Not open for further replies.

Ginocar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=216906
Hello,

I have a little problem with firmware update.

CB: 0.4123
FW: 0.214
CFB: 0.9
BL: 0.24
DS: 00000030

Checking for updates...
Update found!

Changelog:
CB: 0.4215
The update to CB V0.4201 must be done through the web interface.
The USB update process has changed behind the scenes,
V0.4201 supports functions for the new V2.001 update utility.

Applying update...
Downloading CB
Error code -2

Can you help me please?
Thank You
Best Regards
Gino

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It sounds like you are trying to do this update using the USB utility. This update most be done directly, through the web interface, in VCDS-Mobile. Please seen the "IMPORTANT NOTE:" in the first post of the Current Versions thread.

-Uwe-

Ginocar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=216906
Thank you Mr Uwe. But I tried update with the 1.963.jar and same the problem. What do I do badly?
Gino

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
The 'Important Note' is in Shaun's post a little further down.

Important Note: The first time you install CB v0.42xx, (from v0.41xx) you must do so using the web interface (VCDS-Mobile: [Options] -> [Check for Updates]. You cannot update from CB 0.41xx to CB 0.42xx using the PC-based utility. Once you've got a CB v0.42xx in your HEX-NET, the old utility v1.9xx is deprecated and can no longer be used. You should then replace it with the current v2.xxx utility, and you should be able to use the new utility for all updates after that. Of course, you should also be able to do updates via the web interface if you choose.

What that means is that you will have to leave your USB cable to one side at the moment, connect your Hex-Net to your router in Infrastructure mode, use any web browser to connect to the Hex-Net IP and carry out an update.

Once you've done an update with the Web interface; ditch the 1.963.jar and download 2.005.jar and use that for USB updates from now.

Ginocar

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=216906
Hi,
Wow. I understand now.
My HexNet update was succesful.
Thank you very much to all.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Moving this to HEX-NET Beta support now.

-Uwe-

FL C6.5 Avant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224391
Having similar issues. I did try the USB updater first, and I do realise that is not going to work. I managed to get to infrastructure mode, but I must use the vehicle to power the HEX-NET dongle. using VCDS mobile app i *think* i downloaded the first update (it took about 20 min), when it prompted for further updates, I entered yes, and it "thought' for about 5 minutes and then returned to the same screen. I hit the about button to see if the CB showed updated and it did not (still 0.4123). So then I went to options and now it just hangs.
Been over an hour and all functions are locked. the dongle has three green and the (correction: third green ) blinks periodically.
tired and want to get past this. all I wanted to do was reset service interval......

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
but I must use the vehicle to power the HEX-NET dongle.
Why? You should be able to do all this with it powered over USB -- provided your USB power source is decent.

Been over an hour and all functions are locked. the dongle has three green and the (correction: third green ) blinks periodically.
I would reboot it. Unplug both ends and try again.

-Uwe-

FL C6.5 Avant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224391
I power it over USB all the time, and use the utility.... but in this case, if i power over USB and just go to infrastructure, then I can't use either the laptop (USB power source) to get to VCDS-mobile (I'll try that again), or my iphone with the VCDS app (i can get into the app, but it says not registered--use the vehicle).
I will unplug now. just was afraid i was interrupting an update.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
After more than a few minutes of no progress? Nope, it's hung.

It doesn't need to talk to a car to do updates. Seriously, I've updated several HEX-NETs at my desk, with nothing more than USB power.

-Uwe-

FL C6.5 Avant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224391
ok, back at desk, HEX NET powered via laptop and USB. Now, I am using the old jar (v1.963) to config for AP or infrastructure, but not the update itself....
I need to be in AP mode to be able to see the HN SSID, and get a browser window for mobile. It shows me current and pending update versions and asks if i want to proceed. But now i need to go to infrastructure mode to actually update, correct?
and when i do that, then the browser window times out (HN no longer in AP mode....)
What am I doing wrong?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Use the old JAR to put it in infrastructure mode, on your WiFi network. Put your laptop or phone on the same WiFi network, point a browser at the HEX-NET's IP address. [Options] -> [Check for Updates].

