Remote key not pairing with 2002 VW polo 9n

zam9000

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
Unregistered VCDS-Lite
Hey everyone!

I have got a 2002 VW polo (9n) which only came with the Valet key. The central locking works but the little red light on the drivers door security button does not light up. I have bought a remote key (original part) and followed the procedure for pairing it however it does not pair. The little LED on the key lights up when the buttons is pressed so I assume it is sending out a signal.

The central locking works fine for the boot, petrol tank filler and both doors when operated manually with the key so I assumed the central control unit for convenience system is working fine. Could it be that one of the previous owners has disabled alarm/remote key function in the ecu? (is such a thing even possible?)

What do you guys think?

PS; this is the procedure I followed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Co22N70Gw

zam9000

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
Unregistered VCDS-Lite
Hey Thanks your reply, I cant post a scan yet because I dont have a laptop to put the VCDS lite software on! I am sorting that out in the next couple of weeks and purchasing the option, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? I have really wanted the remote part working at least. It's not really a huge problem I guess, it can wait a couple of weeks as I'll have to use the laptop to program the immobilizer anyway...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
With a 2002 Polo, it's by no means certain that the central locking / central convenience module supports remotes at all. I'm confident remote central locking was not standard equipment.

Unfortunately, without scan, we have no idea how this car is equipped.

-Uwe-

zam9000

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
Unregistered VCDS-Lite
With a 2002 Polo, it's by no means certain that the central locking / central convenience module supports remotes at all. I'm confident remote central locking was not standard equipment.

Unfortunately, without scan, we have no idea how this car is equipped.

-Uwe-

Thats a great point, didnt think of that!

I will check the comfort unit product code today (which is already installed in the car) and compare it with the item which is enabled for remote entry, if its not enabled and its cheap I could just buy and swap out the part (I guess it will need coding to fit into my (9N specifically). Will repost when I have got the laptop and software scan ready as well.

I have another question if you have time! I was checking out the adaption/coding page for the 9n on the Ross Tech wiki but it seemed to lack some information about adapting it, if I buy the software will you guys be able to help me with it, or is the adaption for this component a mystery?? :O

Thank you so much!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have another question if you have time! I was checking out the adaption/coding page for the 9n on the Ross Tech wiki but it seemed to lack some information about adapting it, if I buy the software will you guys be able to help me with it, or is the adaption for this component a mystery?? :O
Personally, I'm not terribly familiar with Polos because they were never sold on this side of the pond. So I'm not in a position to know what I can and can't tell you about the systems in this car until I see a scan, sorry.

-Uwe-

GXCars

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=248011
The base spec polo's do not come with remote locking as standard, its only the SE models and above that have it, my son has a 1.4tdi S and that had no remote locking. I got a second hand CCM from ebay and then recoded it and then added the remote. It's a fairly easy job the unit is up above the brake pedal and just unclips and then unplugs. The units from the fabia also fit just check the part number to make sure it supports locking

HTH

zam9000

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
Unregistered VCDS-Lite
I done exactly that, luckily it had the same coding so I did not even have to recode it. Picked it up for £21, bargain!

Back