Let's see your workbench Bitches!

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
I need to gather ideas so I can set up my workshop.

My SO and I bought a house recently in the north end of Tacoma WA. It's a smaller house than we were in (so neither of our kids can move back in), and we wanted old with character, cheaper than market value so we could afford to fix it up and make it our own.

The resulting house gave me what might be called a 1.5 car garage. It's really about the width of a modern 2 car garage, which is to say scarcely wide enough to park two cars without door dings, but with a single width garage door off center.

This puts the V10 Touareg outside (not real popular with my lover but she picked the place), and my Porsche and two bikes inside.

We're going to be here a while and she's been prompting me to make the garage how I want it. At the place we rented it had a bunch of peg board over a full length bench:
IMG_20141031_092217_zps6f200f04.jpg

I was sort of moved in to the place above but it had room for improvement. In the cabinet that is open in the picture I had things like VCDS, Porsche IMSB tools, TuneECU, compression tester, etc. An entire shelf in the cabinet to the left I had what I refer to as "goo". Every tube of rhino mucus, grease, loctite, tar remover - you get the idea. Far right were things that would be frowned upon in NY apparently (enough to get me in the evening news but not the history books).

So here I am in the new place. Standing in the open garage door there's a bench along the right side which is interrupted by a man door. It's got room underneath it where I have my air compressor, tranny jack, floor jack, a 155 Howitzer shell because who doesn't have one of those, and some reloading equipment that I'd also like to have out where I can use it.

I'll post a pic of that later, but for now I'm turning to the right to the space between the man door and the stub wall leading over to the roll up garage door.

0115161513a_HDR_zpscdq5eecx.jpg

I've put every bottle of goo, oil, spray paint, etc on the existing shelves by the door. I stripped the wall of the previous 63 years of ideas and hung peg board, and started to organize.

As you can see, I started working in the lower right corner and I'm expanding as I go. It has actually changed some since this picture was taken.

So here's the problem. Peg board sucks. The idea is great, but it looks like shit and the little wire things they sell you don't work very well. Wrenches and hammers, sure. When you get to screw drivers they work okay for the larger sizes but don't take into account that small screw drivers exist. Allen wrenches? Never thought of that did they? Sockets? Total failure.

I've got some of those &#$*& annoying Harbor Freight strips that you clip sockets to. They're about as durable as single ply bath tissue. They get tweaked and the friggin little clips start falling off. I thought surely my local box store would have an elegant solution. Nope. They have a plastic version of the same socket strip but it's $24 and still made by a chinese kid.

I went to a local place called Tacoma Screw. The real one. Men work there. Real ones, who could identify a 5/16-18 socket head cap screw while blind folded. I wander around the showroom for a while looking to see what real mechanics buy to organize their stuff. I don't see much but grab the blue plastic tubs you can see in the picture above.

I take them to the counter and ask how much they are. They seem reasonable, so I ask how you're supposed to mount them. "Er, uh...". They don't know.

I start to say "I'm trying to find-" and I see the wall behind them. It's a beautiful array of sockets, socket handles, wrenches. It was enough to make your eyes moist. I point and say "-That! I want that. Sadly I have one of pretty much everything on that wall".

I explain how I've got a blank canvas and a joint debit card with the little lady. I've gone to all the usual places and can't find anything that will help a dude at home to organize his tools in such a fashion. By now I'm getting approving nods and grunts from people who are obviously picturing their own fur ball of a work bench at home.

First order of business was the blue tubs. They seriously don't sell the brackets required to hang them. So I said "how about I buy a piece of strap steel and you guys sell me some thick washers I can use to gap it out for the back of the bins and I'll drill it up at home and mount it to a board?" More than one guy there liked my idea and said they'd copy me.

You can see the end result in the picture. Punches and cold chisels in one tub, allen wrenches in another. I consider it a prototype and it will likely move soon, but it's quite solid. About $14 for the tubs, a couple of bucks for the steel strap and under $1 for the thick washers. Ten minutes on my drill press and a piece of scrap fence board.

Sockets. On their wall they had used some L extrusion aluminum which is mounted to the wall. The shelf created by one leg of the extrusion has been drilled, and they used small cylindrical nylon spacers, tapped for 10-32 and the perfect diameter to slip 3/8" drive sockets on. They sold me 40 of the spacers for about $12.

I obtained some super straight pine that I'll use to make my own L angle, and I'll create a set up on my drill press to blow an array of holes into the board shelf.

It will be right on 6' long, so I'm thinking of also drilling holes for screw drivers, etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to see what ideas you people have used that you're happy with for tool organization and use.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
I would show you a picture of my workbench, but I'm not sure where it is right now!

I do have some Tri-Board screwed onto the walls, so I can stick in screws and brackets wherever I want though. It's pretty handy! Some of it is a shadowboard - Like a proper grandads garage!

