Audi 2.0 fsi interchangable ecu's?

Sparkz

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ive got an 2006 audi a3 2.0 fsi the ecu is blown and i battled to find one. Eventually i found one from the same audi same engine same year but the ecu numbers are different.
My ecu number is 06F 906 056 DC, The ecu i can get is 06F 906 056 CJ

Will that ecu work as a replacement?

Thank you

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What's your Engine Code? Look on the PR-Codes sticker.

I think 06F-906-056-DC is for a BMB engine, while 06F-906-056-CJ is for a BLY.

-Uwe-

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Being from South Africa, you will most likely be EU2 Emmissions, with no EGR, lower compression and no stratified mode, no NOX storage etc (all good things!)

Checked: If Uwe is correct, and your engine is BMB, it IS EU2 emmisions. The BLY is also EU2, so that's a good start for you. Both codes appear to have map-controlled cooling, so no issues there. I'm not sure what the exact differences are, but it *could* be worth a try.

Do both cars have the same transmission type, also?

The issue you will have, is that they will (almost gauranteed) have Immo4C, and you are going to need some very expensive software tools to make it work, unless you change all the components realted to the immobiliser, and change the electronic identity of the car to the donor car. Or remove the imobiliser, but that's takes some work too.

Are you sure the ECU is dead, and will plugging in the new one be safe - Something that killed the first one, might kill the second one.

Sparkz

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. My engine code is BMB as for the donor audi i havent yet check but i will tomorrow

Both cars are manual transmission ; basically the same car but the ecu different.

I am able to code the ecu but i need to be sure it will work as the breaker does not accept returns

the injection system had a short but that was repaired now its an ecu problem

Sparkz

Reaction score
Ive spoken to another audi tech here in cpt and told me it wont work its different ecu's is this true? i mean its both the same vehicles and its even a 3 door lol.
The car had a short on the loom by the ecu it was pinching on the corner of the ecu cover its fixed now. I send the ecu away for testing and they told me its blown so i found another audi a3 2.0 fsi and the ecu price is cheaper than a repaired ecu. So before i go ahead and by it i need conformation that it will work so i can get it code it to the car.

My car : 2006 Audi A3 2.0 fsi BMB (standard)
The donor car : 2006 A3 2.0 fsi BLY ( standard)

My Car ecu : 06F 906 056 DC MED9.5.10
Breakers car ecu : 06F 906 056 CJ MED9.5.10

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ive spoken to another audi tech here in cpt and told me it wont work its different ecu's is this true? i mean its both the same vehicles and its even a 3 door lol.
"Same vehicle" with different engine codes. Audi wouldn't use a different engine code unless those engines were different somehow.

-Uwe-

Sparkz

Reaction score
"Same vehicle" with different engine codes. Audi wouldn't use a different engine code unless those engines were different somehow.

-Uwe-

Very true. So the ecu wont work?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Very true. So the ecu wont work?
I can't say with certainty, but I'd expect this to diminish the prospects rather severely.

-Uwe-

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
Simply, it's NOT the same, but the differences could be very minor or could be enough to cause damage to something.

The limited data I have from snooping into VW engines, says both BMB and BLY are EU2 emmisions, have map-controlled cooling, no EGR, 10.5:1 compression , no NOX storage, no Secondary Air, have VVT, and are manual trans (as you say). The BMB finished on the same date that the BLY took over.

It *MAY* be as little as a different software version, or it could be a different number of lambda probes - they DO use different exhaust manifolds - I suspect this as a difference, check the donor for the number of probes. I KNOW the BLY has 2 lamba probes (pre cat, post cat, and has a 4into1 manifold and cat, with a single "downpipe"), I STRONGLY suspect the BMB used 2x 2into1 manifolds, 2 cats and 4 lambda probes (and possibly another further down, after the 2 pipes join, but prolly not), with 2 downpies that join under the car. If this is so, you can also swap the exhaust and lambdas with the additiona wiring or swap that part of the loom.

It could be the SAME physical engine, but with slight other wiring differences too.

You can download the wiring diagrams with an ErWin account, and check for differences.

There will ALWAYS be a risk involved, but if it were me, I'd do it anyway, aftyer checking the exhaust and wiring... but I'd work out how to fix what I screwed up too, if that happened - so obviously the risk is all yours :-)

Worst case is you smoke something, but your best case right now is a car that doesn't go at all.

Good luck :thumbs:

Back