Page 240 of 309 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 3082

Thread: ... it was funny to me....

Post Thanks / Like
    The first testicular guard (ie: the cup) was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was not used in hockey until 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.....

2. Likes D-Dub, NZDubNurd, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes Santos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    About 8 or 9 years ago, when we had not been in this building very long yet, I brought these plants in and put them in a nook in our lobby. At that point, they were about 1.5 meters high (from the floor, including the pots).

I also had some wooden poles installed that went all the way up the the second-floor ceiling. People laughed. I told them not to laugh, 'cause when the plants got to the ceiling, I was gonna retire! Then they laughed even more.

Well, it's been something of a chore keeping those plants "trained" to the poles. They naturally wanted to grow toward the light from the various windows. In fact, one of them had gotten so tall that I couldn't readily reach it to keep it properly trained to its pole. So late this afternoon, Mike and I decided that having it hang over the stairs was no longer acceptable and we came up with a scheme that seemed workable. And indeed it worked:

Guess who's the only one laughing now?

Last edited by Uwe; 09-01-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    ...I told them not to laugh, 'cause when the plants got to the ceiling, I was gonna retire! Then they laughed even more.

Sooooooo, when is your last day? Has anyone in the office hard-wired your left turn signal on so that you'll blend in to the Florida retired person traffic? Who is getting your executive parking space once you leave?????

7. Likes NZDubNurd, Bruce liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Sooooooo, when is your last day? Has anyone in the office hard-wired your left turn signal on so that you'll blend in to the Florida retired person traffic? Who is getting your executive parking space once you leave?????
    vreihen: the invidious thing about commercial success is that it tends to provide a self-sustaining reason for spending more time at work (entirely the wrong dynamic). An alternative solution that would allow Uwe to honor his "ceiling plant" retirement commitment would be to simply add another floor to the building - QED!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

9. Likes vreihen, Uwe, Bruce liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bah...You can't retire Uwe what are you going to do?
    I'm never retiring or at least never completely.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

11. Likes Bruce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    vreihen: the invidious thing about commercial success is that it tends to provide a self-sustaining reason for spending more time at work (entirely the wrong dynamic).
    The 21st century measure of commercial success is how many worthless startups (with no income potential and red ink on the balance sheets) you can spin up and sell to bigger suckers for a huge price tag, so that you can retire by age 25.....

13. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Bah...You can't retire Uwe what are you going to do?
    I'm never retiring or at least never completely.
    Jack: We have not met, but allow me a word of caution (lest your response above be a serious objective).

Your philosophy regarding retirement can only have one of two possible outcomes:
    1. your last day on this earth will be at work. You will be remembered as a brilliant VAG diagnostician and successful workshop owner. But you will never have known the pleasures of a fully rounded life (and retirement is NOT about longer week-ends). I'm not sure how old you are, but the years become more precious in later life and....well.....without intending offense, whatever objectives you might have at work are meaningless compared to the opportunities that exist for you outside the work environment!!!
    2. An "event" will occur that will be so profound as to make you fundamentally re-think your work-based value-set. The vast majority of working folk will experience such an "event" in their lifetime and it's far better to make the transition to retirement on your own terms, rather than to have that decision enforced by factors that are beyond your control - IMHO

And as for your question "what are you going to do?", the answer in retirement is - whatever you want to do (and doing nothing at all is an acceptable pursuit - for a period of time).

So, I implore that you rethink your future plans. Don't worry too much if finance is an issue - that's your bank manger's problem! Set yourself a target date for retirement and work towards that date (it can be moved either way if needs dictate). And most definitely relish retirement for what it is - the glorious opportunity to satisfy a single shareholder's interest (yours!).

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

15. Likes vreihen, Uwe, Bruce, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    But you will never have known the pleasures of a fully rounded life (and retirement is NOT about longer week-ends). I'm not sure how old you are, but the years become more precious in later life and....well.....without intending offense, whatever objectives you might have at work are meaningless compared to the opportunities that exist for you outside the work environment!!!
    I've tried on multiple occasions to introduce him to the culture of different regions/countries, but my efforts have fallen on deaf ears. Any time that he gets more than 25 km away from his shop, it is like his leash tugs at his neck and he has to go running right back. I don't know how Uwe got him to go to Las Vegas for SEMA.

As for that retirement thing, this thread is titled "it was funny to me." The reason why his post was funny to me is that I feel that he already retired at age 40.

Oh, regarding that profound event that you mentioned, I wear a 3 kg albatross around my neck 24/7...so I would be the last person to disagree with your sage advice.....

17. Likes DV52, Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    An alternative solution that would allow Uwe to honor his "ceiling plant" retirement commitment would be to simply add another floor to the building - QED!
    Interesting idea, but there are a a couple of problems with it:
    1) I don't own the building.
    2) Even if I bought it, it sits on a plot of land that's zoned Residential and it was built and is being used via zoning "variances" that the township granted due to its location on a fairly busy 4-lane road, where no one would actually want to live. Thus it was built in an architectural style that's far closer to residential than commercial and I don't believe there's any way they would allow the increased height of another floor.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

19. Likes vreihen, Jack@European_Parts liked this post