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
It's a smaller house than we were in (so neither of our kids can move back in)

You could have done like Chris Elliott's parents did on the TV show "Get a Life" back in the 1990's and fill their rooms with concrete as soon as they moved out so they had no way to move back. When the kid opened the door to his old room, the only thing he saw was a doorknob print in solid concrete! As a side benefit, it would reduce the heated/cooled volume of your house. :D

Seriously though, I can't help much with workbenches. Mine looks like a kitchen table, and has to be cleared off if I want to eat dinner on any given night. :( We have a roller tool cabinet in the kitchen, and I have a roller box in the bedroom for fine/electronics tools.

image_23323.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-magnetic-tool-holder-60433.html

One thing not to dismiss is the power of magnetic tool strips, as sold by Hazard Fraught in 18" lengths and frequently on sale at prices (currently $3.99) where you can't pass them up. Jack uses them in his shop's roller boxes to lay out his wrenches and stuff neatly in drawers, and I borrowed his idea for the roller box in my race car hauler. I have taken a few 1,000 mile trips, and every tool in the box stays exactly where I left it in the drawer. I have never used them on a wall as per their intended use, but the price is right and they are certainly better than pegboard hooks for anything that a magnet is attracted to.....

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
My workbench. I can't take credit for it; my grandfather built it for me as a housewarming gift after my wife and I got married. As built it actually had a framed 4x8 sheet of pegboard above the screwdriver rack for hanging and organizing tools, but I had to remove it when we moved since there wasn't room below the existing cabinets I wanted to keep, and the whole wall was already covered with pegboard anyway. Most of my tools live in a HF mechanic's rolling toolbox these days (out of frame) so this is just work surface. Pardon the mess... I've still not fully recovered from my Passat engine rebuild debacle over the summer.

workbenches-1.jpg

When I was little he actually made me a kid-sized workbench with my own tools, with custom made retaining clips and sockets to store my own set of tools. I wish I had a picture of it. It's still sitting at their house... I need to pick it up for my own grandkids to have someday. Have I mentioned my grandpa is awesome?

Now, my grandfather's own basement workshop... can't really be captured in one frame. I've tried. Here's a crappy panorama from last summer when I was visiting. I got about 80% of it. All of the spaces are used. And labeled. Including the space between the floor joists above.

workbenches-2.jpg

Last edited:

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
jyoung for some reason I'm unable to see the images in your post above.

Okay so this is where I got to yesterday while also trying to accomplish dozens of other tasks. The layout has expanded and I've hung my head in shame and used some of the old HF socket strips to collect 3/8" sockets for now.

0125160834_HDR_zpstdrl3m00.jpg

I also picked up an LED light and it is hard mounted to the rafter and pointed at this corner. In the picture above I have my halogen lights turned towards the corner, and I found that every time I needed a tool I had to swivel the halogen from the task at hand to the wall (rinse, repeat). So I got this dedicated light which has a cord just long enough to reach the junction box going to the lights over the bench. I'm going to put an outlet in the rafter to plug the LED light into and tie it into that bench light so it comes on every time you come in and flip the lights on. For now I've got a dedicated 15' extension that runs along the rafters and drops down to an outlet box on the far end of the bench.

I still haven't made my socket strip/screw driver storage set up (the piece of pine in the picture is part of it, and was just put there to size things up). I'm going to make a simple jig out of a piece of loose peg board I have (1" spacing built in) and go at it with the drill press.

0125160834a_HDR_zpsvmstyvzb.jpg

I did have my sand blasting cabinet way over in the corner but it blocked the cabinet doors and frankly I don't do much sand blasting (glass beads actually). It's now on the ground level under the bench. I've got my old Atlas Powder company crates in the corner, one serving duty for vehicle manuals and service records.

That bench was about 8-12" deep in a dumped out pile of tools since I moved, so it is starting to come together. The drill press will be moved down about half way and a vise will sprout from the near corner of the bench and my reloading press will sprout off of the other end.

I picked up a set of Milwaukee cordless drill/impact driver. Damn if that little impact driver isn't damn handy.

I've also got a row of plug in puck lights to stick under that white shelf.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
How do you justify paying for tools? In my head, if a job needs doing and I think I can do it with the help of some tools, if those tools can be obtained for about half as much as I'd pay someone to do the job - it's worth it to buy said tools. Like I said to the guy in our local tool mart between Christmas and New Year, when asked, "Is there anything else you'd like?" "Stoppit!! I'm already like a fat boy in a sweet shop!" :D

No workbench yet. But I completed a purchase on a new house at the end of November. After years of wrything around in single garages, this house has a large side garden where I can build at least a double garage (tripple would be utopia - if Local Authority planning and funds will allow). So lets say I go for a double, I'm open to suggestions for the following 'haves':

Must have
Should have
Could have
Ought to have
Might have

A first one to kick it off, for a double garage, is it better to have one double-width door; or two single-width doors?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A first one to kick it off, for a double garage, is it better to have one double-width door; or two single-width doors?
I much prefer single-width doors, provided they're wide enough. The standard sizes in the US are 8' (244 cm) and 9' (274 cm). The latter is considerably more comfortable than the former. Anyway, I like the single-wide doors because they are much more manageable when something goes wrong with them, and sooner or later, something will.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
How do you justify paying for tools? In my head, if a job needs doing and I think I can do it with the help of some tools, if those tools can be obtained for about half as much as I'd pay someone to do the job - it's worth it to buy said tools. Like I said to the guy in our local tool mart between Christmas and New Year, when asked, "Is there anything else you'd like?" "Stoppit!! I'm already like a fat boy in a sweet shop!" :D

No workbench yet. But I completed a purchase on a new house at the end of November. After years of wrything around in single garages, this house has a large side garden where I can build at least a double garage (tripple would be utopia - if Local Authority planning and funds will allow). So lets say I go for a double, I'm open to suggestions for the following 'haves':

Must have
Should have
Could have
Ought to have
Might have

Zenerediode: congrats on buying the new home - time to make those awkward decisions about what to keep from the old place - you know, the "absolutely must have stuff" that has been sitting in the corner for the past 10 years! My advice - be brutal!

