The roar of the March Lion

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
As they used to say about IBM, nobody has ever been fired for buying Davis. You won't see one at my house, unless the mother of all deals pops up on eBay for a used one.

I may have to put my foot in my mouth. My Acu-Rite 5-in-1 appears to have failed after the nor'easter ended, :cry: and I just scored a pretty good deal on someone's cast-off Davis equipment.

As I warned, weather sensors are like scan tools...they multiply like rabbits in my yard..... :D

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I've been tinkering with UV/solar sensors for over a year now, and seem to recall even posting an internal picture of one of my DIY projects last spring. When I was looking at today's weewx daily summary for the test sensors du jour, I was absolutely floored by the shape of these graphs:

20180311230204-c84cb0d0.png

A normal day looks like the left edge on this graph...all ragged:

20180311203235-a8e493a2.png

The only way that you will see nicer curves is with the help of a plastic surgeon..... :D

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I did manage to get the Acu-Rite station running again before the latest nor'easter, albeit with yet another randomly-changed sensor address that's supposed to be statically coded in the hardware. Anyone want to bet on how long it will keep running this time before it either stops transmitting or flips addresses again? :facepalm:

The first piece of the Davis VP2 system that I'm piecing together from cast-off parts came in today, and I temporarily mounted it outside at eye level tonight on one of the weather station masts just to watch the wind cups spin and wind vane move around. The rain/temp/humidity parts should be here tomorrow, and the indoor receiver shipped from Florida today via snail mail. Guess I'll have a reason to build another Raspberry Pi weather server this weekend.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The Raspberry Pi Foundation gave everyone a gift for Pi Day (3/14) yesterday. They announced a new model, the Pi 3 B+, with 802.11ac dual-band wifi, PoE, and the ability to PXE and USB boot in the ROM. I have two in transit, since I was about to order a Pi 3 to run the new Davis station.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The last pieces of the Davis weather station puzzle arrived yesterday. I temporarily spun up another weewx instance for testing last night, and put the sensor array out on the deck railing. I now have three different weather station brands logging temperature, and all three were tracking within 0.06 C before sunrise this morning! I don't anticipate them to track as closely once the sun hits them, since one (Acu-Rite) has a solar-powered aspirator fan to keep it from heating up due to solar radiation, the second one has no shielding and is located on the north wall of our detached garage, and the Davis thermometer is in a passive (no fan) shield with the airflow limited because it is partially sitting on the deck railing. I'm hoping that I can find the energy to semi-permanently mount the anemometer on a 20-foot mast, so that I can log some side-by-side data while the Acu-Rite is still working.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
It appears from the latest model runs that nor'easter #4 is going to be weaker than the other recent ones, and keep to the south of New Yorkistan. Great news for us, but bad news for RTHQ down in SE Pennsylvania.

I moved the new Davis anemometer up to the top of one of my 20-foot weather station masts:

20180318170941-07a20850.jpg

Let's see how it reads against the Acu-Rite and other sensor.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
^^^^^ Can't "like" that, both because of the foreign measurement system :D and also the forecast..... ^^^^^

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Hey, what do you want from me? I fixed both of the things you objected to!
tyFGzUy.gif

Even more funny is how the temperature numbers didn't change much with the change of units. :D

Overnight model runs were moving this storm closer to the shore and a bit further north. We may see 5-10 cm here in New Yorkistan.....

Reactions: Uwe

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
:facepalm:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service New York NY
352 PM EDT Mon Mar 19 2018

NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-176-178-200400-

352 PM EDT Mon Mar 19 2018

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow possible. Total wet snow accumulations of
5 to 11 inches, with locally higher amounts possible.

* WHERE...New York City, the Lower Hudson Valley and northeast New
Jersey.

* WHEN...From Tuesday evening through Wednesday evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on difficult travel conditions,
including during the evening commute on Wednesday. Significant
reductions in visibility are possible.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant
snow, sleet or ice accumulations that m

Back