HEX-NETworking /settings/questions

FandaTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=204559
Hi,
I´ve bought a HEX-NET (unlimited) and successfully registered but I am little confused how to make the best configuration of "infrastructure" mode. The first problem (than can be solved in more ways...) is a conflict of IP adresses, cause my router has also 192.168.0.1 as a home page. I can change it in the router but probably with cooperation with my internet provider and imho better solution (also when I consider connecting into/through other networks, where the 192.168.0.1 is probably most common IP for router home page) is to change IP adress (and password) of the interface manually (lets say at least for sure bigger last number, e.g.192.168.0.111) - how to?

In the manual is notice that when I succesfuly connect to my home network (when router is also a DHCP server and gives IP automatically), what I did, there will be IP adress assigned automaticaly, but in VCIconfig is still 192.168.0.1 or zeros (0.0.0.0), what am I doing wrong? I´ve tried to change settings in VCDS but this seems to be just "informative" for the VCDS (which IP to search, not to assign it to the interface).
Other thing/question is if it isn´t more practical not to connect the interface to the router(´s network) but to in the notebook created network eventhough "easier" for me is to set the router than home network in Win7 (x64) :o but if I get it right, then when I want to connect to other source of internet, I must add the connection to "home group/home network" - am I right?

From the time when authorised dealers (VW group) go online, I´ve considered as one of the biggest advantages of the concept of VCDS "not necessarily" to be connected to the internet, but on the other way I understand reasons why You make it via cloud, so I am triyng to "go with time", thus any help would be appreciated... (I´ve also noticed, that NeTECH is working on the Toolbox, e.g. to make possible to check coding,etc. without a connection to car, what is great - fortune favors the prepared :thumbs: )
Btw. are there similar restrictions of online/offline connection via Windows as it is via android? (or let ask other way - are there many cases in which is for advanced functions the cloud "necessary" even with PC? I assume the number of these cases will be "growing" - am I right?)

Thanks in advance,

Fanda

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
In infrastructure mode, the interface will be acting as a router. If you want to connect the interface to an existing network, infrastructure mode is by definition the wrong mode.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In infrastructure mode, the interface will be acting as a router. If you want to connect the interface to an existing network, infrastructure mode is by definition the wrong mode.
No, that's not how it works.

In AP mode the HEX-NET is always at 192.168.0.1, and it acts as the Access Point. Other devices (such as a phone, tablet, or computer) can connect to it, but there's no possibility of internet access on such a network.

In Infrastructure mode, the HEX-NET connects to an existing access point (such as a WiFi router or your phone's hotspot) and requests an IP address from that access point using DHCP.

Infrastructure Mode is what you want when you're connecting to an existing network. Access point is what you want when there is no existing network to talk to.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In the manual is notice that when I succesfuly connect to my home network (when router is also a DHCP server and gives IP automatically), what I did, there will be IP adress assigned automaticaly, but in VCIconfig is still 192.168.0.1 or zeros (0.0.0.0), what am I doing wrong? I´ve tried to change settings in VCDS but this seems to be just "informative" for the VCDS (which IP to search, not to assign it to the interface).
You do not use VCDS to set up your HEX-NET's Wifi. You use the VCIConfig program (accessible via the [Config] button on the VCDS Options screen). Connect your HEX-NET to the computer via USB to do this.

The IP parameters in VCDS are there for instances where a network won't allow VCDS to find the interface using broadcasts, or in a case where there are multiple HEX-NETs on a single network and you always wish to use the same one.

Btw. are there similar restrictions of online/offline connection via Windows as it is via android? (or let ask other way - are there many cases in which is for advanced functions the cloud "necessary" even with PC? I assume the number of these cases will be "growing" - am I right?)
If you are using VCDS on a PC (as opposed to VCDS-Mobile in a browser) then no internet connection is required.

-Uwe-

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
No, that's not how it works.

In AP mode the HEX-NET is always at 192.168.0.1, and it acts as the Access Point. Other devices (such as a phone, tablet, or computer) can connect to it, but there's no possibility of internet access on such a network.

In Infrastructure mode, the HEX-NET connects to an existing access point (such as a WiFi router or your phone's hotspot) and requests an IP address from that access point using DHCP.

Infrastructure Mode is what you want when you're connecting to an existing network. Access point is what you want when there is no existing network to talk to.

-Uwe-

Thought that was called client mode, my bad!

FandaTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=204559
Ok, thanks for answers, I will do a "deeper exploration" of VCIconfig and try to change an IP and password.
But when I am thinking about this, wouldn´t be better (when you are mentioning more interfaces at the same place...) connecting inteface in AP mode also with other (maybe not same as in "infrastructure"...) than the common 192.168.0.1?

edit: And when I read "red 2nd diode blinking (alternatively with green 3rd - normal) "waiting for the IP", can it even be set permanently? And/or can the default adress be the problem of assiging automatically by DHCP? What I´ve understood, the best solution is to get unlimited mobile data and make it through mobile hotspot :p

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
But when I am thinking about this, wouldn´t be better (when you are mentioning more interfaces at the same place...) connecting inteface in AP mode also with other (maybe not same as in "infrastructure"...) than the common 192.168.0.1?
When the HEX-NET is in AP mode, other devices connect to it, and other devices get their IP from it using DHCP, so I don't see how it would be advantageous to use a "less common" IP address in that mode.

-Uwe-

FandaTDI

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=204559
Ok, so far I´ve tried it by cable on brand new Octavia 3 RS (will send you an autoscan and adpmaps of BCM...) just by cable (I may could later compare also wifi times...) and I must admit that HEX-NET is pretty faster. Autoscan of above 20 units with HEX-CAN 5:13 and with HEX-NET via USB 1:45. :)

Back