Thread: Level Control Bleeding/Charging

Post Thanks / Like

Level Control Bleeding/Charging

Hello, from time to time we get asked, "How do we lower/raise or fill/drain the Air Suspension system?

- This may be necessary if you are about to perform any Air Suspension system work and you want to drain the system of any dangerous air pressure.

- It also is handy to know this procedure when filling the system, after a repair or to test for leaks.

Please use this procedure with care, it should work on the Audi A8, Q7, A6 and the VW Touareg, Phaeton and the Bentley Continental.

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Level Control Bleeding/Charging

- Bleeding -

Note: The bleeding procedure will lower the vehicle, proceed with caution and refer to the factory repair manual for proper repair information, warnings and cautions!

If the Security Access code does not work, try Login or Coding-II

[Select]
    [34-Level Control]

[Security Access-16], [Login-11] or [Coding-II]
    [08367]

[Basic Settings-04]
    Enter:
    Group 020 = to Bleed Pressure Accumulator
    Group 021 = to Bleed Front Axle
    Group 022 = to Bleed Rear Axle

Field-4 will display the current pressure
    Note: System will time out after 60 seconds, the procedure maybe repeated as necessary to achieve the desired system pressure.

- Charging -

[Select]
    [34-Level Control]

[Security Access-16], [Login-11] or [Coding-II]
    [08367]
    [Do it!]

[Basic Settings-04]
    Enter:
    Group [023] = to Charge Pressure Accumulator
    Group [024] = to Charge Front Axle
    Group [025] = to Charge Rear Axle

Field-[4] will display the current pressure
    Note: System will time out after 60 seconds, the procedure maybe repeated as necessary to achieve the desired system pressure.
    Last edited by Dana; 02-01-2017 at 09:58 AM.

2. Likes Zenerdiode, delboy, Dana, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPeter View Post
    Please use this procedure with care, it should work on the Audi A8, Q7, A6 and the VW Touareg, Phaeton and the Bentley Continental.
    Only those models that do NOT use the UDS protocol for the suspension control module!

-Uwe-

4. Likes delboy, DrPeter, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have tested this successfully on my car with no issues.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tacking this info onto this post:

The problem:
    Identifying the source of a leak in an air ride suspension. Some times leaks can be hidden by a boot or plastic "cup" that is over the strut, thus one is not able to spray soapy water onto it. Other times, the valve block can have an internal leak. If no visual location of the leak is found, how does one know where the failure is and what items to replace.

My theory:
    If there is a way to isolate sections of the air ride suspension, then one could determine if the leak is before or after X location. Since the hoses for the air ride are hard plastic, you can not pinch them off like a vacuum line. There needs to be some way to put a manually operated valves in the line.

To that end, I submit this for peer review:

The MV309-4M is an inline ball valve. I paid $17.12 plus tax.
    The 32PLP-4M is a repair piece to join 2 pieces of the hose together. I paid $2.43 plus tax.
    The blue tubing is from a wrecked A6 Allroad a customer sent to me. Thanks Joe.

The plastic tubing is very easy to cut and then just pushes into the fittings. One would cut the tubing close to the air ride suspension valve body, or close to the strut and the fit the ball valve in place. Air up the suspension and then close off the ball valve.

• If the strut is the source of the leak, then it will bleed down and the car will sag.
    • If the leak is with the valve block, then with the ball valve being closed, the strut can not loose air back through the valve, thus the car stays aired up.

The ball valve is removed and the cut line can be repaired with the 32PLP-4M piece, at less than $3 a pop, a shop could keep several on hand. I am told these pieces are rated to 300PSI.

One will need to take precautions when cutting the lines. The vehicle will need to be supported on a lift (or jack stands) so that the wheels are still touching the ground and then use VCDS to bleed the air out prior to cutting.

I've not tested this method of suspension leak isolation. Feedback welcome.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

8. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post