Discussion related to the G85 Steering Angle Sensor locations in Golf-based cars

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
In this case G85 is located on the steering column behind the slip ring.

Dana: Not sure if you are aware (likely you are), the G85 sensor on a mk7 Golf (5AU) is physically inside the steering rack. Alas, "the steering angle sender - G85- cannot be renewed separately." (according to VW)

Don

PS: I think the need to replace the entire steering rack for a G85 fault on the later model Golf is called "progress"! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
PS: I think the need to replace the entire steering rack for a G85 fault on the later model Golf is called "progress"! :)
Hopefully, they will come up with a different approach as these cars age. It's happened before with other components.

-Uwe-

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi Don, yeah they started that in 2009 on the last of the Mk5 chassis cars here. I'm working on a new thread that's mostly Mk5 and 6 but I may generalize the MQB platform at the very end of it.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
RHD Passat 3C uses 1K0(Gen3 ZF rack opposed to LHD with APA rack) and integrated G85 in rack.
That is the reason ETKA(and perhaps PL24) guide to read the part nr diagnosticly. On Passat the slip ring is either AS or AR depending on integration of G85.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Thanks! I encountered this today with an incorrectly coded RoW 2013 Passat wagon TDI and 50% of the good baseline scans were 1K racks where the other 50% were 5N racks. I'll use your feedback and RoW scan data to see if I can improve that area.

Internal
RHD scan example with identical #16 coding 198A250000 and EPS_ZFLS Kl. 197: E?ID=149248
The broken RHD wagon: E?ID=398941

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

TdiBlacky

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277924
Hi Don, yeah they started that in 2009 on the last of the Mk5 chassis cars here. I'm working on a new thread that's mostly Mk5 and 6 but I may generalize the MQB platform at the very end of it.

When you say 2009, can this also be the situation on 2008 golf mkV's? I'm working on a 2008 Golf V 1.9 Tdi and it has a Gen3 steering rack and "ESP MK60EC1" Abs system. Does this setup sound all original? And to calibrate the steering angle sensor you'd do it within the Abs module because the car has Esp which communicates with the G85 via the Abs, is this correct? So am I correct in saying you would not calibrate the steering angle sensor via the Steering Assist module?

Do some Golfs have 2 steering sensors, 1 on the rack and 1 on the steering column? Or 1 on the steering column and 1 under the steering wheel too?

I suppose the different regions play a part regards the info on this site, I'm coming from a Uk/Euro market, whereas I guess most of this site is based on Canada/North America. In Uk/Euro the MkV golf typically ran from 2004-2008 and not 2009.

Last edited:

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
1. For VAG next model year starts from 1'st of August e.g. car assembled after 1'st August will be the next model year, for example 2009., but in registration documents it is written date of first registration, that easily may be still in the 2008.
2. GEN2 racks are discontinued and GEN3 with additional wiring loom are offered as replacement.
So we have at least two ways how this could happen.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
1. For VAG next model year starts from 1'st of August e.g. car assembled after 1'st August will be the next model year, for example 2009
Good "rule of thumb", but not hard-and-fast. In the end, what really counts is the 10th digit of the VIN.

-Uwe-

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
When you say 2009, can this also be the situation on 2008 golf mkV's? I'm working on a 2008 Golf V 1.9 Tdi and it has a Gen3 steering rack and "ESP MK60EC1" Abs system. Does this setup sound all original? And to calibrate the steering angle sensor you'd do it within the Abs module because the car has Esp which communicates with the G85 via the Abs, is this correct? So am I correct in saying you would not calibrate the steering angle sensor via the Steering Assist module?

I would calibrate G85 in 03-ABS in that case.

Adding to MartinsX and Uwe's suggestions. Although rare in my opinion, it is entirely possible to have a MY 2008 Mk5 in the RoW market with a factory Gen 3 rack and MK60EC1 ABS module. The VIN and complete scan would shed light on this if you are concerned something was retrofitted.

Do some Golfs have 2 steering sensors, 1 on the rack and 1 on the steering column? Or 1 on the steering column and 1 under the steering wheel too?

Although it would not happen with a factory configuration you can encounter a Golf based model with two G85 sensors enabled at the same time and that causes conflicts. (Much like indirect and direct TPMS enabled at the same time). Common scenarios include:

2005-2008 Golf based car equipped with steering column mounted G85 after a Gen 3 steering rack and wiring harness installed as replacement parts with the incorrect Adp setting in 44.

In other cases you could have a 2008/2009+ Golf based car with Gen 3 factory installed 44 module and a replacement UDS protocol 16 module (which supports an internal G85 sensor via coding) is installed and incorrectly coded.

Although that occasionally happens that isn't a common problem. Honestly, we see more problems with steering angle sensors that report Cannot be reached due to incorrect 16 or 44 module configurations.

Back