Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Security Access for USA 2016 MK7 Golf R - 17/Instruments

Post Thanks / Like
    We can find the security access being used if you send us the ODIS bus log ("trace").
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJAlix View Post
    ODIS Guided Fault Finding and Software Version Management is automated and encrypted, so details are hidden
    I know that the old VAS-PC software used to use plain text coded script files for some of the GFF stuff and some people in the past have managed to glean SA codes by simply trawling through various VAS-PC script files. Still not a quick or easy task but it was one way of trying to find some of the codes if you had the time and patience. I've not actually looked into the newer ODIS stuff but it sounds like it doesn't use the same plain text file scripting mechanism from what you are saying. Is that definitely correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    I know that the old VAS-PC software used to use plain text coded script files for some of the GFF stuff and some people in the past have managed to glean SA codes by simply trawling through various VAS-PC script files. Still not a quick or easy task but it was one way of trying to find some of the codes if you had the time and patience. I've not actually looked into the newer ODIS stuff but it sounds like it doesn't use the same plain text file scripting mechanism from what you are saying. Is that definitely correct?
    That's correct, everything's encrypted.
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Eric: When I read the word "encryption", I despair!

So - in language that a Luddite with a severe intellectual disability for computer technology can understand - is this doable by mere mortals, or not (simple binary answer-please)

And if so, how can I help?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    ^^^ Eric: When I read the word "encryption", I despair!

So - in language that a Luddite with a severe intellectual disability for computer technology can understand - is this doable by mere mortals, or not (simple binary answer-please)

And if so, how can I help?

Don
    The answer is sadly no.

Unless you happen to know what the encryption keys are (and the type of encryption used), have a spy on the inside at VAG who can get them for you, or are an expert encryption cracker then unfortunately the chances are slim to none. Short of trying to reverse engineer the binary code in the ODIS assemblies, it looks like sniffing the CAN data or decoding the ODIS trace log files is probably the easiest way, but all of those options will be extremely time consuming tasks and will require a certain level of expertise.

I guess you can't really blame them. Just like everyone else is doing nowadays, they are just trying to protect their intellectual property in an attempt to stop (or at least limit) people from stealing their work. VAG would rather you bought a VAS device and an ODIS subscription from them instead of buying a competitor product. Even RT started encrypting all of their label files some time ago which stops competitors from just stealing all of the hard work they've done to obtain that data and build the thousands of label files.

8. Likes DV52, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Admittedly I have only had ODIS for a few weeks but all the digging I have completed so far has turned up encrypted data. Have an RS3 8V coming over tomorrow morning for some works. Will buy 24hrs worth of "rate" and have a dig around once I have sorted his ECU swap.
    VAG Car Coding
    Adaptation | Coding | Diagnostic | Retrofit - London, United Kingdom
    @vagcarcoding