Verizon lets copper phone lines lapse into ruin

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I thought that it was only a local problem. In the 'burgh, I'd estimate that 15% of Verizon's copper cable plant is hanging broken from the poles. Good for Pennsylvania and New Jerseystan for trying to hold them accountable under their franchise agreements!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/25/verizon_bad_cables/

brokencablebox.jpg

Verizon only cares about fiber, lets copper nets lapse into ruin – gripes

Jersey unsure why lines always crummy in Philadelphia

25 Feb 2016 at 20:34, Shaun Nichols

Verizon is taking heat in two US states over reports its cable lines have become dangerously neglected.

Officials in Pennsylvania and New Jersey are investigating complaints that the copper lines serving Verizon's DSL and phone services are posing a safety hazard as the wiring, poles and boxes under Verizon's care have not been properly maintained.

In Pennsylvania, a labor union filed a complaint with the state's Public Utility Commission alleging that the telco has not been taking proper care of its non-fiber lines, including failing to remove broken utility poles, letting wiring hang dangerously low to the ground, and letting the cabinets of cable boxes become broken and in some cases infested with animals.

The complaint alleges that Verizon is ignoring the areas where it does not have its FiOS fiber lines running in favor of the newer, more profitable fiber-to-home network.

"For many years, [Verizon Pennsylvania] has intentionally failed to maintain its physical plant in non-FiOS areas of the Commonwealth," the Communication Workers of America said in their complaint.

"The state of deterioration is now so advanced that poles are literally falling over, cables are sagging to the ground, animals and insects are infesting broken wiring cabinets, and the safety of VZPA's employees and the public is being jeopardized every day."

In New Jersey, meanwhile, a similar set of complaints surround the maintenance of Verizon's lines in the rural southern parts of that state. Like Pennsylvania, the areas of New Jersey in question are largely served by copper cables rather than FiOS and, similarly, are said to have been largely ignored.

"The failure of Verizon to properly maintain its copper lines in this region of the state has led to telephone interference and, at times, completely inoperable landline and Internet service,” state senator Jeff Van Drew said to the Press of Atlantic City.

“These problems are not only an inconvenience, they are causing public safety and quality-of-life issues and require action.”

Verizon said it will be present at an upcoming New Jersey Board of Public Utilities hearing on the matter.

"We are aware and will be there to hear from our customers," a spokesperson told The Reg.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Its' been clear for quite some time that Verizon doesn't want its copper network anymore. Initially, it seemed they felt that FiOS was the future, but they stopped expanding that network more than 5 years ago. Apparently all they really care about is wireless. :facepalm:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I have heard from multiple Verizon sources that the company's logic is that they can hire 4 wireless salespeople for the price of one CWA union repair person. The sales people make money, whereas the repair folks make waves.

Here in New Yorkistan, many of Verizon's landline trucks still have Bell logos visible under the paint, and I was working with a senior repair dude that was being upgraded to a truck that was "only" 10 years old as soon as he finished our repair-du-jour. I work in Verizon's FIOS footprint, and they will not sell me a POTS line even on a commercial account. We had a copper PRI line out for over a week due to "9mm fade" in the 'hood. The elderly and poor without access to cell phones were knocked out for *months* after the hurricanes a few years ago, and their repair crews are staffed so thin that they don't even have a dedicated person in the cage at the switching office to move/test pairs when a field tech needs to scrounge for working copper.

My wife occasionally is assigned to work with power crews doing utility pole replacements. The power company plants a new pole, moves their own stuff over onto it, then takes a chainsaw and cuts the top off of the old pole just above Verizon's (or the CATV company's) cables. Years later, those old "topped" poles are still holding Verizon's cables and have not been removed. Those pictures that Eric's article showed are typical for this case, and the one with the piece of pole hanging in the air by telco cables was probably the result of the power company having to take the bottom of the pole out due to an auto crash or something. The power company's crew tied them off as best they could with ropes, and Verizon never went back to clean them up.

It's about time that they are being dragged onto the carpet by the states, but I think that they need to be held accountable to every municipal franchising authority and even forced to remove their cabling if they do not want to provide quality/timely copper service.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Just had our weekly visit from a Verizon repair tech, because one of our PRI trunks is losing packets and slipping badly. They already played the swap the interface cards on both ends game more than once, and apparently found the last CWA guy who knows how to work a copper line tester in the entire area to see if it was a cable problem. Of the 25 pairs in the trunk (installed in 1992) feeding the PBX, they could find ZERO usable pairs...including the pairs that they are currently using! No, you can't make this stuff up. This guy is going back to the office, to ask his manager what they want to do. The answer will of course be the same as the last ten times, ie: don't call us (during those times when the PRI is actually working), and we can't call you because your phone system is broken..... :banghead:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
The answer will of course be the same as the last ten times, ie: don't call us (during those times when the PRI is actually working), and we can't call you because your phone system is broken..... :banghead:
You're probably better off ordering new service and terminating the old, unless it's still under contract, and it doesn't sound like it. New "PRIs" these days are typically delivered as IP/SIP over optical facilities (newly installed if needed) and converted to ISDN-PRI by a device onsite if you really insist on TDM service. That way you get yourself shiny new supportable transport. They'll never move the old stuff of their own volition.

