Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Jack talking about? 0x01-08-000

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack,

I never seek to discredit anyone. what would be the point of that?

only to share an observation which may improve the accuracy from including another data point or another point of view.

or to ask a question which may improve my understanding.

and I welcome being given the opportunity to learn something new, or correct some point I think I know, but is incorrect.

I have found that if you know everything (or think you do), it is hard to learn something new.

I learned quite a bit from the DPF discussion, thanks again for that series of exchanges.

The point of this minor discussion is that prefix.

Changing the subject, what do you think of this: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...ive-DSG-fluids

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack,

I never seek to discredit anyone. what would be the point of that?

only to share an observation which may improve the accuracy from including another data point or another point of view.

or to ask a question which may improve my understanding.

and I welcome being given the opportunity to learn something new, or correct some point I think I know, but is incorrect.

I have found that if you know everything (or think you do), it is hard to learn something new.

I learned quite a bit from the DPF discussion, thanks again for that series of exchanges.

The point of this minor discussion is that prefix.

Changing the subject, what do you think of this: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...ive-DSG-fluids

Please stop doing it then, because what you have done is exactly that, and that's just how I feel about it as do others.
    I don't know everything that's for sure.....kind of feel dumb here considering the much smarter people I'm surrounded by.
    Wish I could write better, and have come a long way I think........ considering my impairments.
    That's my weakness......and I really hate bullshit or drama tied to it when all I am truly trying to do is share something helpful.
    I will be the first to capitulate if I am wrong or proven wrong.
    I like to think outside normal boundaries people restrict there mind to....... based on what they were taught.

I will have a look at your DSG fluids.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Service/SMOG Updates/Data Transfer/Off Road Tuning Only! & Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gee, Jack,

I am sorry I offended or insulted you.

I truly mis-understood.

I will try to be more tactful in any future posts.

Anyone else I have offended, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now back to readiness for geeks ........

Early ME 5.xx short VAG Readiness for ABA and AAA 96-99

Key On not running.
    0x01-07- Same data default eeprom Key off 1 minute.
    0x01-10-00 Clear ADP default Key off 1 minute
    0x01-02-05 Read/Clear DTC's
    0x01-04-098 ADP TV wait until unit stops buzzing 30 seconds! Then Key off 1 minute.
    0x01-02 check DTC's if none commence if not sort conditions.
    * Proceed*
    0x01-08-098 Verify ADP-ok for TV.
    * Proceed*
    Engine running at idle and clear out with a couple blips of TV before testing.
    0x01-04-053 LDP if supported field 4 0000100 desired as passed. ( separate vacuum line test not N80 )
    0x01-04-151 EVAP shared byte with LDP for readiness monitor same desired value in binary. ( N80 Test )
    0x01-04-160 SAI test 00000100
    0x01-04-103 Getting tired will finish later on.
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Service/SMOG Updates/Data Transfer/Off Road Tuning Only! & Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    All models............2005> ON CAN

When doing 071 LDP Readiness 2005> please be driving the car, in a low gear steady speed and RPM at least 2500 to do this test & to be sure sufficient vacuum is present.

It is important that no atmospheric change over or throttle blips are exhibited during a basic settings command for this test being aborted/interrupted!

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeme View Post
    Gee, Jack,

I am sorry I offended or insulted you.

I truly mis-understood.

I will try to be more tactful in any future posts.

Anyone else I have offended, please let me know.
    mike: You certainly haven't offended me, and I suspect that you haven't offended Jack either (although I have never met the man - so I'm not sure of his general demeanor).

Personally, I find the exchange of ideas on this topic interesting. The way that folk indicate hexadecimal notation when writing numbers seems to differ - I'm not sure if there is a generational influence at play here, or if the difference is country related. Personally, I tend to use the prefix "hex" as in hex01, but I've noticed that Jack (and a few others here) prefer to use "0x". I doesn't really matter which is used, but I think that it's important to use some form of prefix so that the reader understands that the number doesn't use the more-normal decimal base. I guess it's sometimes obvious when hexadecimal is used in those instances where the number is higher than 9, because of the alpha, but this isn't the case in the lower numbers - especially if the "higher nibble" (first number in the Byte) isn't zero.

So as a general rule, it's good to see a prefix of some sort (I thnk) because it indicates that the reader should switch his/her thinking to another numbering syatem and it demonstrates that the author has taken the trouble to make the distinction to help in the reader"s understanding- as jack ALWAYS appears to do!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 01-22-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

7. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    mike: You certainly haven't offended me, and I suspect that you haven't offended Jack either (although I have never met the man - so I'm not sure of his general demeanor).

Personally, I find the exchange of ideas on this topic interesting. The way that folk indicate hexadecimal notation when writing numbers seems to differ - I'm not sure if there is a generational influence at play here, or if the difference is country related. Personally, I tend to use the prefix "hex" as in hex01, but I've noticed that Jack (and a few others here) prefer to use "0x". I doesn't really matter which is used, but I think that it's important to use some form of prefix so that the reader understands that the number doesn't use the more-normal decimal base. I guess it's sometimes obvious when hexadecimal is used in those instances where the number is higher than 9, because of the alpha, but this isn't the case in the lower numbers - especially if the "higher nibble" (first number in the Byte) isn't zero.

So as a general rule, it's good to see a prefix of some sort (I thnk) because it indicates that the reader should switch his/her thinking to another numbering syatem and it demonstrates that the author has taken the trouble to make the distinction to help in the reader"s understanding- as jack ALWAYS appears to do!

Don
    Mike is an okay guy he just likes to stir up controversy & sometimes with disinformation in a technical thread; which if it hurts the masses I must call it out........I like his threads even if they antagonize me to a degree......Some I enjoy a lot.

I prefer facts over fiction or his perceived speculation, which is why if you read his threads I have participated &" they are good threads" .; when it seems to be his slant toward pushing a part/bullshit service verse correcting an issue......... I set the record to what I believe are the facts.

Usually it's all in good fun and people find the reading entertaining and for the ones it doesn't........... click off it I say.

The DPF thread and his AC threads are a fun informant read, because he gets frustrated when I point out those facts......

I am not always right & I respect everyone's opinion when they say here is mine and why ......the guy who doesn't back it up with facts to make a good argument or as to why for their thought process, I am merciless........

My love to hate is always evenly distributed.

NostraJackAss Has Spoken!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    I've noticed that Jack (and a few others here) prefer to use "0x".
    It's standard notation in the 'C' programming language as well as others that were derived from it or inspired by it.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

10. Likes Jack@European_Parts, PetrolDave, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^^^^^^ Arhhh.................. that it explains it - I should have known!!!
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

12. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...ll=1#post95202

Please see updated JPPSG for 96>99 type readiness procedures.