Beta version 15.6

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Just loaded the latest Beta version 15.6. First. I do like the search facility - it's particularly helpful for those of us with MQB platform vehicles where the BCM has a humungous adaptation channel list (it really takes all the fun out-of searching through almost 2,000 entries). Well done to those who were involved in this new feature!!

That said, I've come-up against a few interesting peculiarities for which I seek RT's response.

First my laptop is a Surface Pro 3 using Windows 8.1 - 64 bit (no additional nanny-ware installed). The car is a Golf mk7 103TSI. (see HERE for autoscan report)

When I use either the physical or virtual keyboard to enter data into the search field (particularly for the BCM), I get multiple entries for a single keystroke. When I try to delete these multiple entries, one press of the keyboard deletes ALL multiple entries. This appears to be a repeatable problem.

Second when I have entered characters into the search field and I click outside the RT software window (i.e. onto the desktop), the program stops and exits the screen. Again, this appears to be a repeatable problem.

Any advice- or further details needed to substantiate this observed behaviour?
Cheers
Don

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Yes, Andy complained about the multiple keystrokes for 09-Adaptations yesterday afternoon. Of course he and his Mk7 are off today :) Are you seeing this just in adaptation, or also measuring blocks? In the meantime, the workaround is to type at a speed commensurate with the amount of adaptations loaded, or just copy/paste into the box. I'll see if I can reproduce the issue with clicking outside VCDS.

Reactions: Uwe

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
OK, I spent a while optimizing our UDS ADP code. I never envisioned that we would have to handle 2800+ ADP channels when I originally wrote that! The multiple keystrokes you are seeing are a result of some Windows message processing we have/had to force so the app wouldn't look frozen while the ADP dialog loads from the main dialog. This was being called, and is not needed, while filtering; the issue was immediately resolved.
Nevertheless I wanted to understand what was making the loading process so slow ( 4.84s on my desktop to load the 2824 channels, simulating Andy's BCM). I thought it was decrypting and shuffling UDS data around, but it turns out that is not the case. I shaved one second by reducing the frequency of the forced message processing described above, but then noticed the loading process was much faster (around 1.5s) when filtering, although that still requires going through all the data. I was shocked when commenting out the call to the MFC function that fills the combo box reduced the loading time to 0.84s. I guess Microsoft didn't envision their combo boxes being used for 2800 lines either!
Luckily I found out that caching all the channel descriptions in memory and inserting them all in one chunk of code at the end speeds up the process quite dramatically (maybe it fits in the CPU cache at that point?), and the final loading time is now decreased from 4.8s to 1.5s. Now we only "waste" 0.6s filling that combobox instead of a full 3 seconds if my math is correct :)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Eric: Yes, after a bit more playing, it does seem that the key stroke problem is related to the size of the adaptation list in the control module. Thanks for the quick response (and your cut paste suggestion as a work around helps).
Love the search function - well done!
Don

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Don, did you get a chance to try the test builds I sent you by email? Or did I use the wrong one (@bigpond.com) :)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Don, did you get a chance to try the test builds I sent you by email? Or did I use the wrong one (@bigpond.com) :)

Eric: Yes I just did it this morning. Here is a copy of my return email that I sent a few second ago. (I've enclosed the autoscan report in the email)

Again, many thanks for attending to this matter so quickly - much appreciated.

I followed your instructions: downloaded the 64 Bit version of the .exe file and the UDS stuff. Version 15.6.1. loaded OK.
Tried accessing multiple control modules and used the search function successfully (both with the virtual keyboard and the physical keyboard on my Surface-Pro). There was no evidence of the multi-keystroke problem in this new software.
I also tried replicating the software freeze-exit problem that I experienced with ver. 15.6.0 - could not replicate this behaviour with your new version.

Seems everything has been fixed, well done - tell Uwe that I said that it was OK for you to take $50 out of the RT petty cash tin!!
Cheers
Don
PS: Autoscan report enclosed as requested
PPS: Haven't tried yet, but I'm keen to explore if concatenated commands work on your new search facility (i.e. "+", "-" & "and" etc)
PPPS: Please advise if any other information that I can provide is needed

Back