Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Jack talking about? 0x01-08-000

Post Thanks / Like

What is Jack talking about? 0x01-08-000

So you will see where it is being asked to get some reading from a car, for example:

Please log 0x01-08-000 at idle for 30 seconds just the raw numbers no graph.

Please log 0x01-04-000 at idle for 30 seconds just the raw numbers no graph.

In a nut shell, 0xAA-BB-CCC breaks down as:

0x, ignore, tech babble speak for nerds. Sometimes the 0x won't be there in the first place, I do not use the 0x term.
    AA = Control module address. Every control module has a 2 digit address, 01 is Engine, 15 is Airbag or 56 is Radio.
    BB = Function. When you connect to any given control module, you then can perform some function. Measuring Blocks, Basic Settings, Login and so on. The function buttons in VCDS has the 2 digit code right there on them.
    CCC = What group/channel/value is needed for the function you are doing.

0x01-08-000
    Ignore the "0x" part, so now we have 01-08-000

01 = Engine
    08 = Measuring Blocks
    000 = Group number

Another way you may see something listed is 15-08-003.4

15 = Airbag
    08 = Measuring Blocks
    003.4 = Group 003, 4th field

If you see items in brackets, it tends to refer to a button in the VCDS software, so 15-08-003.4, or as Jack would say, 0x15-08-003.4, you may see this:

[Select]
    [15-Airbags]
    [Meas. Blocks - 08]
    Group 003, field 4.

This is mentioned on our world famous video on how to use the Ross-Tech wiki:

Jump to the 2:06 mark to see this in action.
    Last edited by Jef; 06-08-2015 at 02:37 PM.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    very helpful because I certainly had NOOO idea what that meant when people referred to it, so now I can be more involved!

My AC is not working, I just bought the HEXCAN from you guys Friday, really praying that with the forums help we can pin point the issue, my audi is only 4 years old with just over 50k so of course it is just out of warranty and all AUDI wants to do is their "guided fault finding" :-(

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought 0x was a prefix used as an identifier for hexadecimal.

so unless the identifiers are in hex, it would not belong in the reference.

are the controller references in hex? I think not, because the controller referenced above would be F, not 15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    They are indeed in hexadecimal. 0x0F is Digital (typically satellite) Radio, not Airbags.

Click through the tabs on this screen and it will become very obvious.

-Uwe-
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the short hand version try this people to get proficient.

To verify readiness!

01 engine - 15 check readiness status. ( 0x01-15 Q )

To perform tests on some CAN cars for readiness script!

0x01-04-200 and hold gas and break after selecting on, perform count down, or each test individual to isolate each system in 01 engine.

01 = engine address then when in ECU ( 0x01 )

01 = ID of engine ( 0x01-01 )

02 = check DTC ( 0x01-02 )

03 = output tests. ( 0x01-03 )

04 = basic settings ( basics should never be entered while car is running unless you know what you are doing for a channel. ) ( 0x01-04 Q)

Throttle valve tests never should be entered when running but key on engine off. ( 01-04-060,063 additional for auto with kick down ) ( 0x01-04-060 Q) ( 063 ) ( 098 )

05 = erase DTC ( 0x01-02-05 ) In actual VAG1551 ( 0x01-05 Q )

06 = end output ( 0x01-06 Q )

07 = code ECU ( 0x01-07- + value Q )

08 = measuring blocks ( 0x01-08-000/255 )

09 = individual measuring block ( 0x01-09-000/255 )

10 = adaptation ( 0x01-10-000/255 )

11 = login for security access 0x01-11- + value input 00000 )

15 = readiness ( 0x01-15 )

16 = login for security access ( 0x01-16- + value input 00000 )

ETC.

Most tests require gas and brake except 070,071,077,037,041 but some depending on the ECU support take over with brake and gas pressed.
    Some require a sweet spot RPM like OXS heaters @ 3500

01-04-108 ( Additional AUX brake booster pump ) NOTE: ( Engine not running and press brake until test commences holding..... then displays result of vacuum pump in 4th field )

These following tests while running!

