Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modify the AUTOSCAN.TXT file for fun and profit!

Post Thanks / Like

Modify the AUTOSCAN.TXT file for fun and profit!

It should go without saying, before you make changes to things, create a back up. If you follow the advice in this post and screw things up, then do a fresh install of VCDS.

When you go to do the Auto-Scan, you have to select the type of vehicle from a list. With newer VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda vehicles that use the CAN Gateway for diagnostics, you can simply select the Auto-detect (CAN only) from the top of the list.

But for older vehicles that use the K-Line for diagnostics, you need manually select from the list. But there may be cars listed that you will never see in your market. For example, here in North America, there is little chance we'll work on a Seat of Skoda.

This list can be modified. From the Auto-Scan screen, in the upper left, click on the AUTOSCAN.TXT file link. Your Notepad should open up. From there one can select, for example all of the Seat vehicles and then delete them.

A VW dealer tech could, for example, delete all of the non VW listings, thus have a much smaller list to go through. Or an individual could move his car listing to the top. Say you own a 2003 Audi A8. You can find your A8 in the listing:

Copy it and then paste it to the top of the list:

Now save the updated AUTOSCAN.TXT file. Next time you go into Auto-Scan, you would find your Audi A8 at the top of the list.

Note that when you do another install or update of VCDS, the AUTOSCAN.TXT file will revert back to the original state.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

2. Likes Spider, roth, jakematic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Note that when you do another install or update of VCDS, the AUTOSCAN.TXT file will revert back to the original state.
    The Installer will make a backup copy of your AutoScan.txt file:

Code:
    Delete $INSTDIR\AutoScan-oldest.txt
    Rename $INSTDIR\AutoScan-older.txt $INSTDIR\AutoScan-oldest.txt
    Rename $INSTDIR\AutoScan-old.txt $INSTDIR\AutoScan-older.txt
    Rename $INSTDIR\AutoScan.txt $INSTDIR\AutoScan-old.txt
    -Uwe-

4. Likes Spider liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you "paste" your favourite vehicle to the top of the list, can you also remove modules from the list that are not fitted?
    My "new" (to me) Audi only has about 8 modules fitted but VAGCOM spends a large amount of time trying addresses for those that are not fitted.

If I delete them from the vehicle list, will it cause any other issues?

Thanks in advance guys.

Cristian

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristian G View Post
    When you "paste" your favourite vehicle to the top of the list, can you also remove modules from the list that are not fitted?
    My "new" (to me) Audi only has about 8 modules fitted but VAGCOM spends a large amount of time trying addresses for those that are not fitted.
    That's perfectly fine, although you should use MyAutoScan.txt if you're making custom entries. It is, in fact, the entire point of that file: to create a custom Auto Scan module list containing only the modules you care about, that will be preserved across upgrades.

Jason

7. Likes Eric, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I select MyAutoScan.TXT file it comes up with with MyAutoScan notebook, and not the list, what am I missing? VCDS 14.10.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We concluded it would be better for user-made entries to go in a separate file so they won't get overwritten when the software is updated. Other than that, it works exactly the same.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

10. Likes Sebastian liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how do I add my car?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing I noticed is that on some peoples scan it gives an explanation of the scan numbers, how do I add that?

VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    See the example in MyAutoScan.txt
    Or show the Autoscan from your car here, and we make it for you.

14. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not get a Autoscan.TXT file, I get a MyAutoScan.TXT file. There is no list of vehicles listed.