Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Lookee what we found whilst wandering....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    ^^^ You need a crossbow.
    ... mounted to the hood of an S4?

2. Likes Bruce, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    ^^^ You need a crossbow.
    I am not a hunter, and do not even like venison. Besides, what would Blizzard and I bark at on the deck in the mornings if the deer were gone?????

4. Likes jyoung8607, Bruce liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I am not a hunter, and do not even like venison.
    Perhaps when you had venison, it was not prepared well. There are lots of ways to prepare it.

Besides, what would Blizzard and I bark at on the deck in the mornings if the deer were gone?????
    You have no worries about the deer going extinct. They are so plentiful and man is now their only predator. We kill more of them by collision with automobiles than we do by hunting... Collisions with deer are devastating, often resulting in death of the humans.

Sure, Bambi is cute and fun to watch which is why I wander into the woods to watch them. But, their herds are becoming real problems now that we have wiped out all the predators. Recently in PA, they brought wolves in and released them into the game lands. It's an effort to control the size of the herds. And remember, PA has 1 Million go to the woods on opening day of deer season. But in the season, typically a quarter million deer are harvested.

Recently read a stat that said there were 360 million deer roaming the US... slightly more than the human population.

My point, don't worry, hunting will not soon endanger the white tail deer in the US. Hunters for the most part are conservationists who love the outdoors and fiercely protect the wild and natural lands. We are not what Disney portrays us to be.

6. Likes jyoung8607, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Perhaps when you had venison, it was not prepared well. There are lots of ways to prepare it.
    Like ordering certain dishes at a Chinese restaurant? Better bambi than tabby, I guess. I prefer my venison rare...as in so rare that a veterinarian can save it! A couple of grill marks is fine with me, as long as said grill marks include Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, or Honda logos (and not VW/Audi/Dodge logos).

My point, don't worry, hunting will not soon endanger the white tail deer in the US. Hunters for the most part are conservationists who love the outdoors and fiercely protect the wild and natural lands. We are not what Disney portrays us to be.
    You forgot about the part where deer spread lyme disease, which is a *huge* problem in these parts. I completely understand/support culling the herd. Nobody in my recent family lineage was ever a hunter, so opening day isn't the equivalent of Superbowl Sunday for me like it is for many people. Besides, it isn't safe to go into the woods during hunting season in these parts with all of the city-iots on the loose shooting at each other like they are in a giant paintball game. As I say to all of my hunting friends, take one for me...as long as I don't have to see, smell, taste, or hear about it. It's not my cup of tea. ("Did someone say tea? Tea, Earl Gray, hot!")

Several generations in my family were weekend ocean fishermen, and even more were into shellfish gathering on weekends. Probably explains why I dislike shellfish/seafood so much. I was probably out in a boat for fluke/flounder about a dozen times as a kid, and have zero desire to ever do that again. I also spent hundreds of nights in my younger days standing on piers at the Jersey shore scooping up crabs as they swam by. Hauled many a bushel basket of crabs out of the water, and watched my relatives eat them from afar because I can't even stand the smell of cooked lobster/crabs. My behemoth crabbing net is hanging from the rafters in our garage, and this post almost makes me want to head down to Seaside Heights tonight to see how many I can get (and give away).

Back to the deer. Blizzard and I used to watch the Big Cat Diaries and Meerkats on the Animal Planet cable network every morning before I went to work, and it was funny how he barked to warn unsuspecting prey on TV that they were in danger. Animal Planet dropped those programs in favor of some crappy fish tank building reality TV show, so the only morning activity that we have now is barking at the deer in the yard from the back deck about once a week when they pass through.....

8. Likes Bruce liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Cocky on a wire!

Took the bottom picture a few day ago - it's of a (very old) sulphur crested cockatoo sitting on a swing bridge wire not far from here. These birds are common down here -raucous and playful/destructive (they have been known to destroy wooden facia/windows).

So as a prophetic epitaph to the aged and probably not long for this world creature in the lower picture- I thought it proper to show what the bird looked like in younger days.

It's good that the same thing doesn't happen to humans!!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

10. Likes Boki Ar, Uwe, vreihen, NEtech liked this post
    VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

i thought i would join this one and show you a picture of a swedish boar.IMG_3431.jpg

Gotta love the wildlife!
    - Andreas Borrbring -

12. Likes vreihen, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Gang-gangs

Caught this parrot feasting happily on the red berries on our hawthorn bushes. We call these birds a "gang-gang" - they are normally very skittish, but when they are eating, they become much more approachable. When they eat and in flight they make a sound that is very similar to a creaking hinge on a door (real odd).

This particular bird is a mature male. He normally has a harem of females -don't we all!!

Don

14. Likes Uwe, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Y'all sure do have some interesting birds down there! Other than the crows returning to Newburgh like clockwork every December (think horror movie scene), we'd be lucky to see a stray dump chicken in these parts. OK, there are the geese at the pond across the street and a handful of wild turkeys that pass through our back yard every few months, but they don't perch in trees.....

16. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Y'all sure do have some interesting birds down there! Other than the crows returning to Newburgh like clockwork every December (think horror movie scene), we'd be lucky to see a stray dump chicken in these parts. OK, there are the geese at the pond across the street and a handful of wild turkeys that pass through our back yard every few months, but they don't perch in trees.....
    vreihen: I'm not sure about up there, but down here it's all a matter of what food there is around for the wild-life to eat. Here we have lots of native and imported trees so lot's of "tucker" for the birds to feast-on this time of year.

We have a regular visitor at home that is the harbinger of Spring - it's not officially spring in this household until we see one of these:

It's called a king-parrot and this one is the male. This time of year, he is on the hunt for a female King-parrot who is very drab in colour in comparison - so he has to look his best!

Don

18. Likes Uwe, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's getting to be that time of year again. I'm heading down to Ross Mountain next week for muzzleloading then rifle hunting:

20. Likes NZDubNurd liked this post