Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) 010 - Open or Short

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffzie View Post
    I know when I purchased the car that someone had disconnected the seat belt connectors on the floor under the driver's and passenger's seats ... apparently, they didn't wear seat-belts and didn't like the constant "dinging"! I've reconnected all those and seat belt warning light and chime in the cluster works now.
    In the light of that comment, they may well have removed or disabled the SRS warning light, or cut a wire to it? Time to check the WD methinks.

2. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had already briefly looked at Bentley's wiring diagrams for the Instrument Cluster and Airbags ... didn't see any obvious wires connecting the two ... apparently, the signal for the MIL comes through the CANbus?

Maybe they just got in there and started cutting wires ... until the light went out! Might explain why the driver's door crash sensor doesn't work!

I'll have to check into it further when I get the car back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffzie View Post
    apparently, the signal for the MIL comes through the CANbus?
    I believe that's correct, but it's a signal to turn the Airbag MIL OFF.

The Airbag MIL should be ON by default, e.g. if the Airbag module is missing or off-line entirely, it should still be on, whereas a happy Airbag module turns it OFF..

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    That makes sense Uwe ... but since the "Address 15: Airbags" shows up on the VCDS scan (my first post here) with only one fault ... the G179 Crash Sensor ... that leads me to believe they've covered over the MIL light some how in the cluster.

If they had cut CAN wires ... or Airbag wires ... I would think I'd have other faults showing.

I probably won't get back to this until next week.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I checked all the airbag fuses ... all OK. I also pulled the Airbag Control Module out of the center console ... and found at least part of the problem. Lots of electrical tape, soldered and cut wires!

Turns out they had cut the brown and lilac wires going to the driver's door crash sensor. But it also looks like they initially tried to jumper the drivers door sensor G179 ... to the passenger's door sensor G180! The two wires for the Passenger's sensor had been cut and re-soldered, with the remnants showing of the brown and lilac wires from the driver's sensor!

When that didn't work, they just cut them back apart ... and left the driver's door sensor wires unconnected.

I also pulled the instrument cluster ... took it apart, and found friction tape over the airbag light, underneath the speedometer face! (probably was a last resort when all other plans failed)

So, I replaced and re-soldered the two G179 crash sensor wires ... removed the friction tape in the cluster ... reassembled everything and ... STILL getting the same fault for the G179 crash sensor!

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1K0-909-605.lbl
    Control Module Part Number: 1K0 909 605 E HW: 1K0 909 605 E
    Component and/or Version: 1S AIRBAG VW8R 024 6300
    Software Coding: 0012627
    Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 000 00000
    Additional Info: 1K0959339B BF-Gewichtsens. 006 0003
    Additional Info: Geraet 00000
    VCID: 2E0606BBAC12E1D7D04-807A
    1 Fault Found:

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
    010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON

I turn the key on ... the airbag light comes on ... I start the car, the airbag light first goes out ... but then comes back on within seconds! (I assume when the system can't find the G179).

I'm going to do a continuity test from the crash sensor connector in the door ... all the way to the airbag control module plug. They may have cut the wires elsewhere too! If that fails I could replace the airbag module ... they may have fried something inside when they jumpered the wires. I might also try the driver's sensor in the passengers door ... that would at least tell me if the sensor was good.

I found no corrosion or bent pins in the Airbag Control Module connector by the way.

Any other ideas?

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man that is serious FOD butcher shop block ..........

You have to fix and tone out all tracks for FOD and maybe even overlay or change the harness.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts

www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, this is getting strange!

Today I checked the ENTIRE wire run from the Airbag Control Module to the drivers door crash sensor ... both wires checked out good. Then I rechecked the door harness from the crash sensor connector to the A-Pillar connector ... good. Then I checked from the A-Pillar plug to the Airbag Control Module plug ... also good.

There's absolutely no corrosion in the Airbag Control Module plug ... all the pins and sockets look good.

Ok, so maybe it's a fried Airbag Control Module ... so I purchased another used Airbag Control Module from Pull-a-Part (same year Jetta - same part number; 1K0 909 605 E). I installed it, started the car, reset the passenger's seat sensor, cleared the codes ... the G179 fault code comes back AGAIN!

So, as a last resort ... I had another "1k0 955 557 b" crash sensor, and another connector ... so I decided to try and connect it directly to the Airbag Control Module plug ... and bypass the rest of the harness, including the door harness completely ... but I'm STILL getting a G179 fault code!!!

How can that be? 3 different crash sensors ... 2 different Airbag Control Modules ... 2 different door wiring harnesses (current one new) ... and bypassing the Airbag harness all together! I'm beginning to see why they taped off the Airbag light!

I'm out of ideas!

By the way ... should the airbags still work, if there's a fault within the system? (I know, only one way to find out!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    "1K0 909 605 E" is not a complete part number for an airbag module. You also need to take the index/color-code/suffix into account on these.

The complete part number of the one in your scan in the first post is: "1K0 909 605 E /01S"

Have you checked whether that's actually correct for your particular car?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

10. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uwe, I called the VW Dealer today, they said the current Part number for my VIN is; 1K0 909 605 AC - 084 ... they said the previous part number they show was 1K0 909 605 AB (didn't give me a suffix for that one).

So I looked up 1K0 909 605 AC up on eBay ...there were used ones out of Jettas from 2007 to 2013. So I guess VW is selling these later airbag modules as a retrofit for earlier VW Jetta's? But just because that's what the dealership is currently selling doesn't mean that's what the car came with ... does it? The 2005 Jetta at Pull-a-Part had the same part number as mine; 1K0 909 605 E (I don't know where (or if) the suffix is shown on the module).

I checked Bentley's Airbag WD through 2008 ... and the pin-outs for the door crash sensors are the same on all 2005-2008 and later Jettas. Also, the replacement crash sensors are the same part number from 2005 - 2009.

I guess the bottom line is ... a wrong airbag module might cause functionality faults or problems ... but since the pin-outs and sensors haven't changed for the door sensors, it shouldn't cause an electrical short ... should it? Especially if I had the sensor wired directly to the module, bypassing the wiring harness completely.

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
    010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON

Also, I took the driver's seat out yesterday, since it looks like they taped some wires up under there too. But I can't see from the WD that the door crash sensors are wired to anything under the driver's seat.

I might take another trip to Pull-a-Part to take a good look at the wiring under the driver's seat ... to see what it's SUPPOSED to look like!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Again, the base part number is not sufficient. You need the correct index/color-code/suffix. Even if the wiring to the crash sensors is generally the same, there are also different flavors of crash sensors and the index/color-code/suffix determines which ones are compatible and which ones aren't.

I'm going to leave it at that. Due to liability concerns, Ross-Tech will not support installing any used airbag components.

-Uwe-

13. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post