Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk 4 Jetta Communication down!!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Mk 4 Jetta Communication down!!

Hey all,

I am having a ridiculous amount of trouble attempting to get diagnostic communication on this jetta. its an 08-2000 build date, 1.8t with manual trans and power windows and locks. what I have is 11.9v B+ and 10.79v on the k line when grounded using the dlc ground. I have attempted pulling modules off the k line one by one with no success. the vehicle came in having had someone else diagnose it as a bad ECM. the vehicle cranks and starts briefly then sputters similar to an immobilizer issue and the odd thing, there is no key flashing icon while this happens.

I'm using a hex-net with current vcds software and I cant get any module to register, the interface works effectively on other vehicles. any direction would be appreciated.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a bad gateway or unpowered cluster which contains the gateway for blown fuse maybe?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wait, how can you have "10.79v on the k line when grounded using the dlc ground"? That makes no sense. Which pin are you using for DLC ground?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait, how can you have "10.79v on the k line when grounded using the dlc ground"? That makes no sense. Which pin are you using for DLC ground?

-Uwe-
    This is a perfect example of an asshole ground because he has no real ground or power and the meter lies by stray voltage.

With a fuse blown, a corrosion bridge, water ingress or a bad gateway/any module, he can have that stray voltage.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm probing pin 7 (what I believe to be k line) to pin 4/5 (which I believe to be grounds for the dlc connection) and it is the same value while I ground to body. also, I didn't think this vehicle new enough to have a gateway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Danaher View Post
    I'm probing pin 7 (what I believe to be k line) to pin 4/5 (which I believe to be grounds for the dlc connection) and it is the same value while I ground to body. also, I didn't think this vehicle new enough to have a gateway.
    Pin 4 is ground on all VAG cars. Pin 5 is sometimes, but not on all of them.

I think the way you worded things has everyone confused. I'm thinking you have the ground lead of the meter on one of those pins, but you never actually grounded the K-Line?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    got that, to rephrase. pin 7 whether it be grounded to the body or pin 4, is reading 10.79v.

Post Thanks / Like
    got that, to rephrase. pin 7 whether it be grounded to the body or pin 4, is reading 10.79v.
    Then it's not being grounded - because a wire connected to ground cannot be at 10.79V, the maximum it can be is a few fractions of a volt.

9. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What is grounded? The ground side of the meter? Or Pin 7?

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Then it's not being grounded - because a wire connected to ground cannot be at 10.79V, the maximum it can be is a few fractions of a volt.
    Well it can, if the supposed ground is no good.

-Uwe-

12. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post