Thread: Hex-Net logging issues

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Hex-Net logging issues

So I set up my Hex-Net to log transmission temperature and started a gps track recording at the same time and drove over a mountain pass. Transmission temp is pathological obsession of us Eurovan owners. Then I wrote some code to merge those logs into a kml file for Google Earth. That's done, but there were some issues. My complete log is here https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/VegasLog.csv If you have Google Earth installed on a computer, the kml file I created is here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/atflog.kmz . Anyway, these are the issues:
    1. values are separated by spaces, not commas
      Each entry looks like:
      Code:
      ,1743.63,070 009 005 057 003 080 093 104 112 120,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
      There are ten values separated by spaces. What's up with that?
    2. temperature values seem implausibly low
      I assume the first value in the group of ten is the ATF temp in degrees C. My code converts to F for the kml file. The entry I show above is the highest value in the log. Consensus in the Eurovan Owners Unite! facebook group is that this seems too low to be valid. Are you guys sure you're reading the right sensor? Everybody seems to agree that this scangauge setting is right. I'll be doing some tests later comparing hex-net to my old scangauge.

2. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, something is not quite right there. We have access to a fairly similar one and will take a look.

-Uwe-

PS: Moving to HEX-NET support.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    When VCDS Mobile says 35C (assuming the first of the 10 values is the one we want)(which is equivalent to 95F) my scangauge II says 181F.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK, had a quick look. These TCUs uses a method of reading measuring values that was supposed to have been deprecated in the early 1990s, and isn't currently supported correctly by VCDS-Mobile. The values in your logs are "raw data", not degrees C.

If you want to look at and log transmission fluid temperature on this vehicle with VCDS-Mobile, you'll have to use Generic OBD-II. Select Engine Coolant Temperature. You'll get two values. The first is indeed Engine Coolant Temp, while the second is Transmission Fluid Temp.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried logging from that page today. All I got was a log full of time stamps. No data. https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5.csv In the log I have now, are those octal representations of raw bytes? If I shelled out the money to buy the ISO spec would I get the information I need to code a formula to process the raw data in the log I already have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by westerner View Post
    I tried logging from that page today. All I got was a log full of time stamps. No data. https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5.csv
    I guess we'll have to look again as to why it's not logging that. In principle, it should.

Quote Originally Posted by westerner View Post
    In the log I have now, are those octal representations of raw bytes? If I shelled out the money to buy the ISO spec would I get the information I need to code a formula to process the raw data in the log I already have?
    No, that data is all in a proprietary format used by VW, and you're not going to find it in any ISO docs. It was a bloody nightmare to figure out way back when (2001, I think) and I haven't looked at how it works in well over a decade, so it isn't exactly fresh in my mind. Let me see what I can find...

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 03-12-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried logging again yesterday. This time there were three temperatures displayed on that page, one with no label at all:

The log that was created had one temperature in it https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5(3).csv which looks to be the engine coolant. In the meantime I think I've gone as far with my kml conversion code as I can. I grabbed a little 3d model of a Eurovan so now if you zoom in in Google Earth, you see a van instead of a pushpin. Of course, all the temps in this screenshot are wrong for the transmission fluid (but right for something?):

9. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    VCDS Distributor
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess one 55 C, is from Engine, and the other 55 C is from Aut.gearbox.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would load up the Beta today and try logging again to see if any progress had been made. By the time I got to the grocery store, there were four temps showing on my phone. In the log, there is only one temp, still, which is clearly just the engine coolant. https://s3.amazonaws.com/docbucketjmb/LOG-5(4).csv