01-04-071-ON ( LDP Test )

01-04-070-ON ( EVAP )

01-04-077-ON ( Secondary air test ) ( It is normal for this test to abort and may need to be done last on some controllers, however, always check DTC's after test )

01-04-028-ON ( Knock sensor test )

01-04-094/096-ON ( Vario cam timing test )

01-04-030-ON ( Heated OXS bin bits spec 111 front and 110 for rear )

01-04-034/035-ON ( Forward OXS test )

01-04-036-ON ( Rear OXS test )

01-04-037/038-ON ( Age test OXS )

01-04-041/042-ON ( Heater circuit resistance display )

01-04-043/044-ON ( Additional OXS test )

01-04-046-ON ( CAT test )

On stubborn cars!~
    Additional tests can be seen from blocks 210 on up in ME7.1.1
    Most use the standard Bosch test method for binary displays in field 4 last 3 bits ( 100 pass or 111/001/101 Testing active, FAILED TEST/NOT PREFORMED or DTC present )
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 06-01-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions LLC
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Service/SMOG Updates/Data Transfer/Off Road Tuning Only! & Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

6. Likes Trade Member, Uwe, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face

so for the hex-confused.

0x0F in binary is 00001111 which would be 15 in normal base ten, how we count money and everything with our fingers .

0x15 in binary is 00011001 which is 21 in base ten...

hence the need for the 0x prefix to make clear what is meant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Red face

so for the hex-confused.

0x0F in binary is 00001111 which would be 15 in normal base ten, how we count money and everything with our fingers .

0x15 in binary is 00011001 which is 21 in base ten...

hence the need for the 0x prefix to make clear what is meant.
    Nope it is an assigned address word in Hex ( 0x0F ) We're not counting money here......pretty sure we are not playing baseball with ten innings either.

Uwe covered this though.

They are indeed in hexadecimal. 0x0F is Digital (typically satellite) Radio, not Airbags.

Click through the tabs on this screen and it will become very obvious.

-Uwe-
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Service/SMOG Updates/Data Transfer/Off Road Tuning Only! & Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the bottom line of all this excursion is that there is a valid reason for the 0x prefix.

to find the valid index, you need to be consistent in the numbering system, and the 0x says to treat the following as hexadecimal representations.

Jack, your example could have incorporated Uwe's response had it included one or more of the hex-specific index numbers. examples which avoid any of the hex digit values over 9 [A,B,C,D,E,F] serve to reinforce the notion that the 0x is just tech-babble.

The talk of bases has nothing to do with baseball, but the numbering system.

Hexadecimal is base 16, the numbers we use for money ( and to count innings) is base 10

(but you probably think I am babbling in binary)

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this can explain you what Jack doing:

Master Technician for German cars
    Immobilizer/ECU
    /Cluster Programing (Used or NEW) and Key Programing
    Mk6 cluster in Mk5 -CLIK

email : marinmm2001@yahoo.com

11. Likes mikeme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this can explain you what Jack doing:
    Yeah I use a HEX editor Marin, but not for this specific short hand writing purpose.

So the bottom line of all this excursion is that there is a valid reason for the 0x prefix.

to find the valid index, you need to be consistent in the numbering system, and the 0x says to treat the following as hexadecimal representations.

Jack, your example could have incorporated Uwe's response had it included one or more of the hex-specific index numbers. examples which avoid any of the hex digit values over 9 [A,B,C,D,E,F] serve to reinforce the notion that the 0x is just tech-babble.

The talk of bases has nothing to do with baseball, but the numbering system.

Hexadecimal is base 16, the numbers we use for money ( and to count innings) is base 10

(but you probably think I am babbling in binary)
    Well personally I was taught that way from day one.
    The reason I was given is this............and I agree with it.
    The starting address word....... should always start with a Hex 0x ......It was done to identify a controller first.......... then the lead functions or tests going forward in it in HEX or DEC for inputs.

EXAMPLES: WHY

15 could be airbag or it could mean readiness
    02 could mean Trans or check DTC's
    03 could mean ABS or it could mean outputs
    05 could mean access/authorization or clear DTC's
    etc etc............

0x15-08-001
    0x15 ( airbag ) 08 ( measuring blocks ) 001 ( channel one )

It was done by VWAG to increase efficiency and keep the testing data cryptic to the average person when seeing the data......so they didn't understand.

I just think you over analyze things Mike.......
    My observation is that you politely try to use a process to look smart or discredit someone else.......an example of it I witnessed in the DPF thread first hand and I think it's happening now in this thread.
    I brought up baseball being a wise ass.
    So go ahead rip me up beating a dead horse ............whether directly, or passively like the SS does.

Oh and I should add that in the past I was getting lazy not installing the 0x in my short VAG.
    "Shame on you Jack"
    I was slapped with some words to remind me.......... as if French Blueberry CrÍpes were smeared in my face as to why I should be doing it.
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 06-05-2015 at 10:30 AM.

13. Likes Uwe liked this post