Security Access for USA 2016 MK7 Golf R - 17/Instruments

nathan16mk7R

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=264933
Nathan. Hi. Not your fault, but withstanding the authorship of the post on your link - the original creator of this tweak was "dmc_" (who is a forum colleague on VW Vortex). The net is replete with examples of such copies which have no attribution and the original authors can either consider this to be outright plagiarism, or the most sincere form of flattery - the latter view is far less stressful IMO!

Anyhow, the tweak was originally intended (by dmc_) to disable the recent practice on your NAR mk7s, not to illuminate the cluster display when the rotary light switch was on the parking light position (hence the setting that is used : lds - which is what VW call their rotary light switch).

On older model clusters for the mk7, the Illumination_algorithm-Scale_switching_algorithm isn't available-so I can't test my hypothesis. But there are other settings in the earlier adaptation channel which has the simpler descriptor illumination_algorithm. If the channel in the more modern version of the instrument cluster also have other options - you could experiment with these settings (I suspect) which may deliver a more appropriate lighting effect - maybe.

Don

Hi Don, yes, unfortunately it's not surprising that the original creator wasn't credited. I tried to do so by posting the link instead of copying/pasting the tweak, but of course I didn't know to go any deeper than that.

With the setting at lds, the cluster lights are on in any position except "off". This is the first tweak I have seen that enables ALL of the cluster lights to be on in "auto" mode. I believe you have shared a tweak before that turned on the steering wheel and button lights but not the instruments.

Unfortunately "lds" and "parking_light" were the only options on that channel.

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
This worked for my MY16 octavia, I have re-posted it onto the briskoda forum for people there to see.

nathan16mk7R

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=264933
Hi Don, yes, unfortunately it's not surprising that the original creator wasn't credited. I tried to do so by posting the link instead of copying/pasting the tweak, but of course I didn't know to go any deeper than that.

With the setting at lds, the cluster lights are on in any position except "off". This is the first tweak I have seen that enables ALL of the cluster lights to be on in "auto" mode. I believe you have shared a tweak before that turned on the steering wheel and button lights but not the instruments.

Unfortunately "lds" and "parking_light" were the only options on that channel.

Looks like I spoke too soon. It does NOT keep the steering wheel and button lights on during the day, and the media system goes back to day setting as normal.

ATR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=215743
So I just attempted to modify the dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_internal_phototransistor set with no success. The code is initially accepted, but then going into modify the above adaptation results in the controller requesting security access again. I haven't tried any other adaptation channels, but I will do a little more experimenting...

Code:
Address 17: Instruments (J285)       Labels: 5G0-920-XXX-17.clb
   Part No SW: 5G1 920 758 A    HW: 5G1 920 758 A
   Component: KOMBI         302 6420  
   Coding: 0BAD08127F88880902886A0B5400000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
   ASAM Dataset: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB 009046
   ROD: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB_AU37.rod
   VCID: AD5B11C3FC748F566A-80F8

No fault code found.
Did some Google searches yesterday and stumbled on this thread. This is also what I'm looking to do.

Though just as I've quoted above I'm looking for a security access code that allows me to tweak the dimming_characteristic_curve_adjustment_internal_phototransistor (x2-x5).

I have a '17 GTI Sport trim.
In for updates on this.

ATR

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=215743
Any update on the security code?

Tiwtin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205828
In for any updates?

Wouldn't the information for Security Access be in a Service Manual at a dealership, so anyone who works there would have access to the information?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sadly, no. That kind of stuff hasn't been in "Service Manuals" for more than 10 years now.

-Uwe-

Tiwtin

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=205828
So, as of now and in the foreseeable future, there's no way to get the security code?

I absolutely hate the dimming of my dash :/

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Sadly, no. That kind of stuff hasn't been in "Service Manuals" for more than 10 years now.

-Uwe-

Uwe: Shirley the SA must be embedded in the device that dealers use. I've had absolutely no experience with this device,and it might be an extremely naive question, but why can't the SA be "discovered" by examining this device?

Don

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
ODIS Guided Fault Finding and Software Version Management is automated and encrypted, so details are hidden :(

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
We can find the security access being used if you send us the ODIS bus log ("trace").

Reactions: Uwe

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
ODIS Guided Fault Finding and Software Version Management is automated and encrypted, so details are hidden :(

I know that the old VAS-PC software used to use plain text coded script files for some of the GFF stuff and some people in the past have managed to glean SA codes by simply trawling through various VAS-PC script files. Still not a quick or easy task but it was one way of trying to find some of the codes if you had the time and patience. I've not actually looked into the newer ODIS stuff but it sounds like it doesn't use the same plain text file scripting mechanism from what you are saying. Is that definitely correct?

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
I know that the old VAS-PC software used to use plain text coded script files for some of the GFF stuff and some people in the past have managed to glean SA codes by simply trawling through various VAS-PC script files. Still not a quick or easy task but it was one way of trying to find some of the codes if you had the time and patience. I've not actually looked into the newer ODIS stuff but it sounds like it doesn't use the same plain text file scripting mechanism from what you are saying. Is that definitely correct?
That's correct, everything's encrypted.

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ Eric: When I read the word "encryption", I despair!

So - in language that a Luddite with a severe intellectual disability for computer technology can understand - is this doable by mere mortals, or not (simple binary answer-please)

And if so, how can I help?

Don

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
^^^ Eric: When I read the word "encryption", I despair!

So - in language that a Luddite with a severe intellectual disability for computer technology can understand - is this doable by mere mortals, or not (simple binary answer-please)

And if so, how can I help?

Don

The answer is sadly no.

Unless you happen to know what the encryption keys are (and the type of encryption used), have a spy on the inside at VAG who can get them for you, or are an expert encryption cracker then unfortunately the chances are slim to none. Short of trying to reverse engineer the binary code in the ODIS assemblies, it looks like sniffing the CAN data or decoding the ODIS trace log files is probably the easiest way, but all of those options will be extremely time consuming tasks and will require a certain level of expertise.

I guess you can't really blame them. Just like everyone else is doing nowadays, they are just trying to protect their intellectual property in an attempt to stop (or at least limit) people from stealing their work. VAG would rather you bought a VAS device and an ODIS subscription from them instead of buying a competitor product. Even RT started encrypting all of their label files some time ago which stops competitors from just stealing all of the hard work they've done to obtain that data and build the thousands of label files.

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
Admittedly I have only had ODIS for a few weeks but all the digging I have completed so far has turned up encrypted data. Have an RS3 8V coming over tomorrow morning for some works. Will buy 24hrs worth of "rate" and have a dig around once I have sorted his ECU swap.

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Big push.
There seem to be a Login for the instrument cluster where you can enable the Sport Layout in Virtual Cockpit just by coding and only when the Instrument Cluster is brand new (0 miles).
@DJAlix I know that you did some research on it.

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
Big push.
There seem to be a Login for the instrument cluster where you can enable the Sport Layout in Virtual Cockpit just by coding and only when the Instrument Cluster is brand new (0 miles).
@DJAlix I know that you did some research on it.

Yes, I completed a massive amount of research around the "sports" displays which has provided the needed results. Unfortunately almost all of my published information on the MQB platform has been abused over the years, this and I needed to make financial investment also, so the information is not going to released as I would be giving away a professional advantage.

Amarton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=338434
Is there any working solution with security code?
20103 is rejected.
25327 is good but not the all adaptation.
I would like to reduce the black ice warning value.
Any idea?

Back