I had-of given the issue greater thought, I would have realised, but I was surprised at the increased speed of the polling process. I guess that the simplicity of the set-up obviates the normal comms-crashes that doubtless occurs on the CAN bus when 20, or so control modules want to communicate with each other. Anyhow, with this simple set-up I was able to reduce the latency for re-connection to the module between polls, by 2 milliseconds. It seems that the overall time is reduced by about 10% on the test-jig. Still takes a while, but anything that reduces the end-to-end polling period is worthwhile (IMO).

Everything in VCDS appears to work OK, but I have a question for anyone who can help. After I removed the original control modules from the CAN Gateway list (to remove all the DTCs - I like a clean autoscan report), I tried accessing all of the RT screens. Only one problem - when I tried to access the OBDII Function screen, I got the following error:

6g6rDke.png

Now, I probably should know the reason why this screen doesn't work and it's probably related to the fact that the only control module in the installation list is the CAN Gateway, but I would welcome a more informed explanation - please

Once again, your support and advice in my fledgling baby-steps is much appreciated - onward and upward!!!

Don

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Wow! Don, it's looking good. :)

Only one problem - when I tried to access the OBDII Function screen, I got the following error:

Ah, that's because OBDII is the function that the 'generic' fault readers will interrogate, at address 0x33 and physically lives in the ECU. So you'll need to expand your workbench to include an ECU.

T15 Switch -----------

Love it :D

mattylondon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219022
Don, that is excellent :thumbs:

When I don't have the original connector to fit the control module I also use the same jumper-leads for Arduino circuits. For the larger pins I have use crimp terminals, such as the below, as they are available in various sizes and cheap (roughly £3 for 100).

g3cYaEW.jpg

As for communicating with 0x09 (BCM / Central Electrics), I had problems but didn't investigate it further to understand why. My BCM was powered correctly and connected to the gateway via the convenience bus high and low. The gateway knew the BCM was connected as I could see via Adv. Meas. Values, and could also see when the convenience bus was in two or single wire mode when disconnecting the CAN wires from the BCM. With that I couldn't directly access the BCM from VCDS. :banghead:

Off the bench and in a real A8 4E the convenience bus seemed to be a star bus topology with a CAN connecting block at the middle, overall termination resistance of about 100 ohms should be present on a star bus topology. So I don't know if I needed any termination resistors on my bench setup as I didn't test further.

I could connect with other modules that were on the Drivetrain CAN, ACC CAN, and Instrument CAN buses.

Don, what's next on the list to connect and test on the bench?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Don, that is excellent :thumbs:

When I don't have the original connector to fit the control module I also use the same jumper-leads for Arduino circuits. For the larger pins I have use crimp terminals, such as the below, as they are available in various sizes and cheap (roughly £3 for 100).

g3cYaEW.jpg

As for communicating with 0x09 (BCM / Central Electrics), I had problems but didn't investigate it further to understand why. My BCM was powered correctly and connected to the gateway via the convenience bus high and low. The gateway knew the BCM was connected as I could see via Adv. Meas. Values, and could also see when the convenience bus was in two or single wire mode when disconnecting the CAN wires from the BCM. With that I couldn't directly access the BCM from VCDS. :banghead:

Off the bench and in a real A8 4E the convenience bus seemed to be a star bus topology with a CAN connecting block at the middle, overall termination resistance of about 100 ohms should be present on a star bus topology. So I don't know if I needed any termination resistors on my bench setup as I didn't test further.

I could connect with other modules that were on the Drivetrain CAN, ACC CAN, and Instrument CAN buses.

Don, what's next on the list to connect and test on the bench?

Matty: thanks for the suggestions: A colleague from another forum has research an independent supplier of BCM pins (thanks LIJetta18t) and he has found the AMP MCP Contact 1.5K Contact system to be a fairly good match (see the screen-shot below)

7hQSk3H.png

According to my colleague the part numbers are:
  1. 0.20-0.35mm2 = 1564980-1 Tin/1564980-2 Gold
  2. 0.5-1.0mm2 = 1241374-1 Tin/1241374-2 Gold
  3. 0.5-1.0mm2 two wire crimp = 1241376-1 Tin/1241376-2 Gold
  4. 1.0.1.5mm2 = 1534334-1 Tin
I utterly detest paying the atrocious prices that Dealers demand for Genuine VW connectors (they are good quality - but the mark-up is outrageous), so I would probably buy the AMP connectors if I was fitting new wires to vacant pins on the car. But your suggestion for using spade sockets is a much better idea for the test-bench environment.

Now that you have recounted your story about the BCM, I might try one of these as my next test module - although your experience with this control module doesn't bode well for a bog-rookie like me!

I was encouraged by Sebastian's advice (see previous post) that Component Protection issues wouldn't be a problem for a test-bench set-up but your explanation might well be symptomatic of this issue (I hope not).

