Programming if/then conditions with Leuchte channels?

iroc86

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=337264
Do the Leuchte channels on the MQB platform support conditional logic, like an if/then statement? I know the "alpha pairs" (AB, CD, EF, GH) are applied in order of precedence, but I haven't found any information about whether functions can be activated based on the status of something else. Here's an example:

I want to change the way the cornering lights work from the stock AFS configuration. I don't like having them turn on at speed without the signal, and I don't like the delay between when the turn signal is activated and when the cornering light turns on (about 2 seconds). I want them to work the way cornering lights worked on old cars: signal on, light on. But only when the headlights are turned on.

I can sort of make this work by using the "Blinken links/rechts aktiv (beide Phasen)" setting with the cornering light outputs, but it activates the lights whether the headlights are on or off, as expected. Similarly, turning on the hazard flashers also causes the cornering lights to turn on, which I don't really want.

Is there a way to group the alpha channels, perhaps with other settings, to enable or restrict the lighting functionality depending on the condition of other parameters?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^What an excellent question!!

I will recant if you receive contrary comments from more experienced colleagues here - but in a sense, the existing Leutche programming language does indeed support a form of "if/then" statement.

If you think about the broad-structure for the car lighting, it can be generally divided into a system of activating switches/light-sensors and separately, lamps.

In conventional car wiring, these 2 x broad components are physically connected to the same circuit for each lighting function. But in MQB platform vehicles, these lighting elements are instead connected to the same module (BCM) and their roles become in essence, software inputs and software outputs.

So- in a sense, a leuchte-command applied to any "Alpha" channel is itself a "if/then" statement:if the activating light-switch/light-sensor condition on the "input" pin of the BCM is correct, then a PWM signal is applied to the output pin of the BCM - I think.

However, and while IMO the boffins @ VW have created a very flexible facility in the 665 x Leuchte adaptation channels in the BCM, Leuchte-programming is very rudimentary in its current form. Other than the enforced priority order (as you mention), I don't believe that there is a conditional "if/then" capability that can link "Alpha pairs".

But the BCM does contain "normal" adaptation channels that allow for the tuning of certain light functions such as cornering lights:
Code:
IDE03638-IDE04231-static AFS light-Steering wheel angle; offset
IDE03638-ENG116677-static AFS light-Abdimmgeschwindigkeit
IDE03638-ENG116673-static AFS light-bei Rueckwaertsfahrt
IDE03638-ENG116682-static AFS light-Maximaltemperatur
IDE03638-ENG116676-static AFS light-Obere Geschwindigkeitsschwelle
IDE03638-ENG116679-static AFS light-obere Grenztemperatur
IDE03638-ENG116681-static AFS light-Oberer Lenkradwinkel
IDE03638-ENG116675-static AFS light-Untere Geschwindigkeitsschwelle
IDE03638-ENG116680-static AFS light-untere Grenztemperatur
IDE03638-ENG116678-static AFS light-Unterer Lenkradwinkel
IDE03638-ENG116674-static AFS light-Vorschrift

Don

iroc86

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=337264
Thanks, Don! I figured if anyone had some insight on this, it'd be you. :)

I like your analogy of the MQB lighting system to software inputs and outputs. That's how I'm seeing it, too. I suspect most cars are set up similarly these days, but it's really helpful that VAG put those relationships right in programmable memory without hardcoding them deeper in the system. It's probably because their platform is so scalable for a variety of different makes and models.

If conditional statements aren't possible between the alpha pairs, then I'll probably just use the AFS adaptation channels that you mentioned to address my immediate concern with the cornering lights. I think I can accomplish about 90% of what I want to do by disabling the dimming and putting the steering wheel angle out of bounds (or turning up the vehicle enable speed). This should allow the cornering lights to operate like in the old days with only turn signal activation... although, in my testing, the weird 2-second delay is still there.

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
If I had to translate the Leuchte Set behaviour into programmic paradigma then I say that every Leuchte is an object with properties and event subscription.
Properties be like Dimming Direction and Dimming value...

Then lighting groups like AB subscribe to specific lighting events which get fired when this lighting function is enabled.

Last edited:

iroc86

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=337264
If I had to translate the Leuchte Set behaviour into programmic paradigma then I say that every Leuchte is an object with properties and event subscription.
Properties be like Dimming Direction and Dimming value...

Then lighting groups like AB subscribe to specific lighting events which get fired when this lighting function is enabled.

Thanks for the analogy--that helps! :)

Back