Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: cheaters? recalls? discuss

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

cheaters? recalls? discuss

Post Thanks / Like
    Rut roh!

Brace for epic incoming rant from Jack. :-)

Jason

3. Likes vreihen, Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, Santos, Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they go after VW, then they need to go after everybody else as well - this has been an industry standard for as long as I can remember. Besides, the article is false - it's not a device. At best it's a piece of the software that detects the standardized drive cycle and adjusts parameters accordingly to meet the requirements. Have you ever wondered why the gas mileage listed for your car is tough/impossible to reach? Same thing...
    Sebastian @ Ross-Tech.com // VCDS Rookie since 2003

»Nichts erweitert das eigene Wissen mehr,
    als die Meinung eines Andersdenkenden.«

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they go after VW, then they need to go after everybody else as well - this has been an industry standard for as long as I can remember.
    Here here .............I told you so that something was very big brewing........in my other thread.

OEM and AFT need a check up.

The good news VCDS will display more codes now, and maybe the parts industry will sell some more with a recovery.

FSI and TSI are next!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Full Definition of DEVICE
    1: something devised or contrived: as
    a (1) : plan, procedure, technique (2) : a scheme to deceive : stratagem, trick

per: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/device

7. Likes Eric, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

9. Likes Locoelectrician liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    other than the enjoyable back and forth discussion, the real question is how VW will respond.

I heard some other news chatter that the NTSB has been pushing automakers to be more pro-active in offering incentives to owners to gain increased compliance with recalls. perhaps similar action will happen.

the obvious recall would be for an ECU software update, but then, given that such an update could decrease the mpg, how would VW gain buy-in from car owners?

the Detroit Free press article threw in the per-violation penalty of up to $37500 per vehicle. I could be talked into selling back my TDI for a bit less than that.

11. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah and that $37,500 fine would be x3

Tampering, Altering, and defeating an emissions device.

They would be in additional violation of the DMCA, for they do this updating via SVM or Fazit over the NET.
    Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)

It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works. It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself. In addition, the DMCA heightens the penalties for copyright infringement on the Internet

Yeah it goes both ways doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy Shorts .........I've hit the mother load.

500 Thousand TDI's

Post Thanks / Like

15. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Eric liked this post