Passat backup camera lens angle and calibration question

amilesg

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=45961
Hey folks!

So I just installed a highline backup camera setup into a U.S. 2012 NMS Passat. It works great, I've got the moving guidelines, and thanks very much to all the folks here and elsewhere who have posted writeups and helpful info.

Just one issue remains: the camera lens seems to be aimed too low, such that the video image shows a lot of bumper and not much driveway, much like this photo.

The camera is built into the trunk lid release handle, part # 5N0827566, and it's definitely mounted properly. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for angle, either for the handle itself or the lens angle within the handle. This gives me some questions.

First, I'm wondering about calibration. I have not been able to get the unit to successfully run the calibration procedure; it keeps telling me "target not recognized." Still working on that, but my question is, doesn't the calibration just affect the drawing of the guidance lines on top of the video image? I mean, the control module just takes in the video signal as is, and paints the lines over it before sending it on to the head unit. Is that right? Or does the control module actually manipulate the image perspective based on its calibration values?

What I'm asking is, if I can get it to properly calibrate, will that fix my camera angle? I'm doubtful, since I don't believe the control module works that way with the video signal. Can someone set me straight here? (For reference, my control module is a 3C0907441.)

If not, my next question is, do I need a different version of the 5N0827566 trunk-handle camera? There are -AB, -D, -G, -J versions out there, possibly others. Does someone know if there are variations in the internal lens mounting angle between those parts, to accommodate different vehicle models with differently sloped sheet metal where the handle mounts? That could explain things. Or does the control module take care of that?

Thanks for whatever insight you can provide. I'm quite pleased to have a working RVC but it's gotta be perfect, ya know. :)

Cheers,
Andrew in Seattle

kamold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=241363
There are different parameter sets for the camera which change the view. You need to load the correct parameter set and that will correct the angle of view.
You need to use a different tool to do this, not a function VCDS performs.

Back