Fake Tools

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
I was wondering how you guys can spot fakes buy autoscans because I am active in various boards across the net on Audi stuff and occasionally I see people asking about buying clones because they want to be cheap.

I always try to encourage them too do the right thing and buy proper unit.

So if there is an easy way to know by someones Autoscan that they are using a clone I would like to support you guys further by not helping them when they are using cloned tools.

Possible?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
There are two schools of thought on helping people ID fakes. Clearly identifying them will help customers with good intentions steer toward reputable sellers instead of getting taken in by fraudsters. But, it also advertises the existence of cheap clones while pushing the cloners to make their fakes harder to identify. It's a difficult decision to make.

I myself feel the same way you do. Unfortunately it's not a simple issue. Also, it's not my product, and my friends at Ross-Tech have made their feelings known on the subject. So while I've picked up on a couple of the more obvious "tells" over the years, I won't discuss details beyond "hot or not" (as Andy put it recently).

One piece of advice I can give: ask for an Auto-Scan with the latest released version of VCDS. If it works with the latest, it's legitimate.

Jason

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Thanks but perhaps you misunderstood me or I you :o I have a genuine cable, but its others that are on various forums posting up auto scans, is there a way to tell from their Auto scan that they are using a cloned tool?

If there is a indicator in the scan text, then I will not give them tips or repair advice based on them using clone cables and doing Ross tech out of business.

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Thanks but perhaps you misunderstood me or I you :o I have a genuine cable
I understand what you're saying... I've asked Ross-Tech the same question for the same reasons.

is there a way to tell from their Auto scan that they are using a cloned tool?
Ross-Tech themselves have some insight, but they don't make their means public, for some of those complicated reasons I mentioned above.

Again, the easiest thing is to ask for Auto-Scans with the latest release. You should always be running the latest, and VCDS itself will prompt you to upgrade. Auto-Scans from very old versions of VCDS should be considered a red flag.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm afraid the exact methods we use to spot a clone are something of a trade secret, for the reasons Jason already enumerated.

I'll re-inforce what he said though: Anything less than the current version is suspicious, and the older it is, the more suspicious it is. :cool:

-Uwe-

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Problem is the latest 15.7.3 has been already cloned :(

delboy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=192457
Already? if the lazy twats worked as hard developing there own products they might by now have a product worth marketing.

On the subject of clones

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevedevil

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268674
When people ask "Outside" of the Ross Tech forum, I would imaging 2 options you could reply with, No 1 would be to get them to log into this web site and post the same questions for the gang here to then ask regarding the Hardware and Software etc, as its not up to me to state the equipment is legit or not.. then if they don't use your option No 1, then No 2.. Don't help them !

golfhappy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=214466
The reason i don't update to the latest version of software is getting the cable software linking to the car. Saying that i upgraded to the latest version for my mk3 leon and it communicated with the car no problem.....ahhhh....piece prevails throughout the land! or maybe i'm just thick!

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
The reason i don't update to the latest version of software is getting the cable software linking to the car. Saying that i upgraded to the latest version for my mk3 leon and it communicated with the car no problem.....ahhhh....piece prevails throughout the land! or maybe i'm just thick!

I know you can never say never, but usually the software is tested on quite a variety of vehicles by staff and enthusiasts alike, before it goes on release. Not just the car side either. Sometimes the installer gets a tweak and this is tested on the variety of machines we have. :)

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Well it seems I overstated things re: current version is definitely legit, but it helps. I'm a bit out of date on that stuff as I don't shop for clones very often. :D

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
du3LRUJ.jpg

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
I want to learn how to recognize a vcds clone via Auto-Scan.
Is this possible somehow for a non-Ross-Tech-Employee?

Last edited:

itavaltalainen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=178722
Think all we can do is go by s/w version number, though I have seen some 60£ HEX V2 interfaces with 17.x software on eBay recently (ran a search to gauge what I could sell my old HEX-CAN for).
A photo of interface is usually the only other way 'us' users can go by.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Sorry, we will not release all information about how we know that a post is from a fake. To do so would be to help the fake producers.

The V2 mentioned is actually a HEX-CAN that has been mod'd to have the fancy lights of the V2. It also has been reported as really unreliable. Surprised there is not more push back about it out on the web. Sure, they copied the shell design and the lights but none of those are identical to our V2 parts either.

I agree, a photo is the best means for others to know it's a fake. Price is always a tip off. Locked to a version of VCDS and you can rest assured it is a fake.

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Sorry, we will not release all information about how we know that a post is from a fake. To do so would be to help the fake producers.

Yes, ok, I understand that completely...but thanks for your answer.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Sure and thank you for your willingness to help us fight the battle! It consumes a lot of time and effort. There is no good way to end it. The fake producers hide very effectively and law in China would make it difficult to bring a case against one should they be found. Our best means of fighting is constant vigilance on the web to shut down sales. That is a never ending job! We play the game whack-a-cloner everyday (think Whack-a-mole where you beat the mole into a hole and then it pops up in another hole.. )

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Our best means of fighting is constant vigilance on the web to shut down sales. That is a never ending job! We play the game whack-a-cloner everyday (think Whack-a-mole where you beat the mole into a hole and then it pops up in another hole.. )
Improved counter-measures in the software are a never-ending job as well.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ I entirely concur- IP theft is a despicable practice and those that knowingly participate in these trades (especially buyers) have hypocritical ethics. But in an odd and perverse way, the reprehensible practice is also a kind-of homage to the quality of your products and their industry standing. Yes, little solace - I agree!!

Don

Back