Refurbished VCDS interface

Henrick

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Hello everyone,

I didn't think of a more suitable section for this post rather than this one. In case it's in wrong section, please feel free to move it.

A few days back I had a conversation with a friend mine who lives in US.
He told me that some time ago he got a "remanufactured" (or refurbished) VCDS interface (HEX-CAN) directly from Ross Tech. The price offered was lower than the new one's.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Is it a used interface or what? If it is a used, then any ideas what components (if any) have been replaced (e.g. USB wire)?
Any other interesting details about such interfaces?
I have never seen those for sale on the official website...
Neither I have seen/used his interface in reality but he claims it works just perfectly.

Thanks for any information.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
We generally don't sell refurbished interfaces. The only real exception has been at the Waterfest show, and I think the last time we did that show was in 2013.

We keep returns (mostly from people who are upgrading to current generation interfaces) as service stock for people who have an older interface that needs to be replaced but who don't wish to upgrade at this time. As for what components get replaced: This depends on condition.

-Uwe-

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Has anyone heard of such a thing? Is it a used interface or what? If it is a used, then any ideas what components (if any) have been replaced (e.g. USB wire)?

As Uwe already indicated, what refurbished means in terms of what gets replaced highly depends on the specific case. As a general rule, refurbished devices are in an as good condition as new ones, in some cases they may have minor cosmetic issues or usage/wear markings (scratches on the shell for example). We believe that refurbished units are as good as new ones, Ross-Tech and our distributors certainly go through some lengths to make sure they are.

Some of the things that get checked/addressed/replaced in the refurbishing process: noses, shells, cables, calibration etc.

Any other interesting details about such interfaces?

Some of our distributors sell those directly on their website. For example:

https://shop.pci-diagnosetechnik.de/VCDS-HEX-CAN-USB-Refurbished

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
He told me that some time ago he got a "remanufactured" (or refurbished) <acronym title="A registered trademark of Ross-Tech, LLC" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">VCDS</acronym> interface (HEX-CAN) directly from Ross Tech. The price offered was lower than the new one's.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?
If the "remanufactured" cable mysteriously stops working after being connected to the latest VCDS software update, then you will know its authenticity.

Henrick

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Thanks everyone for response, pretty interesting.
The cable is not mine and I have never seen it in real life. The person who owns it got years ago and I think it didn't stop with the latest 18.2, which is what I use on mine too.

Back