Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Testbench setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Anyhow, just ordered a VW coil from eBay - it's coming from a fictional land near to you which is vaguely connected to Australia and with which we share the same Monarch (not sure how efficient UK postage is- but delivery to the antipodes is not normally quick)!
    In my experience, postage from here to Oz isn't usually too bad unless the seller has been a cheapskate and sent it by boat I've sent a few things across to Oz including one item to Tasmania 3 or 4 years back. In fact the ECU, immobiliser and keys in my video were sent off to a guy in NZ once I'd finished coding them up and they only took 4 or 5 days to arrive if my memory serves me well.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    In my experience, postage from here to Oz isn't usually too bad unless the seller has been a cheapskate and sent it by boat I've sent a few things across to Oz including one item to Tasmania 3 or 4 years back. In fact the ECU, immobiliser and keys in my video were sent off to a guy in NZ once I'd finished coding them up and they only took 4 or 5 days to arrive if my memory serves me well.
    Gary: I like your optimism - we will see!

If I can indulge your kindness a little further -would you mind making a comment regarding my PS question, please (or is my question too specific to the Golf mk7 module on my instrument panel)?

Quote Originally Posted by dv52
    PS: Just to confirm my understanding - I'm assuming that the values that I'm meant to see in Advanced measurement (for the Instrument control module) if the coil reader is working properly is some response in the "Key identification" entries and some type of more-meaningful response from "Transponder ID current Key- Key Transponder ID" record - Is this correct?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Post Thanks / Like
    If I can indulge your kindness a little further -would you mind making a comment regarding my PS question, please (or is my question too specific to the Golf mk7 module on my instrument panel)?

PS: Just to confirm my understanding - I'm assuming that the values that I'm meant to see in Advanced measurement (for the Instrument control module) if the coil reader is working properly is some response in the "Key identification" entries and some type of more-meaningful response from "Transponder ID current Key- Key Transponder ID" record - Is this correct?

I've just checked this on my car and can confirm that the value you see for the "Transponder ID current Key" measuring block is the ID of the transponder that is currently inserted into the ignition. In my case, the ID value I saw next to "Transponder ID current Key" was identical to the value for "Transponder ID Key 2". I haven't tried with no transponder because I have an old school non-KESSY setup which still uses an ignition barrel and bladed key. The ignition needs to be on for VCDS to work and I don't really want to start unnecessarily dismantling my key to remove the transponder just to do a test, so I think we can take your results for granted that with no transponder present you always see a "N/A" value against the "Transponder ID current Key" measuring block

4. Likes DV52, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^ Gary: Many thanks for taking the time to confirm my question - much appreciated

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what it looks like (I had to raid the LED junk-box to make-up the simulated taillight/headlight board and the simulated rotary light switch still needs more work):

Don
    Don, I have a favor to ask. Do you think you can find the combination of pins/voltages on your ignition switch that tells the J527 to turn the ignition ON? I got a J527 here but I was expecting the switch (D - 5Q0 905 849 xx), which I don't have, to be better documented in the diagrams / less complicated than 5x "this pin goes to this pin" Otherwise I might have to source one (horrors). I can't take apart Andy's or Helen's MQB to probe for that info because they're both keyless (horrors, again). Thank you
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

7. Likes Jack@European_Parts, jyoung8607, Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe can kill this link if needed but "T6l" is the same connector name in the Mk5 and Mk7. Since the Mk7 diagrams fail to show what's what I suggested ASSuming it it wired like this random 2009 Mk5 Golf:

9. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607, Jack@European_Parts, Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We think we have this sorted and my Mk5 diagram theory is busted. Eric's gonna jump T6l/3 to T6/4,5,6

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that didn't pan out. Good news is the module is talking and i can see the terminal statuses.

12. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric: My test bench is still like a belligerent child - but it has evolved somewhat since the embryonic version in that early picture. Since the picture was taken, I also found it useful to have a separately switchable "S" contact in the ignition switch - this involved modifying the key switch (removing a spring) and extending the contacts for the S switch to an external single-pole-single-throw switch. You might consider doing the same

Don

PS: I'm more than happy to fire-up my trusty multi-meter and produce a logic diagram for the key switch connector if you still need it

Post Thanks / Like
    I do need it! I'm merely interested in a permanent terminal 15 solution so other modules can power up and talk to VCDS.

15. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post