Just had our weekly visit from a Verizon repair tech, because one of our PRI trunks is losing packets and slipping badly.
That said, problems with the local loop don't typically present as clock slippage (at least, not alone). Sure it's a local problem?

Jason

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
IIRC, there's still 76 years left on our contract! Long story, in the pre-cell phone days a CLEC signed a 99 year deal with my employer to provide 100% free business calls...in exchange for being the telephone company for our captive customer base. It was a brilliant business deal at the time, until cell phones cut off their revenue stream and they are still on the hook for the free services! If navigating the in-fighting between a CLEC and Verizon as the local loop provider isn't enough, they actually lose money every time that I pick up my office phone so there's no motivation on their end to keep even two 9's for uptime.

I actually dragged in a SIP carrier over our Internet fiber for backup outbound trunks last year, but they can't port 2,000+ DID numbers from the CLEC. On top of that, our bean counters don't want to cancel the free service, even if we lose half (or all!) of our incoming trunks every few days.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
IIRC, there's still 76 years left on our contract! Long story, in the pre-cell phone days a CLEC signed a 99 year deal with my employer to provide 100% free business calls...in exchange for being the telephone company for our captive customer base. It was a brilliant business deal at the time, until cell phones cut off their revenue stream and they are still on the hook for the free services! If navigating the in-fighting between a CLEC and Verizon as the local loop provider isn't enough, they actually lose money every time that I pick up my office phone so there's no motivation on their end to keep even two 9's for uptime.
Hah! So your service is from a CLEC who's not making any money on your account and leases the copper from Verizon. Good luck with that! :banghead:

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Hah! So your service is from a CLEC who's not making any money on your account and leases the copper from Verizon. Good luck with that! :banghead:

You would be surprised how much trouble a CLEC can get into for not routing a 911 call from one of their customers..... :popcorn:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
... 76 years left on our contract ... brilliant business deal at the time ... in-fighting between a CLEC and Verizon ... can't port 2,000+ DID numbers ... bean counters don't want to cancel ...
Hmm, let's see. Add all that together, carry the two... my calculations show "you're fucked". ;) My condolences.

I'd be laying a lot of CYA paper-trail, for lack of something more productive to do.

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I'll spare Art the trouble of posting this, although I'm sure he'll have an extensive rant to add when he's feeling better.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ne-lines/?mc_cid=193eaa3dd3&mc_eid=ac30b8596a

I'm sort of divided on this. I don't have a real problem with planning a transition away from analog POTS. It's a dead technology. But the way they're doing it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have trouble articulating exactly why. I guess I'd want or expect to see it done more proactively rather than as a break-fix response, but I can imagine a variety of business reasons why they don't.

Jason

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^^ Jason - Your link is good in that it confirms that Australia is the only country to still actively support its ageing copper-to-the-home network. I'm not familiar with Verizon wireless cell phone network, but from a client perspective, if the customer simply wants a reliable communication service (regardless of whether it's digital, or analogue) and it can be provided in this fashion - why not? I assume that the speech transmission process via the cell network infrastructure is blind to the end client, so they are unaware of what technology is used! It doesn't matter if the directive from head office is driven by a financial imperative - to me it simply says that cellular technology has advanced to a stage where it's cheaper (and better) than supporting the deteriorating copper network - a good thing IMO.

Down here we have just had a long debate about how to implement our National Broadband roll-out which is a government initiative to implement a 1st world comms facility for the country. The solution started life as a full fiber infrastructure, but with a recent change of Government, it has now become a fiber-to-the-node solution which then relies on copper-to-the-home for the final connection. It was touted as a cheaper solution, but what's become evident is that it's much more expensive because of the crappy copper network - and we have a much slower solution (both comms speed and roll-out time).

Don

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
The town I live in has an extensive fibre network, that's expanding all the time.

http://northpowerfibre.co.nz/coverage

Of course, I live directly to the right of centre, just over the hill from town, so won't get it.

I got pissed off with "Telecom" at the time my house was built, because they're a bunch of retarded clumps.

After 8 weeks of pissing around, I got a cellular home phone connection and have since upgraded to radio/wireless broadband and phone.

I buried the unconnected cables at the end of my drive, washed my hands of it, and now have a broadband phone provider who calls ME when I have a fault, and asks if it's OK for a tech to visit and fix it!!!

I have even disconnected the cables at the house end, just to make sure "Telecom" can't wreck anything in my house, through ineptitude :-)

Back