CCTA TSI valve actuator problem

toolkitguy

Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. Working on a friends CCTA 2.0L TSI in a 2009 Tiguan. The engine had a timing chain tensioner failure. New updated tensioner was installed, Cam Bridge with missing screen was replaced along with the chain that appears to be stretched around 1 cm. Bent valves were replaced and everything put back together. Now car run basically okay but has code P0341 stored. Camshaft position sensor out of range. The sensor was replace to no avail. Still have the code. Noticed some strange noise, some call it a rattle, and to me it sounds like the noise of a diesel engine. It happens like this. Starting the car first time in the morning the car idles smooth at 1000 rpm. After a minute and before the coolant temp gauge even starts to increase, tapping the accelerator the rpm drops to 750. So far so good. Increase the rpm slowly to 1500 and back to idle 750 and it functions smooth with no rattle or diesel sound. Wait a few minutes 2 to 4 for the engine to warm up, say about 150 F. Now slowly increase rpm to 1500 as before. passing through 1100 rpm the rattle or diesel sound starts then goes away at 1400 to 1500 rpm. Something is going on changing the INA Camshaft adjuster. Found Service Training Self-Study Program 824803 on the Volkswagen 2.0 Liter Chain-Driven TSI CCTA Engine.
http://teraknor.net/images/vwtech/20tsi.pdf
It explains some of the operation of this Vane cell on the intake camshaft. Not sure how to check for proper N205, 3/4 valve, and camshaft position operation. Any ideas?

El Polaco

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148074
Go into measuring blocks group 91 in the engine controller and see if the adjuster is changing with RPM. It helps to have data from a good working car to compare with. Like Jack suggested, oil pressure issues due to sludge could be an issue too as it sounds like the noise is showing up only after the oil has thinned out a little from engine heat. I would hook up a mechanical gauge and verify pressure is ok. Also, it doesn't take much to remove the oil pan and inspect the pickup tube screen. Are you confident the noise is internal on the engine? You could try disconnecting the drive belt just to eliminate any accessory noise.

Good luck,
j.

Reactions: Uwe

jono_p33

Reaction score
help with same issues

I have been over this thread and multiple places on here trying to diagnose an issue i am having with my 2.0TSI VW Passat 2008.

I have been getting the P0016 code.

Motor is completely rebuilt new everying, pistons, bearings, valves etc from a timing chain failure. \

It idles and runs and drives great but i still get this code. I have replaced both the crank and cam sensors and going over your thread about the chain i get the following ( i pulled all the covers off and re checked everything)

Intake to center point 62mm
cam to cam 124mm

As far as i can tell its right. i lined up all the marks with the new chain marks when installing. ( i do have a bently manual that i followed, and ECS tuning has my CC on file now :( )

The only item i have found is that the intake cameshaft adjuster was at 5.8 and didnt move at all when rev'd.

I did check the actuator in the test area 094 and the pin moves out as it cycles on and off, i have removed the n205 and it moves freely and everything in the engine was pressure cleaned before reassembly (so no sludge)

I do have a MICRO-CAN cable and i checked oil pressure to be around 3.0bar at 2000rpm and goes up slightly when reved and down to about 2.7 when in idle

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

Back