-Uwe-

FL C6.5 Avant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224391
Use the old JAR to put it in infrastructure mode, on your WiFi network. Put your laptop or phone on the same WiFi network, point a browser at the HEX-NET's IP address. [Options] -> [Check for Updates].

-Uwe-

Yes, sir. Did just that. No joy. Is it possible that the HN is in infrastructure mode, but somehow not able to access the Internet? It does establish an IP on my network, but doing advanced network check (something like that--in the options menu) ping does not return a reply. I can access web pages etc no problem on the same network via laptop or mobile devices.
Makes me wonder if a partial (broken) update is affecting ability of the hex net to access Internet?
One more: when 'acquiring' infrastructure mode, the middle light on the HN flashes red, and then turns a steady green. The third light (farther from the USB port) blinks rhythmically.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The middle LED flashing red indicates it's trying to connect to a network. When it turns solid green, that means it's succeeded. This is also confirmed by the fact that you can access VCDS-Mobile using a device (PC or phone) that's connected to the same network. I'm not aware of any condition of things that would allow it to communicate with another device on your network and prevent it from accessing the internet. I'm thinking that would have to be due to something in your router. I also just checked that the server is responding and it is..

-Uwe-

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any condition of things that would allow it to communicate with another device on your network and prevent it from accessing the internet.

A HEX-NET configured to use static IP and has an invalid gateway will do this.

Reactions: Uwe

FL C6.5 Avant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224391
A HEX-NET configured to use static IP and has an invalid gateway will do this.
So I think Santos and also reading thru Gino car photo spread has triggered something.
It was not clear earlier that I must browse to the exact IP of the HN while it is connected to my network (I.e. x.x.x.13, not the default x.x.0.1). I can't try that at the moment, since im not at my network or the HN, but is this the "aha" that we have been waiting for?

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
After more than a few minutes of no progress? Nope, it's hung.

It doesn't need to talk to a car to do updates. Seriously, I've updated several HEX-NETs at my desk, with nothing more than USB power.

-Uwe-

Ditto. I do all updating with my iMac. The HexNet is connected to a powered USB hub. I have a bookmark for VCDS-Mobile in Firefox that I launch and use to update. The connection is like this: HexNet>USB hub>iMac via USB cables. Then it is iMac>AirPort Express via WiFi, then to my wireless ISP subscriber module via Cat 5e cable then via radio to my ISPs transmitter on to of a mountain about 10 miles away then however they connect to the Internet to get to the Ross-Tech servers and the same route back to me.

FL C6.5 Avant

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=224391
So I think Santos and also reading thru Gino car photo spread has triggered something.
It was not clear earlier that I must browse to the exact IP of the HN while it is connected to my network (I.e. x.x.x.13, not the default x.x.0.1). I can't try that at the moment, since im not at my network or the HN, but is this the "aha" that we have been waiting for?

Of course, this was the problem all along. sometimes some fresh eyes can help with the obvious...... thanks Uwe, Santos, and Ginocar.
I will also note that only by using the jar 2.005 (after the CB update of course) was I able to get the last piece of BL:0.27. VCDS mobile thought i was fully up to date after getting to DS:0035 (edit: with BL:0.26 still onboard).

Last edited:

Nashlebanon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=204194
Hello, I am having same issue with error code -2 while connecting via USB and trying to Update the device.
When selecting the wifi network and then I click Refresh Interface List, this i what it shows me: IP 0.0.0.0 Mode: Infrastructure.
I noticed also that the first Led blinks green and the second Red all the time. Only if i press the red button in the HEX that it would constantly blink orange but in AP mode.
I cant figure out how to get to the browser and be in Infrastructure mode and update to the newest firmware.
I use windows 8.1. Has latest VCDS application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back