VCDS Programming API and/or "Apps" equivalent?

wildstar87

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=252770
Has there been any thought to add functionality, similar to what ODBEleven is doing, and have an "app", or more accurately, a macro that you could create, that would change a bunch of values at once, for a certain type of functionality?

Barring that, I seem to remember an API being discussed at one point, that could be used to create an app that would work with VCDS to have this type of functionality. Or even just a simple thing, like automatically doing full maps of all modules, without having to do them all manually.

If Ross-Tech is looking for some testers for features like this, I would be happy to do this.

Thanks

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Yes, there has been thought as to implementing an API but at this point we do not have a publicly available version of it. As far as creating maps goes, you can already do that by setting Debug Level = 2 prior to running an Auto-Scan.

Last edited:

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Does that give the same result (useful information-wise) as doing admaps of every individual module, or does a separate admap yield more information? How about blockmaps?

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Same functionality, same results. Works for both ADP and MVB. Note: Newer modules may require a HEX-NET or HEX-V2 in order to do all/proper mapping, a HEX+CAN or Micro-CAN may not be enough.

Reactions: Uwe

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
Has there been any thought to add functionality, similar to what ODBEleven is doing, and have an "app", or more accurately, a macro that you could create, that would change a bunch of values at once, for a certain type of functionality?

Barring that, I seem to remember an API being discussed at one point, that could be used to create an app that would work with VCDS to have this type of functionality. Or even just a simple thing, like automatically doing full maps of all modules, without having to do them all manually.

If Ross-Tech is looking for some testers for features like this, I would be happy to do this.

Thanks

As there is no public API available, I do such stuff via GUI automation techniques. Example: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...ature-requests&p=117243&viewfull=1#post117243 (I really use that very often - but only for UDS modules)
I already thought of an own scripting language via GUI automation like

Code:
OpenUnit(10)
ChangeCoding([byte]3, [bit]7, 1)
DeleteDTCs()

...but then I was like "Who needs this".... :D
And a big challange is transaction security when you just act as a mouse cursor or a keyboard shortcut.

Does that give the same result (useful information-wise) as doing admaps of every individual module, or does a separate admap yield more information? How about blockmaps?

I think the debugLevel = 2 thing does not offer to enter a security login for each module as you can do when you do it individually.

Last edited:

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
you can already do that by setting Debug Level = 2 prior to running an Auto-Scan.

This doesn't really work at all. I get some random blockmaps for a few modules in my Octavia 5E MJ 2017, but that's it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This doesn't really work at all. I get some random blockmaps for a few modules in my Octavia 5E MJ 2017, but that's it.
I think this will only make maps for modules where no label file is found. Try renaming your Labels folder to something else temporarily before you do it.

-Uwe-

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
^ I like to have a "labels-empty" folder with still the labelver.txt in it for such cases, and do a rename between that and the real folder. VCDS may do weird things when it doesn't have that file.

Reactions: Uwe

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
It would be handy to be able to expand an autoscan to also make admaps/blockmaps (checkbox in the autoscan screen) instead of hiding it away in debug mode. I’m thinking adaptation-only bcm’s, MIB units, etc. The autoscan no longer covers all relevant data, would be nice to see it expanded?

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
It would be handy to be able to expand an autoscan to also make admaps/blockmaps (checkbox in the autoscan screen) instead of hiding it away in debug mode. I’m thinking adaptation-only bcm’s, MIB units, etc. The autoscan no longer covers all relevant data, would be nice to see it expanded?

Then you have to be very very patient when creating an "enhanced Auto-Scan". Adpmaps for non-UDS units takes a lot of time as every 256 channels get read...
But I agree that everything, if it is present, could be made more compact by fitting everything in a XML file or something like that, with some kind of a Viewer application.

One car, one XML. Everything in. I'm just thinking loud.

As I was bored of massive copy-paste from notepad of codings and following LCode.exe execution bla bla adpmap searching windows explorer apocalypse, I created myself a little Auto-Scan GUI that gives fast-access to LCode for the codings, and opening adpmaps if they are present in the same directory... (execution via context-menu of txt files)

2018-04-2016_41_29-vccmp8m.jpg

Something like that, integrated in VCDS. CRM. Customer database. Buzzword madness.

Cheers

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
This!

And That!

Then you have to be very very patient when creating an "enhanced Auto-Scan". Adpmaps for non-UDS units takes a lot of time as every 256 channels get read...
But I agree that everything, if it is present, could be made more compact by fitting everything in a XML file or something like that, with some kind of a Viewer application.

Yes Please!

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586

Agree, but you could add a drop-down menu with something like:

- Auto-scan only (Installation list & DTC’s) (default option when scanning non-MQB/MLB cars)
- Auto-scan + Adaptation channel maps (default option when using auto-detect or MQB/MLB cars)
- Auto-scan + Adaptation channel maps + Measuring values
- Custom scan (Which allows you to customize parameters with checkboxes for ‘Installation list’, ‘Adaptation channels’, DTC’s, ‘Measuring values’, Include/exclude advanced ID info, Check SW version vs current VAG flashfile release (Without a flasher in VCDS this would still be useful for a lot of people, see the amount of topics were jack starts with ‘FW update required’), include/exclude certain controller adresses from scan/admap/measuring values, etc.

Good idea. It wouldn’t even bother me if its dropped in the same text file as it is now, because that also guarantees compatibility everywhere.

As I was bored of massive copy-paste from notepad of codings and following LCode.exe execution bla bla adpmap searching windows explorer apocalypse, I created myself a little Auto-Scan GUI that gives fast-access to LCode for the codings, and opening adpmaps if they are present in the same directory... (execution via context-menu of txt files)

2018-04-2016_41_29-vccmp8m.jpg

Something like that, integrated in VCDS. CRM. Customer database. Buzzword madness.

Cheers

Nice!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'll just leave this here...

http://sendvid.com/zh0rm8p9
I assume you're doing that by grabbing the handles to the individual window elements?

That works until we change something in the UI, which wouldn't do that to intentionally break what you're doing, but we're not going to constrain ourselves to maintain compatibility with your stuff either. ;)

-Uwe-

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
I'm lacking rhetorical skills in the english language but I'd like to express that I take humbly everything what gets offered by this great application without expecting anything ;)

In the current state it is just a proof of concept but enriched with the right paradigms and ideas, I see a potential.

Back