My humble view is that it doesn't matter if you build a double, or triple garage. Within limits, garage space is like gas in a bottle -you will fill it regardless of the size. I reckon that the best garage/workshops are "L" shaped. Makes a clear delineation between "spanner junkie" area and the more delicate lab/electronics area (given your handle, I suspect that you dabble in the latter). My preference is for smaller -width doors, easier to keep the garage warm/cool and still get some ventilation (it's also easier to keep the beasties out - flies, lizards and snakes that invariably want to come into the garage and say hello when you are laying prostrate under a car!).
Don
PS: must have - one of those CAN oscilloscopes that European Jack described in his post. Don't have- one of those comfy man-cave couches!

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The same way your wife justifies paying for shoes and purses? :D

I don't have that problem. My wife probably has half of the entire Craftsman catalog in her roller boxes, and can't justify to herself buying new shoes or purses.....

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
All my tools have been acquired over time. I joked for years that I would start with a POS plastic tool box and some basic hand tools. Over time as I built up enough to overflow the basic tool box I would upgrade to one that had a couple of drawers in them - just in time for my vehicle/garage to get broken into.

One morning in the mid 1990s at 5am I walked out to my rabbit convertible and realized I'd left something inside. I came back out one minute later and saw that its stubby little tailgate was up and my tool box was gone. WTF? That box weighed a solid 50 pounds. I ran up the block where I could see any of three paths the crook had taken and didn't see him. I figured if that guy can run that fast carrying a 50 lb tool box I should let him have it.

What you see hanging on my wall now gets acquired as I need it, and some of them are damn handy. Ratcheting wrenches are the shiz - if you can get them into the spots you need. It always seems you need some strange combination of socket and extension to reach anything on the Porsche. Inside and outside Torx sockets, "triple square" drives, all come from the Porsche and my Triumph bikes. The 46mm socket is for the jesus nut on the single side swing arm on the speed triple. Can't fake that one with a big cresent wrench or channel locks.

As for the cost of those tools, it is FAR outweighed in what I don't spend at a dealership.

Just yesterday I set out for work on my motorcycle. Turned around and went home because I had a clunking sound in my chain drive. Pulled the rear wheel off and found my cush drive bearing looked like a crime scene. I mean everything in there is seriously hammered.

0126160906_HDR_zpsligdebfo.jpg

ebay to the rescue, I will be back on the road for about $100. Last time I dropped by a Triumph dealer I bought a set of front brake pads without asking how much they were. $83 and they didn't even kiss me. This job would be a grand or more if someone else did the work.

Knowing I'd wait for those parts I turned to my boxster which I haven't driven since July. I had replaced the water pump and some hoses in December and then went to fire it up but it is somehow immobilized. Had it trucked to the new place and now it's time to drive it.

Long story short, I had to order Durametric (the Porsche equivalent of VCDS) today. Thankfully I got overnight shipping and will have it tomorrow.

Reactions: Uwe

dingle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261477
Preview kills it
Not sure how the scissor jack helps if you need to do real work underneath.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The reason I've never had a lift in my garage is simple: Lack of headroom. With an 8' ceiling it strikes me as kinda pointless...

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
It makes it easier to change tires. Or, in the case of a Porsche, to scrub the brake dust off of the rims..... ;)

dingle

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261477
I think it's so he can sweep the floor properly.

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
The reason I've never had a lift in my garage is simple: Lack of headroom. With an 8' ceiling it strikes me as kinda pointless...

As I mentioned in my "and so it begins" thread, we're pondering purchase of a lift. It would allow me to lift the Boxster (which is required to do pretty much everything on the car short of pumping gas into it), but I did have concerns with the Touareg.

Truth is, I don't need full standing height. I need to be able to support the front subrame/engine/transmission/suspension and lift the body high enough to reach the turbos and "Big Ben" on the back end of the engine. I could lift the car about 16" with the overhead door open and 28" with it closed (and unplugged thank you).

The type of lift we were looking at is portable enough that I could also just put anchors in the driveway and have the capacity to lift it full height outside.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The type of lift we were looking at is portable enough that I could also just put anchors in the driveway and have the capacity to lift it full height outside.

I keep seeing outdoor 2-post lifts on California car shows on TV. Given the lack of headroom and narrow width of our detached garage, I've been seriously considering having a concrete slab poured in the back yard (behind the garage) and seeing how long an outdoor 4-post lift will last in an area where it does actually rain.....

Back