Still, the BCM is such an interesting module on the mk7, that I can't pass-up the opportunity to at least try hacking the guts out of the little-beastie!

Don

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
On the understanding that Sebastian and Jef agree to keep their laughter to a dull-roar

I'm in no position to laugh at anyone's test rig....

1kjkPA2.jpg

This is the current state of my TDI ECM bench top test rig. :facepalm: The only thing I can do to make it worse is use masking tape.

Your set up looks good... you have done what I would consider a proper prototype. :thumbs: Peter has some bits for me to I can make the final TDI version... I'll take photos and document the build here.

As for power... I have from Ross-Tech a virtual car set up, CAN gateway module, UDS instrument cluster and a K-Line ECM and they are all powered up via a little wall wart, 12V 3A output, so not much.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What is the current demand from a VCDS cable as a stand alone device?
I don't have a good way of measuring it at the moment. The HEX+CAN interface uses a linear regulator to cut Vbatt down to 5V. That regulator gets warm, but not particularly hot, and it doesn't have any additional heat-sinking, so it can't be a whole lot.

when I tried to access the OBDII Function screen, I got the following error
That's because the Gateway doesn't speak generic OBD-II. You would need an ECU or a TCU (or both) to get any response from the functional (rather than physical) address for OBD-II.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
OK: first SA mining exercise completed with the CAN Gateway, easy-peasy-lemon-squeezey! Just setup the variables and let the procedure poll-overnight. Polled 100,000 candidate codes - took about 9.5 hours (2 reconnections/polling attempt, reconnection delay- 8 milliseconds). Only one SA found,20103. Perhaps no big revelation in the result - but as proof-of-concept, I'm delighted!!

Need to get-me another control module!!

I don't have a good way of measuring it at the moment. The HEX+CAN interface uses a linear regulator to cut Vbatt down to 5V. That regulator gets warm, but not particularly hot, and it doesn't have any additional heat-sinking, so it can't be a whole lot.
-Uwe-

Hmm..... never opened-up my trusty cable to look at what's inside - it would be kind-of sacrilegious to do this type of despicable surgery on my old friend - but I'm surprised that the whole-thing is powered via a simple three-pin regulator. Don't know why, but I had envisaged a sophisticated switch mode power supply - still given the load requirements, the fact that efficiency losses are not important and the voltage stability provided by a low impedance car battery, I guess anything more than a linear regulator is too much.

Don

PS: Don't have one of those proper Fluke meters, but my cheap Latvian multimeter suggests that the current draw of a VCDS cable is somewhere around 120 milliamps (varies a little depending on what the cable is doing)! Measured the current-draw by subtraction - with the 2 devices connected and then with the cable removed.
PPS: My cable is well out of warranty and you have whetted my interest- does RT frown on opening-up the dongle?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hmm..... never opened-up my trusty cable to look at what's inside - it would be kind-of sacrilegious to do this type of despicable surgery on my old friend - but I'm surprised that the whole-thing is powered via a simple three-pin regulator. Don't know why, but I had envisaged a sophisticated switch mode power supply - still given the load requirements, the fact that efficiency losses are not important and the voltage stability provided by a low impedance car battery, I guess anything more than a linear regulator is too much.
Simple is good. Besides, the basic design dates back to late 2003, and or even a bit further if you count the original HEX-COM (no CAN capability in that).

PPS: My cable is well out of warranty and you have whetted my interest- does RT frown on opening-up the dongle?
Not really. It's not like China, Inc. doesn't already know what's in there. :rolleyes:

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^ Uwe: not seen your original cable before. Thanks for the link. Love the irony of the software version - Release 303.1 - was this numbering a subliminal reference to RT's general fondness for weaponry (i.e. the 303 British service cartridge)?
Don

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Of course that wasn't the original interface. *The* original (production) interface was the ISO-COM.

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^ Zenerdiode - My bad. I certainly wasn't aware that there was a model of VCDS with a RJ45 Coupler option- haven't used one of those in years!!

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
^^ Uwe: not seen your original cable before. Thanks for the link.
Yup. We went through a bunch of interface designs and packaging early on. The ISO-COM was all through-hole components, optimized for hand assembly, and I used to assemble them myself. Trouble is it was hard to keep up with the demand, so outsourcing came into play.

Love the irony of the software version - Release 303.1 - was this numbering a subliminal reference to RT's general fondness for weaponry (i.e. the 303 British service cartridge)?
Don
No, that would have been Beta 308 -- which actually did exist. :cool:

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I'm in no position to laugh at anyone's test rig....

1kjkPA2.jpg

This is the current state of my TDI ECM bench top test rig. :facepalm: The only thing I can do to make it worse is use masking tape.

