VW stereo

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
fuse on back of the radio was blown. with a new fuse in and radio set to center for all speakers. results are as following

left side; tweet-good door- no sound rear-no sound
right side; tweeter-good door good rear -no sound

why is it when i connect a stereo speaker to the pins in the back of radio, with radio set to left=i still get sound on right and vise versa for the right?? is my radio fried?

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi there,

Questions:
- Do you have an amplifier in the rear (behind the rear trunk trim panel, left), I did not see 'Monsoon' on the radio.
- Have you checked the Factory wiring diagrams to help identify the correct wiring, colors and components?

May want to check door wiring, you have lower A-pillar connectors where the wires enter the door harness.

- Worst case - you could just run new better quality speaker wires.

An Auto-Scan would be helpful too ;)

thanks,

drpeter

Reactions: Uwe

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
Wires are good. 3 of the speakers not working have shorts in the speakers themselves.

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
replaced the 2 door speakers and the 2 rear speakers.

both front and rear are 6 1/2" round speakers. the front are riveted on :banghead:

originally the front are a sub woofer speaker. but i put 2-way speakers in the front and a bass in the back. sounds better to me. have more of the stage sound in front of you.

still didn't figured out why the balance doesn't fully mute one side. but ....i have tunes...and who drives around with all the music to one side anyway???

another chapter closed!!

Reactions: Uwe

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
both front and rear are 6 1/2" round speakers. the front are riveted on

- Ah, yes... Thank you VW.. At the dealer during the 'window regulator fail' days we were drilling out rivets all day longs, good old days... until they dropped the warranty times, still made time but gone were the 80+ hour weeks ;)

still didn't figured out why the balance doesn't fully mute one side. but ....i have tunes...and who drives around with all the music to one side anyway???

another chapter closed!!

- I think that was a normal function, that you could NOT fully fade or balance a speaker out of sound.

Glad it all worked out for you.

I took the radio and speakers out of the 1996 GTI, I added 3 VDO gauges, they only tunes I have are from the VR6 (suitcase is gone(large heavy muffler)) :D

drpeter

Back