Transmission adaptation reset using VCDS 18.2

MDube8829

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=318384
I am considering to reset the Transmission Adaptation values on my A4 2016 8 speed Tiptronic, to try and enhance the shifting characteristics of the transmission.
However I can't find any reference that describe each option in the drop-down list found in the transmission basic settings (02 - Auto Trans -> Basic Settings 04) in VCDS 18.2

There are actually 3 selections that seems to apply, but I don't know which one(s) to choose, or maybe I need to do all 3 of them?
"IDE00498 - Resetting of all adaptation values"
"IDE00794 - Erasing of system-specific adaptation values"
"IDE02325 - Reset to factory settings"

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Personally, I would not be the first to try that.

What's wrong with it, and/or what are you trying to "enhance"?

How many miles on the car?

-Uwe-

MDube8829

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=318384
Hi Uwe and thanks for your reply!

My A4 has 63000 km (approx 39000 mi.) and the transmission shifting characteristics aren’t optimal: for example accelerating from standstill, there’ a ´bump’ when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear.
Also very often after turning around a corner, the transmission doesn’t respond well when accelerating (the engine revs high and tranny not upshifting quickly)

Are the basic settings options in the drop-down list documented somewhere?...
I prefer to know what each selection does (short description) rather than just assuming based on its name...

Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm afraid I don't have anything documenting what those things really do, which I why I recommend against being the first to try then willy-nilly.

If it was my car, I might be willing to try those -- in my dealer's parking lot. But they know what we do for a living, and I'd still expect to be charged if they need to fix something as a result of such experiments.

Now I don' claim to know everything, so if someone else knows something I don't, please chime in.

-Uwe-

PS: Since there's no indication here that VCDS isn't working the way it should, I'm moving this to Car Repair Support.

MDube8829

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=318384
Since Ross-Tech builds the VCDS software, I thought someone would know what these options actually do...or maybe I just don’t understand how these options end up in the drop-down list..!

Cheers

Thanks Uwe!...

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
From what I understand in this case these options are presented by the control unit. VCDS merely offers more details about those options; if available.

MDube8829

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=318384
From what I understand in this case these options are presented by the control unit. VCDS merely offers more details about those options; if available.
That would make sense...I’ll do more research to see if I can find someone that has used some of these options.
Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Right. We know these options exist in the control module, and we make it possible to use/exercise them. That does not necessarily mean we have detailed information about about their exact function.

-Uwe-

MDube8829

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=318384
Understood...it makes sense!

Caven

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Curious MDude8829, did you try any of the Basic Settings?

MDube8829

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=318384
Curious MDude8829, did you try any of the Basic Settings?

Actually no, I haven't.
I tried finding some information about these options but wasn't successful doing so.... and I didn't want to risk causing more issues than what I have at the moment (which are relatively minor issues).

If you do try any of these basic options, please let me know of the outcome.

Thanks

Back