Value for a novice?

Numpty45

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a general query regarding the effectiveness of the software for someone who is considered a layman/novice.

I know the software is great for providing diagnosis information and measuring blocks, but ultimately if you have no clue what the right and wrong figures are meant to be they are not going to be of much use.

The reason I have this query is that I am looking to mend a VW Golf mk4 which is having engine issues but I am a bit sceptical of buying the software when I'm not entirely confident I will know how to interpret the data once I have it in front of me.

Has anyone had similar reservations and overcome this obstacle?

Thanks,

MJRVR

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC727478 (NRRT)
If you are looking to mend it yourself without this tool it's not going to be easy.
It will be worth every cent and you won't regret it.

Reactions: Uwe

grant@gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
There are loads of support resources available online for VCDS users.
Once you have a VCDS scan from the car showing your fault codes, you can ask for help on Ross-Tech's forum or on other forums such as:
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
I would say the most important thing to have before vcds, would be the manuals for the vehicle(s) in question.

As you say, without knowing what the information provided by vcds means, it is of little use.

VCDS displays info and allows you to make various changes that are allowed/controlled by the modules themselves. If a functionality or setting is not in the module, then VCDS isn't going to magically make it work for you. It also only reports errors that the modules report. It can clear those errors, but if the root problem(s) are not correct, they will simply come back immediately or over time.

VCDS does provide some hints and helpful info within the app (pop up infos etc) and the wiki, however neither is a replacement for official documentation.

in other words, see @ https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

Back