Page 270 of 272 FirstFirst ... 170220260268269270271272 LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 2713

Thread: ... it was funny to me....

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    ^^^^^ I didn't know that anyone still made 27 MHz radio controlled toys.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032HF60M
    vreihen: We just had our own Amazon outlet open-up here in Australia this week. The opening came with predictions of wide-spread closures of lots of local shops who say that they won't be able to compete against Amazon's buying power. Given the Australia no longer manufactures anything, and that local wage growth is in the toilet, I suspect the real problem will be the availability of disposal income. Anyhow, it seems that Amazon at least sees Australia as a profitable market

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

2. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, I was sitting at my desk trying to do work this afternoon, when I overheard a conversation between two of my office suite co-workers. One of them came into work a few days ago, and noticed that someone had turned the picture of his kid on his desk upside-down and also something was backwards on his office antique knick knack shelf. The other one said that his IP desk phone didn't work this morning, and he discovered that someone had unplugged the two RJ-45 connectors on the bottom and swapped them overnight. They were getting all paranoid about someone snooping around the office area at night, and I told them that there was nothing to worry about because it was just the building's ghost having some fun with them. It has never hurt anyone in my 30+ years working there, and has always stopped bothering someone if they admit that the ghost is real and ignore its pranks.

When I first started my employment (back when dinosaurs roamed the fishbowls and computers didn't run 24/7), I had worked second shift one night and first shift the next morning. I had used the attached serial console to shut the system down, and then locked the processor room on my way out. Being a high security area, not even the mall cops or custodial crews had a key to get in. Locked doors don't stop ghosts, though. The next morning, I discovered that someone had moved the serial console's cable to the wrong DB-25 port when I tried to boot up and nothing displayed. My boss at the time explained the whole ghost thing, and how to get it to stop bothering me.

A year or so later, the mall cops were having problems finding night guards to patrol the upper floors. They would walk the entire hallway, checking that every office light was out and all windows closed. They would then turn around and walk the hallway in reverse, and invariably find an open door, outside window, or light turned on. I walked a patrol once with them and saw it first hand, and know that it spooked (pun intended) a few guards into quitting rather than patrol those upper floors.

When my co-workers heard the ghost stories this afternoon, they hit the equipment shelves and rigged up a camera system to find out who is doing it. I asked them what they planned to do if they *didn't* catch the ghost (or a person) on video but found stuff moved? Try harder, of course. I warned them that they are going into battle with the paranormal, and the only way to reach a stalemate is to admit that the ghost exists and ignore its pranks until it moves on. Silly kids.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, I am not playing a practical joke on them. As much as I don't believe in that supernatural hokum, there is no denying that something unexplainable is happening and holy water isn't a defense.....

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    vreihen: I don't mean any offense and I have the upmost respect for your grip on reality, but ghosts - really?

I'm by no means an expert on what happens when folk have shuffled-off their mortal coils (to use an idiom from the bard), but even if we entertain the concept of the paranormal - why on God's green earth would such sentient beings be motivated by human traits such as practical-jokes, or the need to scare living humans? The attribution of such traits to ghosts is a kind of supernatural anthropomorphism - humans do this to animals all the time to try to understand their actions, but it's nothing more than nonsense - sorry for being so blunt!!

Does anyone really believe that a supernatural species that is able to manipulate physical matter would get their jollies by swapping cables on DB-25 sockets - just as a practical joke? I mean- If I was a ghost and I had paranormal abilities, why would I get any pleasure (do ghosts get "pleasure") from confusing an office worker by changing wall plugs?

If I really got my jollies from practical jokes as a ghost, and if I was able to manipulate matter, why wouldn't I change the cables behind the wall sockets?? Now there's a much better practical joke!!

Don

5. Likes Uwe, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    ...why on God's green earth would such sentient beings be motivated by human traits such as practical-jokes, or the need to scare living humans?
    Never watched Casper as a kid, eh?

I suspect that it is buyer's remorse when they reach the hereafter and find out that there are no wings, harps, or 72 virgins waiting for them.

If I really got my jollies from practical jokes as a ghost, and if I was able to manipulate matter, why wouldn't I change the cables behind the wall sockets?? Now there's a much better practical joke!!
    There *is* an explanation why the ghost hasn't swapped cables behind wall plates. It, like them, probably can't find where they left any of the 110 punchdown tools. The two people in question are the caretakers of the fiber/copper/telco cable plant and network/PBX switches, and one of them has a habit of losing tools. If anything were swapped, they would just blame each other and the ghost wouldn't get its chuckles for pranking them.

Anyway, something/someone is trying to get their attention, and the only way to make it stop that I've ever found is to ignore the pranks.....

7. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

9. Likes Boki Ar, NZDubNurd, Da Tow'd, vreihen, dingle, D-Dub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone really believe that a supernatural species that is able to manipulate physical matter would get their jollies by swapping cables on DB-25 sockets - just as a practical joke? I mean- If I was a ghost and I had paranormal abilities, why would I get any pleasure (do ghosts get "pleasure") from confusing an office worker by changing wall plugs?
    The only rational conclusion that I can come up with is that the ghost has nothing else to live for.

On the ghost hunt front, I came in this morning and found one of the two going over last night's security camera recordings. I walked in quietly behind him, and asked if he caught the ghost...which made him jump nearly out of his skin because he didn't hear me! Nothing on the videos but the overnight custodians, and one unexplained motion recording trip when nothing was observed in the video frame. Apparently, this ghost doesn't reflect 850nm infrared light. They're not going to take my advice and ignore it.....

11. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They're not going to take my advice and ignore it.....
    That's young people for you - when we try to offer advice based on our experience, it's very often ignored - usually at unnecessary cost to our employers

Experience CAN save an awful lot of time, money and stress - but only if it's listened to!!!

13. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently, this ghost doesn't reflect 850nm infrared light. They're not going to take my advice and ignore it.....
    vrreihen: My life's credo has always been that there is nothing more obtuse than a man who believes that truth has only one face. So I will remain agnostic (rather than an atheist) about your ghost hypothesis. But from a purely logical perspective - how does a sentient being trigger an infrared camera in the first place, but then remain undetected by the same wavelength light? Sounds very much like the practical joker @ your place of employment is human! Why not set-up you own camera - but don't tell any of your co-workers?

Don

15. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    .... Why not set-up you own camera - but don't tell any of your co-workers?

Don
    Or electrify a few things, and see who's lying on the floor, smouldering, in the morning

17. Likes Boki Ar, vreihen, DV52, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Why not set-up you own camera - but don't tell any of your co-workers?
    Because that would end the truce that Artie has with the ghost(s) and they would start to pick on him again, obviously!
    Ceterum censeo, delenda est Daesh.

19. Likes vreihen, NZDubNurd, DV52 liked this post