Will firmware update turn on immo or CP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LN-TAL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13729
Hi there,

I am not very satisfied with the mpg on my audi a6 2012 (4G) 3.0 TDi. I can see that there is firmware updates for both engine control unit and also the transmission. I am planning to try to flash this myself. Will a software update (flash) risk to "desynchronise" the immo, or turn on the PM ? I have no tools to reset this myself.

Anything I should be aware of before I try to flash update for the first time? (besides have a psu connected to both car and cmputer, and be sure to flash the correct file to correct module)

I dont know if a firmware update will give me better mpg, but it should not hurt to try ?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What tool do you plan to use to do these firmware upgrades? ;)

-Uwe-

LN-TAL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13729
Odis E and vas5054

smokey08

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=120732
If your vas5054 is a clone then you are playing with fire flashing modules. Just pay the dealer to do it.

LN-TAL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13729
Its not a clone, its the real (expensive) one

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
Well then you just go on line and Component Protection should be no problem.

LN-TAL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13729
I dont have an account (I am not sure if you can buy an account without being a registered service shop, and if so, it sure does cost alot of money for the subscription.

The interface is a real VAS5054a, bought used on ebay for about 1600 euro.

Anyone knows the answer to my question ?

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330

Well, your question being anything that you may be aware of, the answer is that you *may* brick the module. May not too. But because said module is the ECU - it will leave you stranded and you will have to arrange a recovery truck and get the vehicle to the dealer. If they do it, they may brick the module too. But then they have to replace it for you.

I'm sorry I'm just a 'glass half empty' person... :(

Reactions: Uwe

LN-TAL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13729
Oboy, this should be really hard to get information on this forum.

I will ask again. This is the ONLY thing I am asking, I am not asking if my equipment is ok, I am not asking if it MIGHT trash the module.

I AM ASKING IF A FIRMWARE UPDATE ON ENGINE AND OR TRANNY WILL SET OFF THE IMMO AND OR THE CP ? (NORMALLY, I KNOW THAT THERE IS NEVER ANY GUARANTUEE, and IF I decided to do it, I know that I do it at my own risk. I will not sue any of you, I will not claim that you made me do it. Its MY car, its MY equipment (regardless if the equipment is VCDS, Odis or anything else), and its MY responsibility. Yeah, I might come back and say that "I hit the big one", and ASK if anyone have any good ideas to help me out again, but I will NOT blame anyone else than myself.

If you dont know, if you dont want to share information, PLEASE do NOT reply to this thread. I am asking one simple question, nothing more.

Thanx.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In principle, I believe it should not.

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Just because you bought a ?used? VAS 5054A (which for arguments sake we assume is legit) - that does not mean you have a legit ODIS-S or even ODIS-E license. Those licenses are paid for separately and ODIS-E requires special permissions before you can even apply to purchase a license. ;) But again, let's assume you have all that and it's legit. Well, firmware updates are not just the update files. In many recent cases additional parameters have to be written. On a dealer level this is done via SVM.

As far the basic question, as Uwe pointed out - it "should" not. :)

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
I dont have an account (I am not sure if you can buy an account without being a registered service shop, and if so, it sure does cost alot of money for the subscription.

The interface is a real VAS5054a, bought used on ebay for about 1600 euro.

So what is worth genine VAS head ?

make sure s/n is not stolen, otherwise you might have more problem after spent 1600€ than before

LN-TAL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13729
Just because you bought a ?used? VAS 5054A (which for arguments sake we assume is legit) - that does not mean you have a legit ODIS-S or even ODIS-E license. Those licenses are paid for separately and ODIS-E requires special permissions before you can even apply to purchase a license. ;) But again, let's assume you have all that and it's legit. Well, firmware updates are not just the update files. In many recent cases additional parameters have to be written. On a dealer level this is done via SVM.

Thanks for reply Sebastian. You have a point that I had not thought about. And I guess that these additional parameters are things that can not be coded with VCDS etc. ? You need a online connection ?

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
2nd hand Genuine VAS = almost this same as VAS clone head, If no online account, no point to spend so much money for basic diagnostic
For ODIS you can use any other passthru device

LN-TAL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13729
Well, I am much more confident to flash with a genius VAS than a cheap china clone.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

Yeah let's not " assume " shit...........
If you had those permissions you wouldn't be asking these questions here...........
More to come for 2016 and we will find out what hats people are wearing with the color revealed.

The interface cost one thing and the licenses cost another..........

ummmm ummmm what could I possibly know about this.

In many recent cases additional parameters have to be written. On a dealer level this is done via SVM.
Ahhh ah..........

Mein WOB! :thumbs: in Neu Swabia..........

Last edited:

LN-TAL

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13729
Just a little update here.
I have now flashed three of the modules in the car, including the transmission (but NOT the engine, yet), and everything is working good. The day after I went to the dealer, because of a previously mentioned sound on startup (http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?3607-Audi-A6-3-0-TDi-2012-ratling-noise-from-engine) which btw. is a sound audi is aware off, and there is a TPI about it. But for the time beeing, audi has no repair instructions for it (the sound is from the timing chain, and has something to do with the two stage oil pressure in this engine). Anyway, I also asked him to update the ECU to the latest software, which is 0006 afaik. But the could not do that with his odis s software. He could only update if there was a SVM code for it. And we did not find any TPI with a SVM code to update to 0006, only to 0005. So I will flash the ECU to 0006 myself later on, if there will not be a software update to fix the "rattling sound" problem in the near future that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back