2008 VW EOS FSI 2.0 T Rattling noise ONLY at cold start for couple seconds

Pfaizulla

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=322498
Hello,
I have a 2008 EOS FSI 2.0 Turbo. The car is rattling everytime I start in the morning or leaving it for couple of hours. I checked below and they are all looks good:

1- High pressure fuel pump. I opened it and find it fine, lubricated, and no sign or damage, it looks shiny and new.
2- Removed the tensioner and the chain cover on the driver side of the engine. The tensioner plastic is NOT broken and the tensioner was moving normally and the belt was not loosy.
3- Removed Oil solenoid, it looks clean and no dirt on it.
4- Car has new oil and filter, and I am sure previous owners maybe never changed oil.
5- Removed Timing belt cover and the belt looks good to me and the rattling sound does not seem to be from the timing belt side.
6- Removed engine cover, and nothing weird noticed there.

Couple more things I read here and there which they are : 1- Transmission FlyWheel and Oil hose lifter in the Oil pane might be dirty.

1- I do not know how to inspect Transmission FlyWheel.
2- If the Oil hose is dirty, I assume the engine light or maybe Oil pump light will come up.

I appriciate if you guys could help me with finding the cause of this sound.

Note: Please do not add TSI or any other type of engine issue on this post, this is FSI engine. Also, lets have this post for future reference for whoever will have this problem in future.

Thanks,

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Is it a tappety type noise? You may have a tappet bleeding down that ticks until the cam oil rails get pressurised.

Good point Dr. Z... There are indeed typically check valves to hold residual flow back to the head or in block for such a function and one could be faulty bleeding down.

Pfaizulla

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=322498
Thank you guys for your input. I assume the top part drain the oils back to the bottom after while and then at next start it make this sound. Is there a valve or something between the top and bottom to stop draining the oil?

a4bill

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=340446
Read this post: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?5999-Where-do-I-get-a-Wiring-Diagram

An Erwin 24hr subscription will give you everything you need. Just print to PDF, save and voila: a pretty intense service manual and wiring diagrams at your fingertips. (It practically saved what's left of my sanity working on my own car)

They have wiring diagrams, workshop manuals, as well as maintenance schedules etc. It's totally worth just downloading all of it for your car.

Larhal

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295910
Could it be the cam chain tensioner, they rattle for a few seconds while oil pressure is building up?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Could it be the cam chain tensioner, they rattle for a few seconds while oil pressure is building up?

It could if it's faulty and most are & due to lack lubrication quality, that has suffered horribly!

Larhal

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295910
It could if it's faulty and most are & due to lack lubrication quality, that has suffered horribly!

I had the same issue on a 1.8T AVJ engine. I change the cam chain tensioner and low and behold noise gone and she is running great. Keep in mind the engine had 129500 miles on it and it was the original.

Back