Jef: I'm trying to emulate your technique - I don't think that I'm quite to your standard, but I'm close behind :)
BCM%20Test-jig_2_zpsqetxa3dn.jpg

The BCM works a treat -I can interrogate it and it behaves when it talks back - I got lots of DTCs. How's this for an autoscan (not sure where the DTC is getting the mileage number-from)?
Code:
Tuesday,26,April,2016,16:19:51:03521
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 16.3.1.1 (x64)
Data version: 20160325
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN:    License Plate: TEST BENCH
Mileage: first scan   Repair Order: CAN G'way+BCM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 5Q0
Scan: 09 19

09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519)       Labels: 5Q0-937-08X-MV1.clb
   Part No SW: 5Q0 937 084 N    HW: 5Q0 937 084 N
   Component: BCM MQBAB M   H14 0106  
   Serial number: 00011309901220
   Coding: 0F0008424207005307A04082B10407080000000000000000000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00104
   ASAM Dataset: EV_BCMCONTI 010001
   ROD: EV_BCMBOSCH_VW37.rod
   VCID: 4385A3B4CA981924E9-8016

40 Faults Found:
5642 - Bulb for Rear Left Turn Signal 
          B11E9 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 234
                    Mileage: 10430 km
                    Date: 2015.09.06
                    Time: 12:14:02

6154 - Bulb for Rear Right Turn Signal 
          B11EB 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 12:14:02

6666 - Bulb for Low Beam Headlamp Left 
          B1217 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 1
                    Reset counter: 238
                    Mileage: 1048574 km
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 00:00:00

6922 - Bulb for Low Beam Headlamp Right 
          B1218 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:

8202 - Bulb for Left DRL 
          B121D 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:

8458 - Bulb for Right DRL 
          B121E 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:

10506 - Bulb for Left Tail Light 
          B12BE 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Mileage: 10442 km
                    Date: 2015.10.05
                    Time: 00:01:00

10759 - Bulb for Right Tail Light 
          B12BF 11 [009] - Short to Ground
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 00:00:58

10762 - Bulb for Right Tail Light 
          B12BF 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:

11786 - Bulb for Rear Left Fog Light 
          B12C7 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 00:01:01

12042 - Bulb for Rear Right Fog Light 
          B12C8 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 00:01:01

12298 - License Plate Light 
          B12CA 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:

12554 - Bulb for Left Back-up Light 
          B12CB 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 12:14:15

12810 - Bulb for Right Back-up Light 
          B12CC 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 12:14:15

14602 - Bulb for Left Brake Lamp / Tail Lamp 
          B133A 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 12:14:30

14858 - Bulb for Right Brake Lamp / Tail Lamp 
          B133C 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
             Freeze Frame:
                    Time: 12:14:30

135432 - Terminal S 
          B11A5 11 [009] - Short to Ground
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 6

137217 - Outside temperature sensor 
          B103F 1B [009] - Resistance Too High
             Freeze Frame:

264452 - No Communications with Anti-Theft Sensor 
          U10F4 00 [009] - -
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 4

267012 - No Communications with Anti-Theft Siren / Alarm Horn 
          U10F3 00 [009] - -
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 4

395273 - Control Circuit for Signal Horn 
          B1344 14 [009] - Open or Short to Ground
             Freeze Frame:

460041 - Heated Rear Window 
          B1265 14 [009] - Open or Short to Ground
             Freeze Frame:

533525 - Databus 
          U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
             Freeze Frame:

533781 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

539157 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

541973 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

542229 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

549141 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

549909 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

552213 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

554517 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

555029 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

555285 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

555541 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

556053 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

558101 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

558869 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

559637 - Databus 
             Freeze Frame:

919560 - Light Switch 
          B126A 29 [009] - Signal Implausible
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 3

947204 - Control Module for Wiper Motor 
          U10A3 00 [009] - No Communications
             Freeze Frame:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533)       Labels: 5Q0-907-530-V1.clb
   Part No SW: 5Q0 907 530 E    HW: 5Q0 907 530 E
   Component: GW MQB Mid    121 1109  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: 0000073193
   Coding: 010000342B086400EF0006481C0F00000001000000000000000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
   ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewLear 006010
   ROD: EV_GatewLear.rod
   VCID: 3365F3749A38A9A479-8066

Alternator: 

No fault code found.

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 00:48)--------------------------

Mattylondon: Your spade-socket suggestion worked-a-treat!! Rummaged around in my junk-box and found some that were just the correct size for the larger pins on the BCM (Terminal 30 and Terminal 31 pins). Thanks again for the suggestion.

Just a hint about your BCM (you mentioned that you couldn't get it to communicate on your test-jig). I had exactly the same problem, but I found that if I powered-up the Left/Right-side Terminal 30 light supply pins and the Terminal 30 central locking pin - the BCM came to life and VCDS could then interface with it OK. Give it a try!!

Sebastian: Notice what's missing from the autoscan report - No CP error (unless it's somehow mixed-up in the Databus missing message somewhere)

Don

Last edited:
Back