Brake pad warning (8D/B5 Audi A4)

len121064

Reaction score
hi everyone, hoping someone can help! really need to get rid of brake pad warning light. when connected to vcds-lite, I'm getting a soft coding of 00440. how do I subtract 1 from 00. have played about with it and it only seems to accept 00 - 03. none of which seems to get rid of my warning.

It's a 1999 A4.

it's the first time I ever used vcds but everything seems to be set up fine and all communicating ok.

any ideas re vcds anyone? the cars been asking for a service for last few months - that couldn't have locked options could it?

len121064

Reaction score
did do a scan, can't remember that anything particular came up. it's gonna be quite a job to do that, i don't have a laptop and so had to lug desktop and all paraphernalia down to car and rig up sixty foot of extension cable.
do you think there's any hope? I had come too accept that it is not possible with my car?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
did do a scan, can't remember that anything particular came up. it's gonna be quite a job to do that, i don't have a laptop and so had to lug desktop and all paraphernalia down to car and rig up sixty foot of extension cable.
VCDS will have saved the scan as a .txt file in the C:\ROSS_TECH\VCDS\Scans folder so you don't need to lug your desktop back down to the car, just copy and paste the .txt file in a post here between CODE tags.

len121064

Reaction score
will do. at work now and rear brake caliper to replace tonight but will get onto it

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
VCDS will have saved the scan as a .txt file in the C:\ROSS_TECH\VCDS\Scans folder so you don't need to lug your desktop back down to the car, just copy and paste the .txt file in a post here between CODE tags.
Unfortunately, VCDS-Lite (which the OP indicates he's using) does not Auto-Save any scans.

-Uwe-

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Unfortunately, VCDS-Lite (which the OP indicates he's using) does not Auto-Save any scans.
Well, I never knew that - they say you learn something every day :thumbs:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well, I never knew that - they say you learn something every day :thumbs:
There's a reason it's called "Lite". ;)

Heck, the whole installer is only 1.6 MB. :cool:

-Uwe-

len121064

Reaction score
ok guys, is it possible my system is just not adjustable or should i definitely be able to change the warning function?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If this is really a 1999 model, it should be able to turn off the brake wear warning. But as you mentioned, the digits in question are already 00, so it seems it is already off. Now if this were actually a 2000 model, it looks like there is no coding for disabling that, which would explain why the warning is still there despite those digits being 00, and the most expedient solution would be simply to bridge the circuit as close to the cluster as possible.

-Uwe-

len121064

Reaction score
think you got it Uwe. it's a V reg. just wanted a bash with vcds. never mind, back to the drawing board. why is the 2000 model non adjustable?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
it's a V reg.
The UK registration letter isn't what matters, it's the model year that counts - which is indicated by a letter/number in the VIN. Remember the model year changes around the time of the Summer factory shutdown and that some cars spend time in an importer/dealer lot before being sold or be pre-registered so can be an earlier model year than expected.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
why is the 2000 model non adjustable?
You would have to ask Audi that question. I would suppose they decide that pad wear warnings should be standard equipment at that time.

-Uwe-

Back