Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A4 B8 Avant - coding issues after Keyless Go / Xenon retrofit

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Now it's 0...
    It still says "Service Due"...
    EDIT: After turning on the engine, drive approx 5 meters and reading the "SRI" again, it has now changed the value to 1 again. I'm about to give up...
    Given the values that are now it, it, I'm at a loss to explain that.

56-Day counter - what is that?
    I believe it's the number of days since the car was "born" and cannot be changed.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    It might be possible to flash the BCM module to DJ. Both DH and DJ seem to have H16 as hardware "size" so it might be doable.

Edit: One more edit

Did some digging and looks like that there are two different xenon types for facelifted A4. non-AFS and AFS. Difference is that non-AFS does not need range control module and AFS control modules in the headlights. AFS lights need both range control module (older models, FL this is integrated to BCM1) and AFS modules. Range control module controls both the curve light and the side movement of the headlights according to how the steering wheel is turned.
    According to your picture, you have AFS xenon lights as non-AFS do not have the curve light.

Do you have 2 control modules on the bottom of the headlight assembly? There should xenon ballast and AFS control module. The AFS control modules are controlled through CAN bus so they need can bus wiring added.

Edit 2 :

Sorry for mixing the thread still but found another source and there it said that FL A4 and A5 have separate level control module integrated to the BCM1. Seems that the BCM1 functions are controlled by parameterizations (surprise surprise) and it needs a new dataset for AFS headlights. That you cannot upload with VCDS unfortunately

For the reference, here's the PR codes. The BCM1 needs to support 8Q5 or 8Q6 depending on the AFS variant.

PRCode: 8Q1 =
    Headlight-range adjustment
    PRCode: 8Q1 = Headlight-range adjustment
    PRCode: 8Q1 = Headlight-range adjustment static
    PRCode: 8Q0 = Headlight-range adjustment 8Q3 = headlight-range adjustment dynamic
    PRCode: 8Q4 = headlamp range adjustment with fixed bending light
    PRCode: 8Q5 = headlight-range adjustment automatic / dynamic with bending dynamic light ( AFS 1)
    PRCode: 8Q6 = headlight -range adjustment automatic / dynamic with fixed and dynamic bending light ( AFS 2)
    PRCode: 8Q7 = Headlight-range adjustment
    Hi

I struggled with that issue on a Audi Q5 for weeks...without any solution! I compared the f*** out of any Auto-Scan I could find with these headlights.
    I assume that the solution is in parameters but I do not have a prove for that.

The pre-Facelift has a dedicated bit in Unit 55 for these static bending lights.
    The problem is that Unit 55 went into the BCM due to the Facelift.

3. Likes downtime liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I saw your posts on the other forum. Although the picture I attached on the previous page of the BCM1 dataset contents shows that there's parameterization blocks for AFS lights, you're right, it still ain't the full proof that it would be a parameterization issue.
    However, to quote Sherlock Holmes, "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?". So in this case, this parameterization is the most logical reason.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhhh Just when I've thought I've got the right BCM1 in my car.

Picture of my BCM - please notice that pin 12 and 13 is missing

According to ElsaWin the "xenon-led-lights-can-bus" should be connected here

I think can stop trying to change any coding for now
    Audi A4 Avant - '13
    Next mod: none... Strange...
    Completed: Sport Edition Plus bumpers, Xenon/LED, MMI 3G+ DAB/SIM, PDC, A6 4G exterior door handles with lights, reverse camera, ACC, electric trunk, footwell lights, trailer hitch, Bang & Olufsen DSP, Side Assist, Active Lane Assist and Keyless Go

6. Likes Uwe, downtime liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still pretty sure that you need to upload correct parameters if the BCM1 does not have them. However, get an used BCM1 and try to get one from a xenon equipped car. That should have correct parameters already in and then it's just connect, CP remove, code and fire away

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    I'm still pretty sure that you need to upload correct parameters if the BCM1 does not have them. However, get an used BCM1 and try to get one from a xenon equipped car. That should have correct parameters already in and then it's just connect, CP remove, code and fire away
    Just found one on eBay. Iím 99,99% sure that if the pins are there, all the correct parameters are there as well. Seems that Audi is leaving out the pins when itís not needed.
    Audi A4 Avant - '13
    Next mod: none... Strange...
    Completed: Sport Edition Plus bumpers, Xenon/LED, MMI 3G+ DAB/SIM, PDC, A6 4G exterior door handles with lights, reverse camera, ACC, electric trunk, footwell lights, trailer hitch, Bang & Olufsen DSP, Side Assist, Active Lane Assist and Keyless Go

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Seems that Audi is leaving out the pins when it’s not needed.
    Seems they are making a science out of shaving every fraction of a penny of cost from everything if it's not absolutely needed.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

10. Likes diskoboy, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just found one on eBay. I’m 99,99% sure that if the pins are there, all the correct parameters are there as well. Seems that Audi is leaving out the pins when it’s not needed.
    Most likely yes. The CAN connection is only needed for AFS lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Seems they are making a science out of shaving every fraction of a penny of cost from everything if it's not absolutely needed.
    But are they taking into account the extra cost to their systems of the more complex inventory, and the reduced volumes of every variant?

When I was working for a multi-national telecoms company we looked into this sort of multiple variant schema and found that the extra cost to our systems was greater than the savings in piece part costs!

13. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    But are they taking into account the extra cost to their systems of the more complex inventory, and the reduced volumes of every variant?
    I've often wondered that myself.

-Uwe-

15. Likes PetrolDave liked this post