NEX-NET 'Nose'

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Have I broken the bar from the 'nose' of my HEX-NET - or is it missing by design? I'm on about the plastic bar that would normally separate the two 8-pin rows.

Picture helps too. :)

muYoBHQ.jpg

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
It won't actually prevent you using it though - that rib is only really there to offer more stability to the port. On everything but the most worn diagnostic socket you won't notice any difference.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Hi Chris, you have on of the very early HEX-NETs. A little more than 2 years ago, we redesigned the nose and we changed the plastic material from which it is molded to make it less brittle as it aged. I know the early HEX-NETs went out with our original design. From the picture and from our records, I'm near certain yours was an original design. I can tell by the locking tab - another area we changed.

As Mike has said, it will not hurt use to not have the tab. Replacing the nose on one of these is not for the faint of heart. I would not recommend trying it. But if you want to try, we could send you a nose assembly. Understand, if you break the HEX-NET main board in the process, there is no warranty on that.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It won't actually prevent you using it though - that rib is only really there to offer more stability to the port. On everything but the most worn diagnostic socket you won't notice any difference.
It has another purpose. It prevents one from plugging a diagnostic tool that's only rated for 12V systems into a vehicle (generally heavy trucks) that use 24V electrical systems. The 24V rated ones also have a tab, but it's missing the middle section:

30076-2_05_0520x0390_01.jpg

And of course the slot in the mating 24V socket is not continuous:

34013_OBD-Buchse_12_0520x0515_01.jpg

As long as Christopher doesn't go plugging his HEX-NET into any 24V heavy trucks, it will be fine the way it is.

FWIW, I am still using this one:

8X4SpdW.jpg

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
PS: Internal Reference O?ID=382007

-Uwe-

Back