Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) 010 - Open or Short

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems to me OP that you are not testing the harness correctly or have addressed the black tape FOD enough?

You need to verify the wiring can carry current and not just voltage to components.

Disconnect all sensors & module and tone plus load test each track.......I mean authenticate every one of them.

Fix all or replace the harness & needed parts as per the RTFB.

Only install parts that belong with the proper part number & index, further based on VIN number and PR codes.

Don't fuck around with this safety stuff!

NostraJackASS Has set you to Ignore a second time going forward & for doing stupid nefarious cheapo shit that could or does hurt others!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe, I understand your position ... and I would LOVE to be able to buy new airbag components ... but the dealer wants $585 for a new control module! I simply cannot afford that ... I'm retired on SSI and that's almost half my monthly paycheck!

Guys, it's not like I'm being "cheap" to save the money ... so I can go to the Bahama's!

I didn't screw this car up ... but I am really trying my best to get a properly working airbag system, with no faults on this car ... but my funds are limited.

I agree Jack, I believe the faults are probably in the wiring itself ... and after finding the taped-up wires under the driver's seat ... I need to check the ENTIRE airbag wiring harness for other "modifications".

Then I can go from there.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Figured out the electrical tape under the driver's seat ... must have been done by the dealer. Under the tape there were butt-connectors installed to apparently replace a bad electrical connector under TSB 6908-02. Although the electrical tape looked suspect ... the butt-connector replacement job looked well done.

I even checked wire colors at Pull-a-Part on another Jetta ... to make sure they connected the correct colors ... they did.

Here's a post on the TDIClub Forum for Mk5 Jettas ...

Fixed my airbag light on Saturday night...performed the procedures in TSB 6908-02. Fairly simple to follow, just involves eliminating a plug and connecting the wires through butt connectors, or in my case we soldered the wires together. Took about 45 minutes to remove seat and perform the fix. Code 199 is the drivers side, 200 is the passenger side as outlined in the TSB.
    So ... that's not my problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you think you should fix your process and learn to test tracks as aforementioned using the WD with a DVOM properly, all components isolated and with ability to carry needed currents?

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...(final-version)
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, I really haven't had time to get into this in depth yet ... I just briefly visually scanned last week for areas under the seats and under the dash where the wiring had been obviously tampered with. That's when I found the taped wiring under the driver's seat, and the cut wires at the Airbag Module plug.

By the way, I had watched those videos before and downloaded the PDF when I first got my Bentley Manual ...

I also noticed that my Bentley for Volkswagen Jetta A5 is missing a few pages for the "Jetta BGQ 2.5L Engine Management - From May 2005". Starting on Page EWD - 40, the pages for Fuel Injectors, Throttle / Accelerator Pedal, Coils, Fuel Pump / Relays / Gauge, Upstream O2 Sensor, and other things ... is missing ... but then you probably already knew that.

I had to use the diagrams for the BGP 2.5L engine.

I've been trying to get the "Passetta" ready to go to the dealership for the 12-year-rust-through warranty work ... I'm getting close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, I really haven't had time to get into this in depth yet ... I just briefly visually scanned last week for areas under the seats and under the dash where the wiring had been obviously tampered with. That's when I found the taped wiring under the driver's seat, and the cut wires at the Airbag Module plug.

By the way, I had watched those videos before and downloaded the PDF when I first got my Bentley Manual ...

I also noticed that my Bentley for Volkswagen Jetta A5 is missing a few pages for the "Jetta BGQ 2.5L Engine Management - From May 2005". Starting on Page EWD - 40, the pages for Fuel Injectors, Throttle / Accelerator Pedal, Coils, Fuel Pump / Relays / Gauge, Upstream O2 Sensor, and other things ... is missing ... but then you probably already knew that.

I had to use the diagrams for the BGP 2.5L engine.

I've been trying to get the "Passetta" ready to go to the dealership for the 12-year-rust-through warranty work ... I'm getting close.

Are you sure this is the case?

Isn't there a split of production showing all the BGQ WD from 2004/11> and then 2006/6 >?

Maybe that is why you keep messing up?

Doesn't air bag section WD show up to 5 different dates, country area or type and productions in WD?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, for the Jetta 2.5L engine management, my Bentley lists these diagrams ...

- Engine Management 2.5L engine code BGP (from May 2005) - EWD-51
    - Engine Management 2.5L engine code BGP (from July 2006) - EWD-369
    - Engine Management 2.5L engine code BGQ (from May 2005) - EWD-40 <----------------> (This is the one that's incomplete)
    - Engine Management 2.5L engine code BGQ (from July 2006) - EWD-358
    - Engine Management 2.5L engine code CBTA, CBUA (from July 2007) - EWD-294
    - Engine Management 2.5L engine code CBTA, CBUA (from Dec. 2008) - EWD-390

With the exception of EWD-40 above (BGQ 2.5L - from May 2005) ... all the rest are COMPLETE Engine Management wiring diagrams. And I've only found the omissions with the BGQ 2.5L Engine Management diagrams beginning on page EWD-40 ... nothing else.

I haven't found any omissions for the rest of the Bentley diagrams, including the Airbag System diagrams ... they seem to be complete. Bentley has them for US and Canadian vehicles ... here's USA (EXCEPT the SportWagen and BPY 2.0t) ...

- Airbag System EWD-162 (from Nov. 2004)
    - Airbag System EWD-166 (from May 2005)
    - Airbag System EWD-190 (from July 2006)
    - Airbag System EWD-305 (from July 2008)

And I was incorrect when I said I used the BGP diagrams for my engine ... I used the BGQ diagrams from July 2006 on page EWD-358 for my 2005 Jetta (and only where items were missing from EWD-40).

If you have the Bentley Service Manual for A5 Jetta from 2005-2010 ... check it out.
    Last edited by Geoffzie; 03-10-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: missing info

Post Thanks / Like
    No sir mine is complete ......

RB and ERWIN............green lite!

I am not just questioning years on air-bag but also types observed?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bentley shows 19 different wiring diagrams for Airbag System for MK5 Jetta 2005 - 2010 USA and Canada.

Only the Canadian diagrams show the options of "Front Only without Head airbag", "Front and Rear with head airbag", etc ... the USA diagrams show no such distinctions. I assume that's what you mean by "type"?

Bentley airbag diagrams list no "type" other than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well don't you think you better read them all and figure out which one is correct?