Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake Tools

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Fake Tools

I was wondering how you guys can spot fakes buy autoscans because I am active in various boards across the net on Audi stuff and occasionally I see people asking about buying clones because they want to be cheap.

I always try to encourage them too do the right thing and buy proper unit.

So if there is an easy way to know by someones Autoscan that they are using a clone I would like to support you guys further by not helping them when they are using cloned tools.

Possible?

2. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are two schools of thought on helping people ID fakes. Clearly identifying them will help customers with good intentions steer toward reputable sellers instead of getting taken in by fraudsters. But, it also advertises the existence of cheap clones while pushing the cloners to make their fakes harder to identify. It's a difficult decision to make.

I myself feel the same way you do. Unfortunately it's not a simple issue. Also, it's not my product, and my friends at Ross-Tech have made their feelings known on the subject. So while I've picked up on a couple of the more obvious "tells" over the years, I won't discuss details beyond "hot or not" (as Andy put it recently).

One piece of advice I can give: ask for an Auto-Scan with the latest released version of VCDS. If it works with the latest, it's legitimate.

Jason

4. Likes Eric, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks but perhaps you misunderstood me or I you I have a genuine cable, but its others that are on various forums posting up auto scans, is there a way to tell from their Auto scan that they are using a cloned tool?

If there is a indicator in the scan text, then I will not give them tips or repair advice based on them using clone cables and doing Ross tech out of business.

6. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by delboy View Post
    Thanks but perhaps you misunderstood me or I you I have a genuine cable
    I understand what you're saying... I've asked Ross-Tech the same question for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by delboy View Post
    is there a way to tell from their Auto scan that they are using a cloned tool?
    Ross-Tech themselves have some insight, but they don't make their means public, for some of those complicated reasons I mentioned above.

Again, the easiest thing is to ask for Auto-Scans with the latest release. You should always be running the latest, and VCDS itself will prompt you to upgrade. Auto-Scans from very old versions of VCDS should be considered a red flag.

Jason

8. Likes delboy, Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm afraid the exact methods we use to spot a clone are something of a trade secret, for the reasons Jason already enumerated.

I'll re-inforce what he said though: Anything less than the current version is suspicious, and the older it is, the more suspicious it is.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

10. Likes jyoung8607, delboy, Mari, Derek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is the latest 15.7.3 has been already cloned
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    Problem is the latest 15.7.3 has been already cloned
    Then you can assume it won't be current for much longer.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

13. Likes jyoung8607, delboy, smokey08 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Already? if the lazy twats worked as hard developing there own products they might by now have a product worth marketing.

On the subject of clones

Last edited by Uwe; 02-04-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: That vid deserved to be embded. :-)

15. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    When people ask "Outside" of the Ross Tech forum, I would imaging 2 options you could reply with, No 1 would be to get them to log into this web site and post the same questions for the gang here to then ask regarding the Hardware and Software etc, as its not up to me to state the equipment is legit or not.. then if they don't use your option No 1, then No 2.. Don't help them !

17. Likes delboy liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason i don't update to the latest version of software is getting the cable software linking to the car. Saying that i upgraded to the latest version for my mk3 leon and it communicated with the car no problem.....ahhhh....piece prevails throughout the land! or maybe i'm just thick!