Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ - Touran wants an R32 engine

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been thinking.

If you put mkiv ECU and IF they are the same "motronic", looking at mkiv wiring, it shows me that it still has output from cluster to ECU transmitting speed, which makes me think that you have to do some reflash on ecu to get mkv stuff onto it.

I don't have much experience with ECU flash and software but i know how they should work.
    Volkswagen Golf MKV 2.0TDI-8V 4MOTION MY2007 SEAT LEON FR 1.8TSI MY2018 Some of the work I've done and cared to make a picture.
    Our webpage and Facebook page Heads up, it's in Estonian language.
    The world is my oyster...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah... the reflash thing worries me, as it's not something I've done before... but can it be much harder than a comples Access database I've done that!

I think the problem may be that SOME of the code may need to be changed, but updating to the complete MK5 software may cause other issues (like the cam sensor signal - I don't know if the signal is different, the trigger is different, or if it's just a different sensor/plug and can be swapped or rewired to suit either type). Apparently the ECU is quicker in the MK5 too. Elsewhere, someone said running the MK5 ECU on the MK4 engine is fine, just need to change the fuel rail and some wiring connectors.

But all the info I get is non-confirmed and can cause great expense if it's wrong!

I'm going to ask a wrecker what it'll cost for a setup from a PQ35 platform car - maybe audi A3 etc, though they won't have manual boxes, and I'll have to convert that at the same time... otherwise it'll have to be a whole new plan! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I REALLY want this noise:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NZDubNurd View Post
    I REALLY want this noise
    Had that kind of noise once, in this car:

That was only a 12V, but I do miss the VR6 sound. Yes, yes, I still have a 24V VR6, but it's all stock in a T4, and that ain't the same at all.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Yes, yes, I still have a 24V VR6, but it's all stock in a T4, and that ain't the same at all.
    Hmmm... probably not quite A T4 was nother option, but trying to park it in town her wouldn't be easy for my wife!

I think I've found a local source for an R32 ECU from a MK5, so that should overcome my electrical issues (other than having to spend 100's of hours re-running wiring and making a new loom with the wrong colours for the diagram!). If not... EBAY!

IF the cam sensors are an issue, I'll try retrofitting the MK5 ones, and if the trigger wheels are different, I'll have to smash the crap out of that bridge IF I get to it....

In other news, I have another interested party in my Transporter, so R32ran may get a start soon.

In other other news, did an autoscan on my work van, so can see my serial number in VCDS now...

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And...

In other other other news...

I did "technically" start on the project...

It was $800 more than the one I was eyeing up already, but the colour is awesome (seriously - I'm not actually a chick though). 2 years newer too. Hopefully it looks as good as the pics

7. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It needs touran 1t2 front end with afs xenon .

Post Thanks / Like
    HA!

Nah, I don't like the 1T2 Front, but the latest Caddy front can go on (with a bit of work). I can tell my wife it's new then

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Assuming you get this thing built, will your wife be willing to drive it? Better yet, will she enjoy driving it? If so, you're a lucky man.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Assuming you get this thing built, will your wife be willing to drive it? Better yet, will she enjoy driving it? If so, you're a lucky man.
    She'll drive anything really - Her cars have always been a little more normal, but mine have been... err "unusual" - she's driven all of them and been happy enough. If I didn't tell her I was "improving" the Touran, she'd have just assumed it was normal Enjoy/Tolerate - is the same thing

EVERY auto car we had (3), i either converted to manual, or it was investigated in depth

Since we were married:
    I got her a 5 cyl Honda Inspire Gen2 (like a Vigor), a Subaru Impreza, and the E39 525i.

I had: VW Squareback, Suzuki Cappuccino 660cc turbo, Daihatsu Mira 850, Daihastu Max 360 2 stroke, Suzuki Wagon R+ 1.0 Turbo, VW Beetle, T3 Kombi (Vanagon) with EJ25..... amongst the more normal and work related cars :-).

If I pull off the "R32ran", I'd want it to be as "stock" seeming as possible. From the outside, it'll be a real sleeper (I already ordered mudflaps!), but I may go up to 17" wheel to get better performance tyres.

Basically, I'm only going to use funds from the "vehicle fund" which will involve selling something. If the deals I've got setup so far go through, the R32 swap should be easy. If not, it'll be a manual conversion, and maybe even look into doing the 4-motion, in case I still go R32 later

I'm not going to get stuck on one thing or nothing, but I want to aim for what I really want, and see how far I get. I'd like to think it would be desirable enough at the end to get my money back... but that's hardly a reality

If nothing else, my wife should be a little happy: instead of spending hours soaking up information off internet fourms, I'll be stuck in the garage filling buckets with wire insulation strippings and removing fingerprints with a soldering iron (which is a Weller solder station about my age, because I know the other VW Nerds on here like to know these things!).

12. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sheeeesh... I seem to be using up ALLL my forum words on here!

Touran is here - I'm just about to go save an auto scan from it...

In FAR more exciting news - local to me, someone has a wrecked Audi A3 3.2! It's a DSG, which I REALLY don't want (in case you missed it earlier), but I'm hoping it's a quattro too - that would give me the rear subframe and haldex, correct shaped fuel tank etc for the 4-motion - I'd only have the manual 6 speed so source then Hopefully the guy isn't too *rich* with his prices though.

Sooooooooooooooooo... can I get the SKC from the complete car, so I can do the conversion and keep the immobiliser in tact (Or is that something I'm not supposed to ask here??? )