Hex-Net logging issues

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
So I set up my Hex-Net to log transmission temperature and started a gps track recording at the same time and drove over a mountain pass. Transmission temp is pathological obsession of us Eurovan owners. Then I wrote some code to merge those logs into a kml file for Google Earth. That's done, but there were some issues. My complete log is here https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/VegasLog.csv If you have Google Earth installed on a computer, the kml file I created is here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/atflog.kmz . Anyway, these are the issues:
  1. values are separated by spaces, not commas
    Each entry looks like:
    Code:
    ,1743.63,070 009 005 057 003 080 093 104 112 120,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    There are ten values separated by spaces. What's up with that?
  2. temperature values seem implausibly low
    I assume the first value in the group of ten is the ATF temp in degrees C. My code converts to F for the kml file. The entry I show above is the highest value in the log. Consensus in the Eurovan Owners Unite! facebook group is that this seems too low to be valid. Are you guys sure you're reading the right sensor? Everybody seems to agree that this scangauge setting is right. I'll be doing some tests later comparing hex-net to my old scangauge.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hmm, something is not quite right there. We have access to a fairly similar one and will take a look.

-Uwe-

PS: Moving to HEX-NET support.

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
When VCDS Mobile says 35C (assuming the first of the 10 values is the one we want)(which is equivalent to 95F) my scangauge II says 181F.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, had a quick look. These TCUs uses a method of reading measuring values that was supposed to have been deprecated in the early 1990s, and isn't currently supported correctly by VCDS-Mobile. The values in your logs are "raw data", not degrees C.

If you want to look at and log transmission fluid temperature on this vehicle with VCDS-Mobile, you'll have to use Generic OBD-II. Select Engine Coolant Temperature. You'll get two values. The first is indeed Engine Coolant Temp, while the second is Transmission Fluid Temp.

OsHFb8Y.png

-Uwe-

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
I tried logging from that page today. All I got was a log full of time stamps. No data. https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5.csv In the log I have now, are those octal representations of raw bytes? If I shelled out the money to buy the ISO spec would I get the information I need to code a formula to process the raw data in the log I already have?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I tried logging from that page today. All I got was a log full of time stamps. No data. https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5.csv
I guess we'll have to look again as to why it's not logging that. In principle, it should.

In the log I have now, are those octal representations of raw bytes? If I shelled out the money to buy the ISO spec would I get the information I need to code a formula to process the raw data in the log I already have?
No, that data is all in a proprietary format used by VW, and you're not going to find it in any ISO docs. It was a bloody nightmare to figure out way back when (2001, I think) and I haven't looked at how it works in well over a decade, so it isn't exactly fresh in my mind. Let me see what I can find...

-Uwe-

Last edited:

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
I tried logging again yesterday. This time there were three temperatures displayed on that page, one with no label at all:
Screenshot_20180315-150838.png

The log that was created had one temperature in it https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5(3).csv which looks to be the engine coolant. In the meantime I think I've gone as far with my kml conversion code as I can. I grabbed a little 3d model of a Eurovan so now if you zoom in in Google Earth, you see a van instead of a pushpin. Of course, all the temps in this screenshot are wrong for the transmission fluid (but right for something?):
bogusTFT.png

NEtech

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56995
I guess one 55 °C, is from Engine, and the other 55 °C is from Aut.gearbox.

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
I thought I would load up the Beta today and try logging again to see if any progress had been made. By the time I got to the grocery store, there were four temps showing on my phone. In the log, there is only one temp, still, which is clearly just the engine coolant. https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5(4).csv

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
I got pretty excited when I saw 'Fix for data logging' in the release notes. Now that I have done some testing, my excitement has waned.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I got pretty excited when I saw 'Fix for data logging' in the release notes. Now that I have done some testing, my excitement has waned.
If you can give more details about what still doesn't function as expected it would help...

Reactions: Uwe

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
If you can give more details about what still doesn't function as expected it would help...

All the details I have previously given still apply. I see no change at all. It is still impossible to obtain a log of my transmission temperature. The log contains only one value, which is evidently the coolant temperature, just like before. Here's a link to the log I generated in testing a few days ago https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5(7).csv

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Something that's been described as:
deprecated [...] and isn't currently supported correctly by VCDS-Mobile.
is not going to get addressed in a "fix". If this is ever implemented in VCDS-Mobile, it would be described as an "enhancement" or something like that.

FWIW, VCDS running on a PC will get you those values.

-Uwe-

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
Something that's been described as:

is not going to get addressed in a "fix". If this is ever implemented in VCDS-Mobile, it would be described as an "enhancement" or something like that.

FWIW, VCDS running on a PC will get you those values.

-Uwe-

Then you should put a "NO" in the 'Data Logging' row for the VCDS-Mobile column on this page: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Just so we're all on the same page, I think westerner is talking about missing the TCM temp in OBD2 mode. That should be fixable.

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
Actually, I think the TCM temp is well in hand. As NETech points out in comment #8, one of the temps shown is from the transmission. I'm sure he's correct. One of the temps seen in the screenshot in comment #7 is the temp we want. But only ONE temp ever makes it into the log file. I don't care if it never shows on the VCDSMobile screen, I just want it in the log file on the HEX-NET side so I can later post-process it.

Here's a screen recording I made just now on a trip to the store: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/vcdsMobile.mp4 Here is the log file corresponding to this recording: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5(8).csv I sped up the video in the interest in brevity. I also truncated some of the end of the video, so the log file covers a longer period of real clock time than the video.

None of the problems a developer would face in fixing this have anything to do with the 9141 protocol. It's just all wackiness in your own code. Note in the video, by the time it ends there are 5 temperatures displayed. The car only has two controllers. Maybe the others are from the blinker fluid controller and the muffler bearing controller and something else. But only one stinking temperature is ever committed to the log. The 9141 protocol has nothing to do with these discrepancies.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No, I mean transmission fluid temperature directly from the transmission, not via generic OBD-II.

-Uwe-

westerner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6138
vcds2.PNG

Back