Difficulty choosing!

Kelly6773

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248899
I've read about as much as I can read and still having trouble choosing which to get. I own iphone & iPad & an older mid 07 macbook. I would like to go with HEX-NET. My iPhone is set up to teather, but has a password on it an I'm not sure if I can take off the password! I also don't want to have to buy a windows laptop for just this if I can avoid it! Any advise?

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Hi Robert-

You just plug the password for the HotSpot from the iPhone into the HEX-NET configuration utility or the web interface in AP mode of the HN and away you go.
If you run Parallels and a version of Windows under Mac OS X it works well to, not officially supported but I've never had an issue. -Jake

Last edited:

Kelly6773

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248899
But will I be able to use it in infrastructure mode as well?

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Yep.
When I got mine I put it in AP mode, connected to it with my iPhone and filled in the infrastructure stuff.
Then you push the button on HEX-NET and it will connect.

The wifi config through the web page looks like this:

ScreenShot2014-07-08at175725_zpsb2640896.png

Here's a video on it with more at: http://www.ross-tech.com/hex-net/index.html

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What kind of car do you have? What do you intend to accomplish?

I'm not sure I understand why a password for tethering would cause problems. I assume what you mean there is that a device that wishes to have internet access via your phone's hotspot needs to have the password for your phone's hotspot, same as it would need the password for a a WiFi router. The HEX-NET certainly supports this.

You can install Windows on your Macbook, using Boot Camp.

-Uwe-

Edit: I got distracted with something else while I was typing this, and I see Jake as been here already. :D

Kelly6773

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248899
Oh thank you soooooo much! I've read all over but no real YES it will work in infrastructure! I'll be ordering it if it's out of beta!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's not out of Beta, but hey...

-Uwe-

Kelly6773

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248899
I just purchased an 11 JSW and plan on using it for general mechanical use. I plan on doing all the maintenance that I can. I believe I can only run win 8 in boot camp as Microsoft is pushing to get away from win 7. I wasn't sure if the password would cause an issue. I'm very new to this and learning as I read. I can wait for it to come out of beta! And thank you very much for responding!

Back