RCD330 swap

jgeraldini

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=154599
Hello all

I have a 2013 VW CC and recently I swapped the RNS315 head unit with RCD330G+. It was pretty straight forward, nice unit. Works nice too.

Some features are lost, which I didn't care much about them in anyway. Just one that bothers me - the lack of bearing on the MFD cluster.

Does anybody know if it is possible have the bearing back by adding a compass control module from a CC or Passat (or any other VW)?

Thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Not sure. But there were enough people who disabled their dedicated compass modules back in the RNS510 retrofit days that such a module shouldn't cost much to try.

-Uwe-

PS: Moving to Retrofits.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
RCD330G does not have navigation like RNS315 has. So no way to get the heading back as it's coming from the navi unit. Get RNS510 or one of the newer MIB2 navigation units. 330G is stripped down radio system meant for PQ25 platform cars like Polo, Ibiza etc. even though it has Carplay and now even AA support.

jgeraldini

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=154599
You’re right about that.
Having CarPlay on it, I can use my phones GPS with updated maps. And works great.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
But it certainly doesn't have GPS!
No Nav, so not an RNS.
No CD player, so it really shouldn't be called an RCD either.
How about just R? ;)

Having CarPlay on it, I can use my phones GPS with updated maps. And works great.
Yeah, nav systems that are integrated into cars (where you either have to pay for updated map info, or you have to pay for a separate data connection for the car) strike me as obsolete.

We have a number of cars with integrated nav systems. I no longer use those systems. Google Maps/Nav running on my phone is much better than any of then in several ways. It's always up-to-date. It provides a realistic ETA. It knows about traffic and will suggest alternate routes based on delays.

-Uwe-

jgeraldini

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=154599
Yep... I checked the price to update my super-obsolete RNS315 maps from 2013 and it was $125 for who knows what it is in there. The database was from 2016 when I checked last time, in October. Then you have to keep paying that useless map if you want to be updated.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
No Nav, so not an RNS.
No CD player, so it really shouldn't be called an RCD either.
How about just R? ;)
That would require logical naming by VAG :facepalm:

Reactions: Uwe

jgeraldini

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=154599
ok, back to the original question - does anybody know if it is possible to retrofit a compass control module in order to have back the bearing on my MFD?
Thanks

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I don't see why not. But seems to be a bit fiddly as the compass module is mounted to trunk lid in factory installations. It means pulling the wiring all the way from the trunk to the front.

Personally I would not bother.

jgeraldini

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=154599
I think it is possible too. Pulling wires don’t bother me, I just need to know where to hook it up. There are several of these modules available, but none has harness.

Back